Author Topic: tightness as part of facial paralysis healing??  (Read 2773 times)

amymeri

tightness as part of facial paralysis healing??
« on: July 22, 2006, 05:54:26 pm »
Can you share with me your recovery experience with facial paralysis?  I have noticed a significant increase in the tight feeling in my affected side, along with the redevelopment of my nose to mouth crease. The tone of my cheek is better and I can move the corner of my mouth a tiny bit.  All this makes me happy, except the intense tightness of my nostril, cheek and upper lip.

Did anyone experience this tightness as a part of their healing?  I don't think it is a residual hypertonic muscle..it doesn't feel like the muscle is clenched, just a tightness of the skin and right under the surface.  Did the tightness relax eventually?  Sometimes it is so bad it affects my speech! 

Amy :o
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

Raydean

Re: tightness as part of facial paralysis healing??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 06:16:34 pm »
Amy

I could be off base, but we were told that the return of tone precedes motion.  So if this is the return of tone it could be the start of good things to come.!!!!  At least that's what I'm hoping it means!
Have a great day.

Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

matti

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 07:35:39 pm »
I had what I call the "tight ponytail" feeling that extended from the corner of my mouth to the side of my head. After a certain amount of wait and recovery time, I was given some exercises to do. It took quite a while for some of the tight feeling to diminish. I developed synkenisis (sp?), so I still do have tightness in areas.

I does get better, but I would talk to your doctor and see what they advise.
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 07:50:20 am »
I had tightness as well. Massaging your face will help.  I recently went to see a facial therapist, Todd in Pittsburgh. He's wonderful!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

kimmy

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 01:41:22 pm »
I had facial paralysis after my translab operation 11 months ago. Then I had the dry eye and mouth that most of us know. It gradually got better over 6 months and then my cheek became tight.My eye tears, especially when I chew, and I can't open my mouth fully yet. I still have dry mouth too. I think this is synkinesis. I am very conscious of it but friends say it is hardly noticeable now. I say that when I can whistle properly again I'll know I'm OK. Anyway MRI next week and then my follow up.
Fingers crossed please!
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005