Author Topic: My 4th year post-op story  (Read 4868 times)

Clifton

My 4th year post-op story
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:41:56 am »
Hello everyone,

I am writing this evening in hopes of being able to offer hope to some people who feel like they are at a low point right now. I know when I found out the news, I sure felt like my life was falling apart.

Just to give you a glimpse of who I was when I got the news, I was 21 years old and I was selling cars at a local dealership and doing pretty average. I was living with my parents in there house and was in a pretty crumby relationship. Using some of the money I made from the dealership I invested in some amateur recording gear in hopes of making a small home studio out of my bedroom. I enjoyed making music but I enjoyed recording music for my friends more than i enjoyed playing it and making it.  I wasn't quite sure what i wanted to do with my life but I did enjoy aspects of my job as a salesman but the hours were tough, and upper management was lacking strong leadership so pretty much all of us were not happy working there. I did know one thing though, I wanted to become wealthy and successful, I mean, Who doesn't right?

Around June of 2007, my beloved San Antonio Spurs won the NBA Championship and a gentleman named Mitch got hired on at the dealership. He was about my fathers age and on his first day he told me that he wanted to start working again to "sharpen his sword" and to generate some extra income to go towards his daughters education at Baylor.

Mitch and I quickly became close friends, as the dealership is very self centered, Mitch and I gained common ground through our mutual love for helping others. He took to me because I was one of the few people that was willing to help him out on his first day, and I took to him because he always seemed to have the right advice for me regarding any situation I was going through. I soon discovered that Mitch was actually a lot more interesting than I had ever imagined...He had started his own businesses and sold them and started other companies and built them into a nice amount of revolving income for himself. Mitch was a true leader and I wanted to learn everything I could in hopes of bettering myself as a person.

Then it happened....

August of 2007 I was diagnosed with an AN after I went to the clinic complaining of a sharp piercing ringing in my right ear. They referred me to an ENT who recognized the symptoms but wasn't too quick to jump to that diagnosis, but had me go get an MRI the next day, sure enough we found the tumor. It was smaller than average but it was also growing onto my brain stem. Not sure if that is common or not but they removed my entire nerve (the procedure was behind my ear) and left me completely deaf from the right side and without the ability to use the right side of my face.

Dr. Bogaev, my neurologist said that he tested my facial nerve after the procedure and that it responded correctly, indicating that I should re-gain most of my facial movement.

I spent 7 days in the Neuro ICU before they transferred me to a normal room for a day or so, then allowed me to go home.
The doctor said typically, the recovery time for someone my age is 3-6 months. I was instructed not to attempt to drive for at least 2 months.

I don't typically follow the rules with anything and I was driving about 3.5 weeks after my surgery. I went back to work about 7 weeks after my operation. I was so bored and i was eager to get back to where I left off learning from Mitch.
During my off time, I got to reflect on my life quite a bit and I had the chance to make some decisions. I could let the fact that I couldn't hear anymore (and at the time even move half of my face) stop me from following my aspirations of wealth and success or I could continue where I left off and make the best of my situation.

Sure enough I went back to work and Mitch and I quickly picked up where I left off. He took me under his wing and had me study different personal growth books including those by Napoleon Hill and John Maxwell, and he mentored me in a way that no one was ever willing to.

By Summer of 2008 I was the most popular sales person at the dealershisp and was making the most money of any of the sales people, including those that had been there for many more years than myself. I was driving a new car, I purchased my first home at the age of 22 and I found the courage to step out of my crumby relationship. I owed it all to Mitch and even though I was deaf on one side, I decided to continue with my hobby of recording music.

My facial function had returned about 98% of the way, and I learned to zone out the never ending ringing I have in my deaf ear. I found comfort in sleeping on my good ear and shutting out all the sound of the world from my pillow. It's actually quite relaxing.

Then the recession hit...
Suddenly, neither myself or anyone else at the dealership was making the money we were used to making and I had a choice to make. Stick it out for an undetermined amount of time and hope that things get better OR get involved with something else.

Mitch had an opportunity present itself to him and decided to part ways with the dealership but our relationship never ended. In fact we got even closer. Inspired by Mitch, I decided to follow a dream...

I walked into work in November of 2008 and told my boss that it was my last day. I was going to start my own recording studio from my house and record music for a living. Many people said "but why? you're deaf, theres no way you're going to be able to hear anything properly!", and you know what, with that attitude, they are correct, BUT that wasn't MY attitude. My outlook due to my personal growth was that I could do anything I wanted the same way anyone else with normal stereo hearing could do, my attitude pushed me to believe my way to success.

In October of 2009, my home recording studio won an award in our local newspaper for "best recording studio in san antonio", beating several commercial studios and many other studios that had larger tenure than myself and better equipment.

i slowly upgraded my equipment and built my home studio up into a nice business. It wasn't easy and I had to make a lot of sacrifices but when I woke up in the morning I knew that nothing was going to stand in the way of my success and what I wanted.

I met my soul mate and we got married in May of 2010, she is absolutely perfect.

In May of this year I leased our first commercial studio location and now I have 2-3 interns and a few employees that work in my studio. I've been told that my work is amazing and is better than anyone else in our state, and I only hear from my left ear.

Last month an opportunity was presented to me by my buddy Mitch, an opportunity to co-found a new company and we are expecting it to be huge. I do believe that this new opportunity will put me one step closer to my goal of wealth and success, and you know what I have learned along the way?

