Author Topic: Just scheduled for translab .....  (Read 5300 times)

Heresrose

Just scheduled for translab .....
« on: November 03, 2011, 11:38:20 pm »
So I am scheduled for surgery on 11/28 and I have a few questions for the veterans on this forum. I have always been terrified of invasive surgery and this is as invasive as it gets. So what happens to the external ear after surgery? Does it cave in? Is this a crazy question? I never thought to ask the doc this question.

As for hearing devices, is there anything other than the BAHA and the Pronto? How long does it take for the abuttment site to heal? Can you shower and shampoo without problems? When you snap in the hearing device can you cover it with your hair?

Finally, someone asked me today, if it is a slow growing tumor and you're losing your hearing anyway, why not just wait and see what happens. We undergo this surgery so that the AN does not adversely affect the brain, right?

I appreciate any responses.

Rose
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
3/4/14 MRI shows 3mm AN growth.
AN now is 1.7cm
4/11/14 CK Stanford with Drs. Chang and Gibbs

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Just scheduled for translab .....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:54:31 am »
Hi Rose .....

So glad you have a date for surgery.  Now you can concentrate on doing fun things with your family and friends between now and then ...... it really helps to keep your mind off things.  You also might want to tie up any loose ends of unfinished things that might "bug" you afterwards.  Some of us fixed and froze easy meals to use afterwards, etc.

Re the external ear ...... or any other outward physical parts ..... your external ear will look exactly the same.  I am not a doctor, but I believe it is standard practice with translab surgery to harvest fat from your abdomen to pack into the spaces where the mastoid bone and internal ear workings are removed.  Some patients have noted that their skull did have an indentation in the area ..... I do not, although my skull is somewhat "lumpy" from three craniotomies ..... nothing that my hair does not easily cover.

There are at least a couple of other hearing options besides the bone-anchored hearing devices ..... Transear (http://www.transear.com/) and SoundBite (http://www.sonitusmedical.com/product/technology.cfm) are two that come to mind.

My abutment for the Oticon Medical Ponto Pro was put in at the same time as my translab surgery.  Technically I was supposed to wait three months for the abutment to osseointegrate (integrate into the bone).  At a month mine was virtually healed but I had to wait until it was almost three months to attach the processor for the first time.  Let me note that at no time did I have any pain in either the surgical site or around the abutment.

For all three of my brain surgeries, I had to wait a week before shampooing my hair.  After the translab/abutment surgery, the stitches were removed and the abutment protective pad was removed 8 days post-op and I was given the OK to go ahead and shower and shampoo normally.  As I recall I did use Bacitracin around the abutment for a few days, but then no special treatment except to keep it clean with Baby Wipes.  Much later I began using the soft brush around it a couple times a week.  (They will give you specific instructions on this.)

Oticon makes four colors for the processors (http://www.oticonmedical.com/Medical/OurProducts/Sound%20Processors/Design.aspx) so I chose the White Silver and it completely blends in/covered by my hair.

The reason you do not want to wait is to avoid the tumor growing onto the adjacent facial nerve or wrapping around the brain stem, causing a much more difficult removal procedure without damage.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Heresrose

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:17:30 am »
Thank you, Clarice. And BTW I did say hello to doctor Rick for you.

Rose
3.2 x 2.1 x 1.5 partially removed via Translab on 11/28/11 w/Friedman & Schwartz of HEI, SSD, facial nerve intact but have facial paralysis and synkenisis.
AN now is 1.7cm

Heresrose

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:44:49 am »
My surgery is coming up and I"m wondering what to take with me to the hospital. I know i've read some discussions on this forum but for the life of me I can't find that information now. Any advice is appreciated.

