Author Topic: Too much hearing for a hearing aid?  (Read 6367 times)

Susan A

Too much hearing for a hearing aid?
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:17:25 pm »
I've lost enough hearing in my left ear that I know I miss a lot of what people say, especially when they are on my left side. I've had two different doctors give me different opinions - one says I have 'enough useful hearing' in my left ear to benefit from a hearing aid. The other says I have 'too much' hearing to benefit from a hearing aid because I seemed to be able to hear his voice OK and that it won't help me when there's background noise. I understand that a hearing aid might not help me when there is a lot of background noise, but I'm hoping it will help with the frequencies I've lost - women's and children's voices.

Who's right? Would it depend on the brand of hearing aid? I'm hoping I don't have to spend $$ on a hearing aid only to find that it doesn't help!
2011 8 x 7 mm AN, & 20 x 22 mm M found, both on the left. Mosaic NF2 diagnosed. Some hearing loss
2014 hearing 30% on left, now using hearing aid (HA)
2015 Now have CROS HA - no longer hear enough for HA to be useful in AN ear
2016 Use an FM system on occasion at work to supplement HA

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Too much hearing for a hearing aid?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:56:34 pm »
Susan

Hearing aids are very adjustable.  Yes most of them have anywhere from two to four programs that the audiologist that can set specifically for your hearing needs.  So if you buy an aid that has different programs, one of them can be set for 'back ground" noise.

The other thing you need to know is that they all come with at least a 30 day and many have a 60 trial period.  So you can buy it and wear it for awhile, and if it doesn't give you what you want you can your money back.

TJ

Susan A

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:46:26 am »
Thanks TJ - that's very helpful!
2011 8 x 7 mm AN, & 20 x 22 mm M found, both on the left. Mosaic NF2 diagnosed. Some hearing loss

mattsmum

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:24:54 am »
my audiologist says an aid may be of benefit when the loss is >/= about 55 - 60dB.
vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:22:56 pm »
Only a hearing test will determine how much hearing you have and which hearing aids do you need to benefit from.  Do not let the doctors judge you because you can and cannot hear from what he sees.
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:14 pm »
My dr told me a hearing aid wouldn't do me any good & that noise would only be amplified. I decided to try one out anyway. The dr was right about the hearing aid not helping me with conversations. My word recognition is at 20%. However, no one mentioned to me that it would be very helpful with directionality outdoors. Because of this, I always have it set on the outdoor setting. Not only that, but it helps mask my tinnitus. It took me a few weeks to get used to my hearing aid. Some sounds such as running water from the tap sound like clicks. I've gotten used the clicks & profer to be outdoors with my hearing aid that without it.

It doesn't hurt to test drive one for a month.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

dougs

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:59:13 pm »
Post op from surgery on August 1st.  I had a hearing test today inorder to establish a baseline for my affected ear.  I was told to expect total loss but found out today that I am recognizing just more than 65% of words spoken.  It seems that the higher pitches are the most effected and also I have tininutis.  The audiologist/Dr has scheduled another appointment for next Friday.  She says that she would like to recommend one that would amplify the sounds that I am not hearing yet allow me to hear others.  I am just curious if anyone has any recommendations or words of advice.  I was not expecting this so a little caught off guard.

Thanks
AN Dia 7-26-11   4cm x 3cm x 3cm
Retrosigmoid removal 8-1-11 Scripps LJMH

Susan A

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 06:02:05 pm »
My hearing loss is up to 60 dB at certain frequencies, but next to none at others. I now have a Phonak S Smart IX hearing aid (got it 2 days ago.) The audiologist has not programmed it yet, and has set it so that it is not at full power - she will finish the set-up next Tuesday. So far - it definitely has increased what I'm hearing. I had no idea the beeps the photocopier at work makes were so unpleasantly piercing! It did seem to make it easier for me to hear some conversations. Unfortunately, it is also picking up too much background noise. I had to turn it off when I was having lunch in a restaurant yesterday. Even when things are quiet it seems to generate a fair amount of 'static' at times (but not all the time). I'm also very aware of having something poking into my ear - although it is incredibly discrete and not one person has noticed I'm wearing it even when they were looking for it!! I'm looking forward to the audiologist  finishing the programming on Tuesday so I can figure out whether I really want it or not at this point.

YYZAN

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:14:49 pm »
My NA caused some hearing loss before treatment and now 12 months post Gama Knife  treatment I have 35% hearing loss.  What I understand from my audiologist is that the important number is NOT the percentage hearing loss but the ability to discern words.  My word recognition is still 100%.  I am told if one does not have good word recognition then a hearing aid can be frustrating as it just amplifies the din but with good recognition scores it really helps
I first tried a Phonak Nano (as I did not want people to know I was wearing a hearing aid) but did not like the plugged ear feeling.  I am now really enjoying my Phonak Audeo Smart and even though it is behind my ear with my hair cut no one can see it.

gringadactyl

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »
I test drove a hearing aid and found it didn't help me - amplified the sounds I didn't want to hear.  Now, though, I'm working on testing a CROS system.  My understanding is the nerve itself is damaged so a traditional hearing aid wouldn't be very helpful (not sure if that's the universal experience for AN?  My loss is more related to cyberknife than the AN itself). 

It's taken me a while to realize the hearing loss on one side is about more than hearing levels, but about creating a whole sound picture.  Without certain signals on that side, directionality is difficult, and, I don't know, something about focus of sound that affects me socially. 

I'm glad you're trying out your options - I think the right answer is generally... "whatever works!"  What did you decide?