Author Topic: Problems with the BAHA  (Read 3009 times)

Sommerl

Problems with the BAHA
« on: October 02, 2011, 05:40:44 pm »
Hi, My name is Sommer and I am new to the forum. I got a BAHA in 2005. I have been getting some itching and the burning and the red spots on my head. The doctor thought it was some skin irritation and I think it was from the BAHA. He thought it was the hair follicles around the BAHA that needed to be plucked out and I have to get that done every year. I don't think it was the hair follicles. When I wear the BAHA for a few hours, my head started to get warm and my atunement was really warm and really irritated. When I lay down on my BAHA side, it was started to feel really discomfortable and irritating. My BAHA felt really warm, too. Has this happened to you before? My dermatologist thought it was dandruff and he gave me medication and it got worse. I don't think it has nothing to do with dandruff. My head has been bothering today and I didn't wear the BAHA today. I'm thinking about calling the doctor tomorrow. It could be infected, but I felt that the doctor doesn't believe me. Anybody has any problems like this?

Sincerely,

Sommer

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Problems with the BAHA
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 06:40:09 pm »
Hi Sommer .....

I've only had my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro processor on for a couple of months, but I have not experienced what you are describing.

There is a slight vibration from the device, but no warmth to it.  I have never had to deal with any hair follicles around the abutment.  I have had an occasional light scabbing when I have failed to keep the area brushed properly, but easily remedied with brushing and baby wipes.  Never enough to feel irritated or uncomfortable.

I would certainly call my doctor if I were you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Problems with the BAHA
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:12:49 pm »
Hi, Sommer.  Welcome to the Forum.

I've had my BAHA since March 2008 and currently wear a Cochlear BP100 (upgraded from a Divino).

I have not experienced the problems you mention in your post, but recommend that you see your doctor.

Often itching and a feeling of warmness can be related to an infection.

The Forum is a great resource for us BAHA wearers, but another great resource is the Cochlear Community (www.cochlearcommunity.com).  You'll find people there who have BAHAs as well as CIs (Cochlear Implants).  The Community is free - you just have to register.  You may want to post your question there in case someone who frequents the Community has experience with the issue you are asking about.

Good luck - and please keep us posted,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways