Author Topic: WOW! The LOOP- Awesome news about the latest hearing technology  (Read 5058 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

WOW! The LOOP- Awesome news about the latest hearing technology
« on: October 24, 2011, 10:48:37 pm »
This was in the New York Times today

A Hearing Aid That Cuts Out All the Clatter
quoting a key part of the article
"People in the United States have been slower to adopt the technology because telecoils were traditionally sold as an optional accessory, at an extra cost of about $50, instead of being included automatically with a hearing aid. But today telecoils are built into two-thirds of the hearing aids on the market as well as in all cochlear implants, so there is a growing number of people able to benefit from loops."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/science/24loops.html?_r=2&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha23

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
hearing is clearer in public places due to a simple innovation
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 11:01:37 pm »
Hello ANAers,

take a look at the interesting article I read today in NY times (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/science/24loops.html?_r=1&smid=fb-nytimes&WT.mc_id=SC-SM-E-FB-SM-LIN-AHA-102411-NYT-NA&WT.mc_ev=click). It is about how society helps people with hearing problems by simply installing a thin copper sheet on floors in different public buildings, creating the so called hearing loop.

I know there are people from Europe in this forum so probably they can give some feedback. have you experienced places with copper sheets in Northern Europe? (Acc to the article the method was wide spread in N Europe). Midwest in the US is the leader of installation of the simple sheets. Probably some of you in West MI have experienced it too?

What is not clear to me though is whether only people with impaired hearing wearing hearing aids can use it. In the article it is mentioned that people with Cochlear implants can benefit from the innovation but I don't know whether Cochlear implants are for people with SSD only or whether there are implants for improving impaired hearing too? Can someone with a Cochlear implant chime in here?

Anyway, I am glad that society thinks about people with hearing problems and tries to improve the environment.

hrissy

4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
Re: WOW! The LOOP- Awesome news about the latest hearing technology
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 11:04:30 pm »
I found this article quite impressive too and just posted it on the forum but I was only 8 min late than you - hahaah.
apparently, it is something innovative that struck us both at the same time :D

Thank you for sharing it :)

hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:56:24 pm »
Just got a link to this article from my brother.  Was going to post it, but see that someone beat me to it.

Very cool technology!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:23:40 am »
It truly is interesting technology.  Unfortunately, for most of us with SSD caused by an acoustic neuroma, my interpretation is that it won't help us.  My cochlear is working fine...it's the hearing nerve attached to it that is on the fritz.

That said, it is wonderful to see that society is taking hearing issues seriously and making investments in infrastructure to help those in need.
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009

spgreenfield

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:51:16 am »
So Ross -

You brought up a point I have a question about - if they really DO CUT your hearing nerve - can't it be attached again?  Or is it THAT delicate?  Those that have surgery where the nerve is actually cut - is there any hope for anything other than mechanisms that redirect the hearing into the good ear?

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

Ross

• Ross
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:17:30 pm »
If only...man that would be great.  When I first was diagnosed with an AN, the doctor showed me on a head model where it was in the hearing canal.  I couldn't believe just how small that canal is...that's what makes it all so complicated plus the fact that you've got a bunch of other nerves sharing the same canal.

Maybe someday they'll be able to repair the nerve damage, but until then, it's gizmos for our ears and heads.
AN, 9 MM
Radiation Treatment, February 2009
Hearing loss in right ear, July 2009