Author Topic: Diagnosed yesterday  (Read 8404 times)

Chelle

Re: Diagnosed yesterday
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 11:09:39 am »
Thanks Mickey!  Did you get the steroids orally or via IT injection?  I'm hoping to wait and watch for the rest of my life!  I'm staying positive, but am also trying to be prepared for whatever comes up.  We can't always control what happens to us, but we can control how we respond!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Michelle
1 cm right ear
Diagnosed 11/15/11
Wait and see, currently getting other opinions

Chances3

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 12:09:00 pm »
Hi Michelle,

I'm sorry to hear about your AN, but you have come to the right place for info.  I am a patient of Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos so I have a lot to say.  I was diagnosed with my AN in the summer of 2010.  In the beginning of 2010 I was having vertigo attacks that averaged every 5-8 days.  They were full spins, picture yourself strapped to The Wheel of Fortune and spun.  They lasted 2-3 minutes and felt like an eternity.  I would turn green, become soaking wet in my sweat and be sick for a few days.  It would also increase the ring in my ear ( I have Meniere"s disease ).  I remember saying I would do anything to have this stop.  I met Dr. Roland in September he explained surgery to me - the middle fossa approach.  He also wanted me to meet with Dr. Golfinos.  Dr. Golfinos explained radiation to me.  These doctors were never bias towards either treatment.  Dr. Roland even gave me the link to this site to learn from.  I felt that I was not in a wait and see period.  I wanted this thing out of my head, I told Dr. Golfinos that I would prefer surgery.  At the time, I was in great shape, running 3 miles every other day, so I felt I could handle surgery.  Like yourself, I am the rock in my family.  Before booking my operation, I did see Dr. Selesnick, for another consultation.  He seemed to be a very experienced and highly skilled surgeon as well.  In the fall of 2010 I had a middle fossa operation with Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos.  My facial muscles were preserved, my hearing works, although it has diminished somewhat.  My recovery was not a "normal" recovery and I struggled with all types of problems.  It took me 10 months before I could return to work full steam, and the vertigo attacks have finally gone away !!  Dr. Roland handles your care after post op, he is a very caring doctor, who always replied to my calls.  The nursing staff at NYUM is fantastic, although the physical surroundings are a little old, the level of care was top notch. 

If your symptoms are manageable, I would suggest you take the time to learn as much as you can before making any decisions.  If you do decide on surgery, I can say that Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos are highly trained and very experienced surgeons, so you have no worry about that.  If there is anything I can do to help you, feel free to email me, and I will give you my number.  During my long recovery, I had support from wonderful people on this site, and the head of the NY ANA chapter who I spent some time talking to, wondering when I would feel better again.  Don't rush into anything.  Keep me posted.

God Bless
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:40:44 pm by Chances3 »

Mickey

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 10:34:45 pm »
 Hi Michelle, The steriods I took were orally for 5 days if I remember correctly. I was like the energizer bunny... but they worked for me. Take your time everything will fall into place and enjoy your holidays... Mickey