Author Topic: Neuromonics to treat Tinnitus  (Read 3321 times)

Chances3

Neuromonics to treat Tinnitus
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:47:29 pm »
Hi All,

My doctor has suggested Neuromonic therapy for the treatment of my tinnitus.  I haven't spoken to him about the details or if the following link is what he is suggesting.  However, I would try anything for some relief.  Has anyone used this device, and what were your results?

Thanks,

Bob

http://www.neuromonics.com/

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Neuromonics to treat Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »
Bob .....

I have not tried this personally.  I have talked with Dr. Vasilike Rauch (see: http://www.chicagoear.com/Our%20Practice/audiologists.html ) who has presented at both the 2009 and 2011 ANA Symposiums.  I have also talked with two different audiologists with doctorates in audiology and trained to do the Neuromonics program.

They all agreed that there was a 50/50 chance Neuromonics might help my tinnitus.  In my case, my perception of  tinnitus is much worse in my deaf ear, but it is also perceived to a lesser degree in my "good hearing" ear.  The problem is that in order for the neuromonics to work, one must have hearing.

It is a very expensive program, but most places have a short term money-back guarantee, if it does not seem to be helping.  I guess I'm just not willing to "put myself out there" for fear it will not help.

From my reading and research, it seems that most of us with tinnitus in a deaf ear, find it changes from tolerable to intolerable, depending upon other factors ..... fatigue, too much ambient noise (fans, music, etc.), too much caffeine, stressed, etc.  I'm watching the treatment research on this carefully, but I have to admit I am very skeptical that anything will work in all of these various situations.

Just my thoughts .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Chances3

Re: Neuromonics to treat Tinnitus
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 01:28:59 pm »
Thanks Clarice,

I am one of the lucky ones, my hearing was preserved, albeit at a reduced level.  My tinnitus grew worse after surgery and is definitely a quality of life issue for me.  I read that it can cost anywhere from 4500 to 6000 dollars, yikes that's a lot of money!  With a bill like that, I'll go from tinnitus to migraines.  I doubt insurance companies will cover such therapy.  I always appreciate your advice.