Author Topic: Phonax Cros Hearing Aid?  (Read 24099 times)

Phillies

Phonax Cros Hearing Aid?
« on: November 11, 2011, 04:02:25 pm »
I had my first hearing test since my surgery, and as I already knew there was no hearing. My audiogram does show a trace of hearing at one frequency range but bascically no hearing. The audiologist di dshow me the Phonak Cros hearing aid. My good ear has normal hearing and apparenty this might be an option for me. I'm still not too sure how it works or what it actually does though. The anyone have one or know more about it?

Susan A

Re: Phonax Cros Hearing Aid?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:45:52 pm »
I have a Phonak Audéo S Smart IX and my audiologist said that should I ever become SSD it can work with a Cros hearing aid. We didn't get into detail as hopefully it will be along time before I ever need it, but I got the impression that what happens is a hearing aid on your deaf side transmits the sound to your good ear. There is a tiny delay, that your brain learns to process so that you are aware the sound is coming from the direction of your deaf ear.

I may have misunderstood her though . . . Hmm - the Phonak website [url]http://www.phonak.com[url] says about the Cros  "The transmitter placed behind or inside your poorer ear, picks up sound and transmits it wirelessly to the normal hearing ear. The hearing in your good ear will remain natural and completely unaffected."
2011 8 x 7 mm AN, & 20 x 22 mm M found, both on the left. Mosaic NF2 diagnosed. Some hearing loss
2014 hearing 30% on left, now using hearing aid (HA)
2015 Now have CROS HA - no longer hear enough for HA to be useful in AN ear
2016 Use an FM system on occasion at work to supplement HA

Phillies

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 08:00:53 pm »
Thanks. It's hard to find alot of info about this. So if I put the phone up to my non working ear I'll hear the phone from my other ear??  And if I go to a restuarant where right now it's hard to hear somebody on my deaf side, with the Cross I should be able to hear them, at least a little better? And if all the sound is in my good ear, how does the CROS help with sound direction like it claims? Or am I missing something with this?  ???  ???

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:19:02 am »
There have been many discussions over the years here re: CROS (have seen it in action). Here is one of many discussions that may be of interest re: CROS:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=12274.msg979722294#msg979722294

If you go to the Forum Home page, in the "Search" box (top/right) and type "CROS", you will see the many conversations.... maybe provide further inputs from others? just a thought.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Phillies

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 07:11:41 am »
Thanks. I did do a search several times but I'm still at a loss with this device. In the link that you posted the user complains that it's like "wearing beer cans on her head" but when my audiologist showed this device to me yesterday is was very TINY. Not sure if she just showed me the wrong one or they have since gotten smaller...

Paul F

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 12:39:46 pm »
I wear a Phonak Cros aid due to SSD in the left ear and a Phonak aid in the better ear which also has a hearing loss.  These units are programed in accordance with my hearing tests and work together.  I find them very effective.  When I first lost my hearing about 7 years ago, I was fitted with a Phonak Bi-Cros.  Back then, only wired units were available which required a wire to run behind your head from aid to aid. Many problems with these.  I have tried just having an aid in the good ear and did that for a few years and then went with the BAHA.  BAHA wasn't for me so after 2 years with it, I had the abutment removed and have gone to the new Phonak Cros and it is fantastic.

I still cannot get direction of sound like I would like but I don't think there is any help for that available at this time.

Everyone is different.  This worked for me but may not for everyone.

Paul

Phillies

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 12:51:38 pm »
Interesting. The brochure and the website for the Cros talk about how great it is for directional sound. But I'm not sure how that is possible if all the hearing is still in the good ear. Does the Cros help at all if somebody is talking on your deaf side in a resuarant for example?

Paul F

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 03:25:02 pm »
Yes, it does help.  You no longer have "head shadow".  The person on the left sounds just as loud as the one on the right.  Problem is, you can't tell which side the sound is coming from.  With normal hearing, the brain does all the work for you but I don't believe at this time, there is a device that can do that for you.  Only if you had a little hearing in the bad ear and the brain can still sort things out some.

I hope this helps.  No matter what type of aid, the same problem exists.

Paul

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 06:45:48 pm »
I know this thread was started related to the Cros hearing aid, but I did want to comment on Paul's reply on the "head shadow" effect.  The bone-anchored hearing devices also eliminate the head shadow effect.

I have an Oticon Ponto Pro bone-anchored hearing device and I am one of the ones who has recovered some directionality.  My audiologist explained that hearing is a function of the brain ..... the ears are simply the vehicle transmitting sound to the brain.  Sound from the right ear goes to the left hemisphere.  Sound from the left ear goes to the right hemisphere and then back to the left hemisphere for language processing.  I am SSD on the left so I have no longer have sound input going to the right hemisphere.  However, the language center in the left hemisphere of my brain has apparently learned to distinguish the sounds coming from the processor through my only auditory nerve, from those of my normal hearing through that nerve.  Most of the time I turn in the correct direction upon hearing a sound ..... especially voices.

I am very aware that many Ponto or BAHA users do not regain directionality, but it can happen.  My audiologist feels like the shorter the time a person is SSD, the greater the possibility of achieving success in directionality.  Also, I think my years of being a classically-trained musician has probably fine-tuned my hearing more than someone else might.

All this is to say, I would think with any hearing device directionality is a possibility.  I went in to surgery not expecting to have any directionality with the Ponto and have been pleasantly surprised.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Phillies

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 02:17:31 pm »
I get my Phonax Cros tomorrow morning. I hope it works :)

aksc1

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:49:21 pm »
How do you like your aids? I've worn mine for two months now and find them very helpful!

Phillies

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:31:19 pm »
Had them for two weeks now and they work great! I was at a loud bar over the weekendand made my friend sit on my bad side. We had a nice conversation and I heard every word he said! And the best part is many people don't even notice I wear them. I suspect many people don't have as good results as me but I'm loving it. I might be wrong but I figure if more people had great results like me, there would be less people with the BAHA...

tweety

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 10:22:27 pm »
I have the Phonax Cros Hearing aid and I feel they help greatly. Sometimes I leave for work without them but  always end up coming home at lunch to get them as I can tell the difference.  No longer do I have a deaf side when wearing them although nothing is like your own ears.  I still have no direction to sound even with the aid in.  They are extremely comfortable and I forget they are in my ears.  People are surprised when I tell them I have hearing aids.  I have had mine for 5 month.  Tweety

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 06:47:57 pm »
I wear a Phonak Cros aid due to SSD in the left ear and a Phonak aid in the better ear which also has a hearing loss.  These units are programed in accordance with my hearing tests and work together.  I find them very effective.  When I first lost my hearing about 7 years ago, I was fitted with a Phonak Bi-Cros.  Back then, only wired units were available which required a wire to run behind your head from aid to aid. Many problems with these.  I have tried just having an aid in the good ear and did that for a few years and then went with the BAHA.  BAHA wasn't for me so after 2 years with it, I had the abutment removed and have gone to the new Phonak Cros and it is fantastic.

I still cannot get direction of sound like I would like but I don't think there is any help for that available at this time.

Everyone is different.  This worked for me but may not for everyone.

Paul

PAUL,
Do you know when about they updated the CROS?  I was looking into it a couple years ago & didn't hear or read much positive, NOW there seems to be more positive stuff out there...????     I am once again thinking about a device.  Do you recall how much the FULL price for the newer Phonak Cros was.....ANYONE??

Thanks
Denise S (MI)
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

leeclinton

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:13 am »
Denise,
I believe Phonak came out with the new platform for CROS in early 2011 sometime.
Lee
3.3 cm AN removal Jan. 2012