Author Topic: [Sigh] ... I hate my BP100, etc.  (Read 8230 times)

ombrerose4

Re: [Sigh] ... I hate my BP100, etc.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 07:33:55 pm »
FYI
I emailed Judy Vitucci, ANA Director and asked her if she would contact Cochlear on behalf of all of us Baha wearers with frequent problems that are not being addressed by Cochlear. She will contact them and will let us know if she gets any feedback for us.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

wayneski

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2011, 07:11:53 pm »
I'm SSD.
Since March, I've had 5 BP100s. Three had the round seal behind the snap come loose which causes me to have constant feedback. The other 2 had cracked cases. I live 90 miles (and a ferry ride) from my hospital/clinic. Every time Cochlear repaired it they would send it back to the clinic and I made another all day trip (and about $60 for gas & ferry).

I could never hear very well with it either. I became convinced that my audiologist didn't know what she was doing so I called Cochlear in Colorado and demanded that their regional rep be present at my 6th program session.
The rep took my BP100 and connected it to his head and said it was maxed out on volume and that was causing the feedback and I needed the more powerful BP110. This was in July. He loaned me an Intenso to wear until the more powerful BP110 was released in mid August.
So, I have now had 2 BP110s develop loose seals. After the 1st BP110 failed, the national rep, 2 regional reps myself and my audiologist met at the hospital. The national rep said they had a software upgrade and he schooled everybody on how to program properly while he was programming my 2nd BP110. I'm hearing better but still far below my expectations and 8 days later I was hearing more feedback. I examined the seal and sure enough 2 small bubbles had breached the outer rim.
The national rep said that Sweden was experimenting with other, stronger adhesives and to not worry about my warranty as he has the power and will extend it until this situation is resolved. He admits that a "small" percentage of the BAHAs have had seal and cracked case problems. I think it is a far bigger problem than anyone will admit. I've had 5 BP100s and 2 BP110s since March of this year and couldn't hear good with any of them.
I'm so fed up with the BaHa that I'm considering another implant so I can buy a Ponto Power. BaHa & Ponto used to be interchangeable until early 2010. Cochlear modified their implant to make it totally incompatible with the Ponto.
I strongly urge anyone considering a Baha to look into the Ponto unit before making a final decision. I wish I'd known about the Ponto before my surgery. Now I'm stuck with BaHa.

I might complain to the FDA. I'm also considering legal action to get Cochlear to refund the entire cost of the unit and the surgery so that I can afford the Ponto Power. I've heard nothing but good about them.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Wayne.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:15:57 pm by wayneski »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2011, 11:52:15 am »
I feel for you guys.  My BP100 continues to be great.  Don't know what I'd do without it.

Hope you all get your issues resolved.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Director

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 08:09:51 am »
Earlier this week I spoke with Cochlear’s representative.  The good news is that they do read the forum – so issues posted are getting their attention.

To address the cracked processors, she indicated that Cochlear has changed the design April 1 – replacing it with a new shell that is a more robust shell design to prevent the cracking.  Free repairs are available to anyone have the cracking issue since they are still in warranty.  There are two paths someone can follow to get the processor replaced—

--go back to the clinic where it was purchased
Or
--call Cochlear and do a direct to recipient repair by calling 800-483-3123.

Cochlear is also committed to providing professional training for all of our products and will look into the issues addressed regarding proper training.

Please feel free to contact me directly, if you have additional comments, questions.

Judy Vitucci