Author Topic: 2 year post GK MRI  (Read 4741 times)

Louise UK

2 year post GK MRI
« on: November 29, 2011, 02:28:32 pm »
Hi there everyone,

I've recently had my 2 year post GK MRI. It showed that my AN is slightly larger than last year. My 1 year MRI showed that my AN has significantly reduced in size from pre GK. So im just wondering if anyone knows whether it is normal for AN's to significanlty reduce in size 1 year post GK and then increase slightly 1 year later? I know that AN's can swell post GK, which I was expecting to see last year. Also it was the first time I saw my new consultant as my surgeon has retired and he didnt seem to know an awful lot about GK. So I did leave his office quite upset and unsure of what is going on. I just feel like will never be able to just get on with my life and be happy again  :'( Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Louise. x

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 2 year post GK MRI
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:49:01 pm »
Hi, Louise ~

I'm sorry to learn of your distress following your latest MRI scan and the indication of an increase in the tumor's size.  Of course radiated acoustic neuromas do swell but two years out is a rather long time to see swelling, although certainly not unheard of, I'm sure.  You may or may not be aware that MRI scan results can and do vary slightly depending on the machine and the operator.  This is why it's a good idea to try and have your annual MRI performed on the same scanner in the same facility, when possible.  However, we have to ultimately depend on doctors for the results and when there is a change, it needs to be studied by the physician and explained to us, whether the news is good or not-so-good.  In light of this reality, I would suggest seeking out another doctor with more experience treating AN radiation patients and that has an interest in your well being, although I realize this may not be entirely feasible in your country's health care system.  I'll mention that if you are not aware of any new or revived AN symptoms, that would likely indicate that the tumor has not actually grown.  If swelling is the culprit, steroids are usually prescribed and are generally efficacious.   I do hope that you can get this stressful situation resolved because you have every right to want to 'be happy again', as we all do.  Please keep us updated on your quest for peace of mind.  Thank you.

Jim     
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Louise UK

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 11:14:45 am »
Hi Jim,

Thank you for responding to my post. I did forget to mention in my post that my recent MRI scan was done in a different machine to last year and this was pointed out when I saw my consultant. My consultant did say that my eye sockets and ears looked a different size in my recent scan, so the increase in size could be due, like you say,  to the machine or operator or my position. It just seemed like my consultant didn't know anything for certain and this just adds to my stress. I will take your advice Jim and get another doctors opinion. I will get in touch with the doctor who performed my GK treatment, he does know a lot more about GK. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Louise. x

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 01:29:54 pm »
I can honestly say that I know the feelings of concern. I am almost 4 years out and my last scan showed it to be slightly bigger ??? Dr. Medbery said scan again in 6 months. I am sitting on pins and needles to see what 6 months brings. I had my original scans done in 1 machine but the last 2 done in the same so I'm not sure what to think anymore. One day at a time. Please keep us posted.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Louise UK

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:34:08 pm »
The waiting is torture isn't it, I want to know whats going on now! I'll let u know when I hear something. x

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 06:29:39 pm »
I agree torture. Have you posted on the forum Dr. M is on? There is a link under radiation forum topic cybetknife website. Phyl knows the web address. Dr m is no longer on cyberknife.com forum.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:02:59 pm »
I agree torture. Have you posted on the forum Dr. M is on? There is a link under radiation forum topic cybetknife website. Phyl knows the web address. Dr m is no longer on cyberknife.com forum.

Dr Medbery can now be found on http://patientforum.therss.org/  Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"