Author Topic: Newbie Here - Need Your Insight  (Read 3570 times)

C-Biscuit

Newbie Here - Need Your Insight
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:06:23 am »
Hi - Just had an MRI done this week to rule out acoustic neuroma.  Do not have it (good) however I now need to figure out what is wrong with me.  First symptoms started about 3 mos ago - pounding in my left ear (about 1-2 times per day, usually at work).  The pounding is random and feels like someone is tap dancing or a drumbeat (sounds muffled).  Then the pounding started occurring when I hear a noise - like a reverberation or feedback (think of a construction site when you first hear the pounding of a hammer and then hear the echo afterward).  I now feel the click/reverberation after I complete a sentence and it will still happen randomly on its own.  I also (for entire 3 months) have felt some random vertigo (maybe once a day, not frequent).  Feels like my whole body freezes up and if I take another step I will fall off a cliff, like I am floating...this is a split second type of feeling and it is scary.  Feels like my sight "jumps" when this happens too.  Now as I sit at my desk I feel my head kind of leaning towards the left (my bad ear), like I am floating.  I have also been nauseous fairly frequently and have tinnitus all day (but MUCH worse at night b/c there is no background sounds to block it).  My ear also feels full and is sometimes painful, but I still have good hearing (although I am finding that loud noises - i.e. my kids crying / listening to music will bother me - it doesn't hurt it's just uncomfortable, like nails on a chalkboard).  My right ear has some pain as well (no other symptoms with it).  There is no fluid in my ears (doctor already checked).  I am waiting to hear from the MD to tell me what is next (ENT appointment I guess).  But does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?  Sounds like some kind of inner ear issue I guess...there are so many common symptoms.  I am worried that I could lose my hearing if this continues much longer especially since the symptoms have progressed so quickly....any insight would help.  I hate how I feel right now. THANK YOU!!!

This is a great site - unbelievable support system.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Newbie Here - Need Your Insight
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:50 am »
Hi C-Biscuit .....

First of all, it is good that you do not have an acoustic neuroma, but bad that you still have no answers and a relief from your symptoms.

I am not a doctor, but there are many inner ear disturbances (e.g. Meniere's Disease) that can mimic symptoms of an AN.  Hopefully further tests at a visit to the ENT will assist in a correct diagnosis and treatment plan.

Just want to make sure your MRI was done with contrast ..... if it was not, it is possible to have a small AN and it not be seen.  If it was done with contrast, with a reliable machine and read by an experienced radiologist, it is very accurate in picking up even a tiny AN.

Best wishes for an accurate diagnosis and relief from your symptoms.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

C-Biscuit

Re: Newbie Here - Need Your Insight
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:52:11 am »
Hi - Thanks so much for getting back to me.  Yes, it was done with and without contrast.  When I do speak to the doctor I will certainly ask about the radiologist.  I do know that even the smallest of AN's could cause symptoms.