Author Topic: TransEar  (Read 4360 times)

Mei Mei

TransEar
« on: May 18, 2012, 06:35:46 pm »
Today I went to an audiologist for help with my father's hearing aides.   I asked him about myself and he said that I have to bring in a my audiogram in order to get a true evaluation.   I was told before that the TransEars are really great.   Hard to sift this information.   

So now I am down to Phonak CROS and TransEar. 
Still have time on my side.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: TransEar
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 06:46:04 pm »
The thing to consider, and it is a totally personal decision, is if you want something actually in your ear canal. If you are ok with that then you might be comfortable with the TransEar. Since you can have a free trial with the Cros, you will know for sure if you like that or not.  Good luck.
Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 06:56:56 pm »
Thank you for this information.   I didn't know until reading today that there is a free trial with the CROS.   If then that the CROS doesn't work out for me, then I will make the trip to Johnson City Tenn to do the TransEar with Dr. Schumaier in Johnson City.   I still have time.   I know that the Sonitus SoundBite is a Pilot Study that you have to pay the dentist over $1500 and then be responsible for the remaining $7K after a year of appealing my insurance which I already know won't pay for.   Have got to stay with the simpler better options.   Right now I am fine with SSD so will take my time as time is money and I don't have that to throw around especially now that I am single sided deaf.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:10:16 pm »
Mei Mei -

the TransEar has proven to be a great option for those who chose it - Katie Bonner (KBonner) is one who comes to mind.

The key is that it must be molded correctly so it fits just right.

Years ago there were problems with the wiring on the TransEar (often needed to be repaired) but that issue was resolved by the time I became SSD from my surgery (almost 5 years ago).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:09 am »
Yes, Jan.    I know the fitting is a problem, but somewhere on here a woman decided to drive there and see Dr. Schumaier who invented it in Johnson City.    He does this all the time and the others only every few years.    You know some of us travelled all the way to LA House for their surgery.     Being set up for failure with an audiologist who knows little about TransEar is not necessary if you go to the horses's mouth in Johnson City, Tenn.   He said you check in on a Monday morning and come back on Thursday to pick up the device.  He said to then explore Tenn and they have the great Smokey Mountains.    May for the money I save by not being in a Pilot Study with Dr. Monfared, I could go to a Spa for a few days near Graceland and check out Elvis and still have money left over.    It's an 8 hour drive from DC, so I take a flight to a nearby city and drive over.   

The other choice is the CROS.   It's right in my neighborhood and the doctor was raved about on Angie's List.   For those of you in the Maryland/DC VA area, his name is Dr. Zolt in Silver Spring.

Good luck with whatever you choose,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 10:06:59 am »
I forgot to mention that CROS has a free 90 day trial   so I intend to do this trial and if I am happy with it I will stick with it.     Correct me if I am wrong, TransEar you can return after 30 days.      Dr. Monfared didn't offer any comfortable option such as these other companies.

Check out the NIH Trials if you really must have a SoundBite and if there is one in a town near you, give it a try just like Arasha.     Clinical trails and 90 or 30 day trials are the way to go to educate yourselves.   When you buy a new car, don't you go on a test drive?
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

MDbluz

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 09:10:27 pm »
Both the Surgeon that removed my NA & another hospital's ENT and Audiologist are recommending the Soundbite, but because of the charging issue I am considering the Transear. Do they get comparable results?
MD

Cynaburst

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 10:44:58 pm »
I have had a Transear for about 6 years or so.  I had the original version and then upgraded a couple of years ago.  My experience has been that the Transear has broken periodically since I have had it.  It is usually the wire (although they have improved it over the years), but I have had to bring it in to my audiologist and have it sent back to Tennessee at least 4 or 5 times since I have owned it.

It does help me, and that is why I keep having it fixed, but the warranty is only a year and then I have had to pay out of pocket to have it fixed.

I don't know about the Soundbite and how it works, but something to consider....