Author Topic: Depression before surgery  (Read 6028 times)

godftamm

Depression before surgery
« on: November 17, 2011, 01:22:27 am »
Hi I'm new to this, I found out in September that I have A.N. 3.5 cm to 4.6 cm that's sitting on my brain stem. I have had depression for many years and was told by a doctor that the depression will go away after surgery but I'm having trouble believing it. What do you think ;D Having surgery Dec 1st

TP

Re: Depression before surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 07:13:08 am »
First of all I am very sorry to hear you have an AN and hope and pray your surgery on 12/1 is a success.

I too had a large AN on my brain stem. For years I was treated for one condition (prescribed medications) and learned later that my chest pain was not esphogeal reflux but in fact I had anxiety. My dr prescribed me Buspar (this was years ago) and I took it for 3 months and have not had any issues (chest pain or anxiousness) since. During that time I had my AN but did not know it so there could be some connection. Never asked my Dr so I don't know for sure if these conditions were connected.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Chances3

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:21:38 pm »
Hi godftamm,

Welcome to this site.  There are many people on here that really care and I am sure they will be replying to your post shortly.  I am sorry you have to go through with surgery, my AN was removed from my 8th cranial nerve, but the doctors told me it was very deep inside.  My youngest son revealed to us in his first year of college that he was very depressed etc.  We pulled him from the college brought him home and got him counseling.  They had him on medication for a while.  He was diagnosed as bipolar, but he has really worked through most of his symptoms.  I wish I had better advice or information about how to help you, perhaps other members will weigh in.  But I wanted to share with you, that you need to take one day at a time, and one thing at time.  Deal with your surgery first and the recovery.  You can focus on your depression once you have recovered from your operation.  I hope all goes well with the surgery.  Stay in touch with the members here on this site. 

God Bless.

godftamm

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 04:50:59 pm »
THank you for letting me knoe. I'm really just worried about side effects right now.

psmix

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 06:17:05 pm »
I also had a large tumor pressing on my brain stem (not quite as large as yours) and was prone to depression for a number of years before discovering the AN and having surgery. Emotionally I felt a LOT better after the tumor was gone! It might be due to taking time off of work for the recovery and "destressing", and maybe the fact that I make sure now to get plenty of sleep, but I also think that removing the tumor has something to do with it. Mine was on my right side. I have a theory that the pressure from the tumor was constricting blood flow (mildly) to the parts of my brain that experience emotion. (I have no scientific or medical evidence to back this up!) Out of curiosity, what side is your tumor?
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 04:43:42 pm »
I'm not a doctor - or any other type of medical professional - but I'm doubtful that having AN surgery can end depression.

Lots of patients actually experience depression post op; I know I did.

My solution was to get a BAHA - since my depression was due to being SSD (single-side deaf).

Others have sought therapy and/or taken medication for a time.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

godftamm

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:36:32 pm »
Hi, had my surgery i was told the tumor was 4.5 to 5 cm but when they got in there it was bigger. I wish I had someone to talk to about how I'm feeling and the changes but it so had to look up stuff on this site at times it driving me crazy

Brewers7

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 01:29:17 pm »
I too had a very large tumor which had gotten to my brainstem.  I struggled with serious depression for months after my surgery(along with various complications).  My surgeon told me, at one point, that my life would not always be this way.  He was right.  I leaned on my faith as I got through the dark days.  Please stay in touch.  Better days ahead.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010