Author Topic: 7 Weeks Post-Op Back to Work  (Read 3051 times)

schmidtkat

7 Weeks Post-Op Back to Work
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:14:18 am »
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share my good news. Friday, Oct. 21st,  marked my 7th week post-op. My local ENT allowed me to start back to work part time as tolerated. My first day back was on the 20th. I spent that day and the next just going through hundreds of emails on my computer. As a director/student advisor for two sites off campus for a private university, I am able to do quite a bit from my computer but I do long for the interaction with students, staff and faculty. Realistically I have accepted the fact I'm not up to the full-time rigor.

My local ENT has cautioned me to keep in mind the removal of my 3.2cm tumor involved major brain surgery and I need to ease back into things. The successful surgery, support from so many and the ability to have a restful few weeks have just been a blessing. While I do have a few lingering health issues, in the scheme of all of this, it's just been a miracle. I am trying to approach this with a combination of prayer, patience and a good deal of humor. In doing so, Cheryl has encouraged me to share a few proverbial spoofs I posted on my CaringBridge. Perhaps some of you pos-op ANers can relate to these:

•   â€œDon’t judge a book by its cover” … but maybe by the font size until nystagmus, involuntary jerky eye movements, clear-up.
•   â€œLove makes the world go round.” … So does nystagmus, tinnitus and other malfunctions of the optical and auditory systems.
•    “Don’t look where you fall, but where you slipped.” Relevant advice from an African proverb.
•   â€œOut of sight, out of mind” … may challenge my ear to find. (Just watch me try to find a ringing phone left out of site. I resemble a dog chasing its tail.)
•    “Keep your mouth shut and your ears open”…or in my case I better keep my eyes open too.
•   â€œSpeak when you are spoken to.” … I will try, but I’ll first have to make sure the phone is at my good ear.
•    “Think before you speak”…or walk…; multi-tasking is for the well balanced.
•   â€œTurn the other cheek.” … Yep, I have to do this one to hear … or to tune someone out.
•   â€œTwo heads are better than one.” … Makes for better odds of having at least a pair of working ears available.
•    “Things are not always as they seem.” …Just ask someone lacking a hearing nerve to walk in the dark. By all appearances s/he would not pass a sobriety test.
•   â€œEasier said than done.” …Oh yea, how many times have I said this lately?!
•    “Where there’s a will there’s a way.” … I found this out when trying to get out of a slippery hotel tub by myself shortly into my recovery.
•   â€œDo as I say and not as I do.” … Yep, if everyone had the uncanny coordination I have developed we would be in a world of hurt.
•   â€œMake hay while the sun shines.” …. While we have enjoyed much sunshine this fall season, breaking open a bale of hay for my horse in broad daylight and keeping myself vertical is challenging enough. After dark I’m not worth a darn at much of anything.
•   â€œBetter late than never.” … I sure hope so because things are taking me a lot longer than they used to.
•   â€œLife is just a bowl of cherries”… I prefer Reeses Pieces.
•   â€œAn apple a day…” I’m doing my best. Dipping them in caramel sure helps.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 7 Weeks Post-Op Back to Work
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:44:17 am »
Kathy ~

Congratulations on your return to work and thanks for sharing your experience (and the aphorisms).  May your healing continue apace.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

rvb755

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 02:38:45 pm »
Kathy, that's great news!  So glad to hear you are getting back to your routine.  I pray you will be able to get back to the full interaction you crave very soon.  Listen to your doctors and be well.

Rick
3.2cm x 5.0cm x 3.3cm Left side AN
Translab with Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI
on 8/24/2011
100% tumor removal, no facial nerve damage, SSD

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »
Hey Kathy!
Great list - thanks for sharing!  As someone who has been at this recovery thing for a long time, I can say that it does get better. It's like you wake up one day and realize that you haven't had to put as much time, energy & thought into doing all those simple, little things that became such a challenge. Continue to listen to your body as you heal...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Grateful_1

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »
Your list made me laugh.  I can certainly relate!  :D
St. Louis University Hosp., St. Louis, MO
Drs. A. Mikulec and D. Sasaki-Adams
12/28/10 - Translab surg for 2.5cm AN on right
1/13/11- lumbar drain, pulmonary embolism
3/11/11 - menengitis
4/12/11 & 5/26/11 - CSF leak repairs
SSD, facial paralysis, balance issues, fatigue

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 07:23:19 pm »
Kathy .....

So glad you have done so well.  Sure had some laughs over your proverbial spoofs!

Prayers for continued good recovery.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 04:07:11 pm »
What a wonderful list!   I will save this one on my desktop.  So happy that you are doing so well, but just be careful not to spend too much time on the computer.   My doctor says and correct me if I'm wrong OSHA says 10 minutes at a time.    Back in 1988, I was working as a writer/editor in a large computing facility at NIH and after the first three weeks on the job, I ruptured a disk in my neck and couldn't lift my hand.   Had to get surgery and that surgery resulted in a paralysis of the vocal cords, so please be careful and go inch by inch.
Congrats!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

sterry

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 06:49:23 pm »
Great news that you are back to work Kathy, I did half days when I returned. I love the list! So many still hold true for me even on my 2 years anniversary today. Like the phone ringing, walking in the dark! Best of everything to you on your back to work journey.
Susie
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well