Rose
AN now is 1.7cm

New girl

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 09:20:23 am »
Hi Rose,

I found the most useful things for me where a pair of button down mens PJs (loose & comfortable) and chapstick (lips were dry after surgery).  It was nice to get out of the hospital johnny once I was moved to a regular room.  I also brought wet wipes for my hands and face but did not use them since I was able to easily walk to my bathroom.   I luckily did not have any dizziness so I did not have issues walking but I have read here that many people do have issues.  Hope that helps.  Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 09:43:10 am »
Hi Rose!

New Girl is right on target!  My husband ran out and bought me Chapstick on my first go-around because my lips were so dry.  I did not use my own PJs ..... just too lazy and easier to use the hospital gowns for me.  I did use my robe and slippers though so you will want those for trips up and down the hall.  Even if you are not woozy, you will have an arm bracelet indicating "fall risk" and someone should walk with you when you venture out of your room.  Actually at St. Vincent's, they do not want you to get up and go to the bathroom by yourself (liability risk, I am sure, but also safer).

After my first surgery 3 1/2 years ago at Duke, I had quite pronounced double vision for about a week so the book I took along was useless.  My surgery six months ago at HEI, I kept my iPhone in my bed with me and played games in the middle of the night when I had sleeping difficulties from the steroids.  Just because I like my own toothbrush and paste, I took those, as well.

Many, many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice

Heresrose

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:13:32 am »
Ladies, thanks for the quick reply and the well wishes!
AN now is 1.7cm

Cheryl R

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 11:39:34 am »
Hi Rose,   You won't need a lot at the hospital.    I did wear pajamas as soon as I could.  You will also have ted socks on,  The compression type stockings.  I had to wear the tight bandage on the head for a few days so needed easy on pjs with buttons or large neck.          You won't need make up and I took a face wipe to wash my face and a tube of face cream.      The lip balm is needed.     The robe and also easy on clothes to wear home.   If you wear glasses then you might want to take an old pair with the bow off of the AN side.              I watched tv only for entertainment when not sleeping or taking walks.       You may or may not as some have said have some eye issues.               The time ahead of surgery is hard when one does not know how it is all going to be.    After you do know how it went and have other issues,most of which are temporary.                      I wish you well.               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

hendi51

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 08:43:14 am »
Rose, good luck on your surgery tomorrow. My husband had surgery March 18th of this year. His ear looks perfectly normal though he does have an indentation behind his ear where the surgery was actually done. Even with his short hair you can't see the scar. He no longer has any of the symptoms he had before surgery, dizziness, vertigo, everything jumping up and down. He gets his followup MRI December 7th. He wears a normal hearing aid in the opposite ear which helps but if you are behind him he still can't hear. Take your chapstick cause you will need it.
My husband had translab 3/15/2011 for 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm left side AN at
Methodist University Hospital in
Memphis, Tn

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »
Rose, how did the surgery go?
Please post here when you have a chance.
I know you are not allowed to use your computer post op, at least both in Bulgaria and Germany where my surgeries took place, I was not. But please share whenever you have access

I hope you will have a fast and smooth recovery!
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

Heresrose

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 12:46:10 am »
I had my translab on 11/28 and has it been tough. They had to Leave a third of the tumor to preserve the facial nerve my face is paralyzed on the AN side, I have headaches and dizziness.

AN now is 1.7cm

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:28:42 am »
Rose .....

The fact that you are posting two days post-op is certainly a major accomplishment!!  Sorry you have the facial issue.  I am really hoping this is a temporary thing if they saved the facial nerve.  Bummer to have to leave some of the tumor, but again, I really hope it just stays there and does not grow, or can be irradiated.

Headaches and dizziness two days post-op are somewhat normal for most of us.  Hopefully those two problems will vanish quickly.

Clarice

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:22:26 pm »
everything is alright since you are posting two days post op. Don't worry about the headaches - everyone experienced them after such a major surgery. I am sorry to hear they left part of it in. I hope it is for the better though and you will regain facial movements quicker. I experienced complete facial paralyses for 6 months post op but with a lot of training most of the movements were regained. Just follow carefully what doctors recommend and give it a time! Time heals!

Best of luck
Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co