Author Topic: 2 year (GK) follow-up  (Read 2710 times)

JimC

2 year (GK) follow-up
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:17:03 am »
Hi All,

I don't post often, well actually I hardly post at all, but I have learned much by reading this forum and wanted to give back by sharing the results of my latest MRI for those who are weighing different treatment options and for those who have recently undergone GK treatment and would like a little encouragement.

It's been almost two years since I had GK at the Cleveland Clinic (New Years Eve – 2009) and I just had my 2 year follow-up on October 29th. I had a larger AN (3.3 cm) and was just under the threshold that they were using at the time, which was 3.5 cm, to be eligible for GK. I never received the actual measurements from my first annual follow-up, I just got a phone call later that afternoon informing me that everything was stable and it had actually shrunk a bit. Looking at this years report, I see that it had gone from 3.3 cm to 3.1 cm during that first year. Even better news this time around, it has reduced in size even further. Here is some of the text taken from the Radiologists report:

Heterogeneous enhancing extra-axial mass lesion centered within left cerebellopontine angle cistern is marginally decreased in size since prior examination measuring 2.7 transverse by 2.0 AP centimeters as opposed to 3.1 transverse by 2.3 AP centimeters. So, it appears that the AN has reduced in size by ~6mm.

And this little blurb on the report from my doc really made my day: Your tumor is responding well to treatment, and has shown good shrinkage over the past year. Please see me back with another MRI scan, and call my office if you have any further questions.

I was already SSD prior to treatment, which is what led to the diagnoses in the first place. My balance is a little worse now than it was before, but it's really not that big of an issue. I had a few dizzy spells about 6 months out that lasted for a few months, but those have gone away for the most part. Occasionally they'll come back, but it doesn’t seem to last long. I'm not convinced that the dizzy spells aren't related more to low blood pressure than anything else.

Anyway, I wanted to pass on the good news to all of the other “radio-heads”... Take care.
45 year old male. 3.3 cm left side AN. Gamma Knife at Cleveland Clinic on 12/31/09 - Happy New Year!

frenchjoey

Re: 2 year (GK) follow-up
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:49:24 pm »
Hi!
Many thanks for your post. It really made may day too! I had GK last Monday and this kind of message is really what I need. I know we all respond differently to GK treatments but your wonderful news is the best encouragement you could give to all of us on this forum.

I'm really happy for you! I hope you're celebrating with a nice glass of French champagne  ;)

Cheers
Joey

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:08:22 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing. It's great to hear you are doing good. I have my 2 year MRI F/U after GK next June 2012. Starting to get nervous although it's over 6 months away. Please continue to share. Take care.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:42:41 pm »
6 mm is HUGE in our corner of the world, especially when it's 6 mm in the cerebellopontine angle . . .

Congratulations!  Wow, that was a big AN!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:36:06 am »
Congrats!!  Always great news to hear positive results.  Great news just in time for your holidays...you couldn't ask for more.  Again, congrats!
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!