If you believe without a shadow of a doubt that you will accomplish what you set your mind to, then there will be no one in the world that can stop you.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my story. My hope is that I can offer someone light in there moment of darkness, and offer some form of clarity that life will get better and that it will become as great as you allow it to be. Everyone gets dealt a different hand, but everyone has the same opportunity.

If anyone wants to personally reach me, please PM/email me here.

I would love to talk with anyone who is struggling with fears and doubts about there AN. I am here to help.

God Bless,
Clifton

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:58:28 am by ppearl214 »
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: My 4th year post-op story
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:58:45 am »
(Clifton, one heck of a journey....thank you for sharing this.  Many here, myself included as well as you, have had one heck of a journey in the past number of years and your's is amazing!  FYI, I had to remove your personal email address -- forum netiquettes -- but folks can PM/email you here on the site.  Continued wellness and wishes to you! Phyl)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Desilu

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:03:36 am »
Hi Clifton,

So glad you shared your story with us! It is very uplifting and I am very happy for you. One thing I try to tell everyone is to "stay positive" no matter what happens, and you have done just that. You didn't sit around and have a "pity party" for yourself because you were deaf in one ear. You continued to stay positive and determined to reach your goals. That is awesome. I hope your story inspires many here on the ANA website. Thanks again, Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

ksiwek

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:09:46 am »
Thank you for sharing your story!  Your mental 'toughness' and commitment to your dreams is inspiring.  Being young with this diagnosis presents a unique set of challenges and I am so happy to read about your ability to overcome the SSD barrier.  My recovery was a lot slower due to the size of my tumor, severe symptoms and concurrent c-section to heal from, but I am getting stronger physically and mentally than I thought possible from this time last year.  I remember thinking, 'how will I ever learn to drive again or walk up the stairs with my son...'  Fast forward to this summer I ran 2 5ks, a 10k and a half marathon...and can chase my son around with the best of them  ;D  I could go on...

Again, thank you for posting this message....nice to see such a positive message.

Good luck with your business!

Best,
Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:49:47 pm »
Clifton ~

Please accept my appreciation for your story.  You've probably inspired a few folks with it.  I know 'positive thinking' is often poo-pooed by some as merely a way to kid ourselves but I've always believed that as long as we are willing to work and sacrifice for a real, defined goal, good things can happen, as they have for you.  I'm far older than you but have had experiences similar to yours along the way so I know what I'm talking about. 

By the way: Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys fame, a prolific songwriter, singer and producer with many Grammys - an icon in pop music - has been SSD most of his life (not AN-related) so hearing in mono didn't slow his music career down at all.  At age 69, he still tours.

I wish you continued personal growth and success in whatever you choose to pursue.  Thanks again for your post.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:24:21 pm »
Clifton, thanks for you posting of such personal success in your post-surgery life. I wish you many more years of success and hope that when you are in a position to be mentor to someone else you are able to return the favor.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Clifton

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 08:36:45 pm »
Thank you all for your gracious and kind words. They mean so much to me. I hope there are plenty of "newbies" that will see this and be able to draw hope from my story as well.
2cm AN right side.
Trans-Lab DONE as of sept 14th 2007!
some facial weakness initially, right ear completely deaf.

Dr. Perry      Neuro-otologist
Dr. Bogaev   Neurologist
San Antonio, Texas
25 years of age - 4 years post op

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 06:55:51 am »
Clifton .....

Thanks for sharing your story with us.  Just shows what a difference one's attitude can make.  Your road was certainly not easy but oh, so rewarding when you persevered!  Congratulations!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:56:55 pm »
Clifton, thank you for your encouraging story!! I've been a postie going on two years here soon, but I think at any point in one's life it's always nice and refreshing to hear positive stories like yours!  I have seen a fair share of desperate situation stories on this forum, and I can only hope that your story will in some way touch those who need it the most.  For myself, I feel very blessed, even though some of the crap I had to go through wasn't the greatest. I have always been an optimist, and I believe that's helped me tremendously in my recoveries.  Again, thanks for this!
Jay

PS: Jim, I didn't know Brian Wilson was SSD...very interesting!
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 04:17:23 am »
This is a VERY nice story, glad I took the time to read it!!!!   Wishing you the BEST of luck on your newest and all future journeys!!!   :)

Denise (MI)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:20:05 am by Denise S »
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 08:35:09 am »
Great story.........love music and was disappointed when I became SSD but that's life.  I am so glad you didn't turn your back on your dream best of luck in your pursuit of happiness.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

circuitbent

• Ma-ma-ma-my schwannoma!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 01:44:08 pm »
Clifton,

Congratulations on your success.  I respect your attitude on life.  You are in control!

You're story definitely struck a chord with me.  I'm 29 years old, and I had my own recording studio for a while, as well as worked in other recording studios.  Before surgery I was told by some Doctors that I would probably lose my hearing on one side.  Now I'm about 2 weeks post op, and they were able to preserve my hearing.  I'm adjusting to some other minor setbacks, but I'm eager to pick up where I left off, like you said.  Thanks for sharing the story.

Best,

Chris
10/7/2011 diagnosed 2.6cm schwannoma, right side
10/26/2011 Retrosigmoid removal performed: actual size +3cm jugular schwannoma

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 05:45:56 pm »
Clifton -

this is a truly amazing post.  Thank you so much for sharing.

Glad life has been good to you and I sincerely hope it continues.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways