Author Topic: Memory Test  (Read 2703 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Memory Test
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:47:44 am »
Yesterday I had an appointment to test my memory that the Disability people set me up with. I have applied for disability, which I won't get, but thought I'd give it a try.  So I had that test yesterday. Anybody else have to take that?  I was embarrased because I don't think I did all that well, and I was trying not to look like an idiot, but ......  She did say that I had some memory lapses. Well, duh. The more flustered I became, the worse it got...But, gee, they don't let you write anything down!!  How ya suppose to remember stuff if ya can't write it down!!! ;D  I told my husband that if by some weird chance I get disability, I can NEVER tell anyone on this forum, because so many of you have been denied and you are worse off than me!  So, I don't expect to qualify, but I didn't know that when I started this deal.  Now, I'm just seeing it through to the end.  Besides I'd never had a memory test before and I thought it might be interesting.  It was, and it is apparent I need to do some exercises to strengthen my memory muscles. Yikes.
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Raydean

Re: Memory Test
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 04:42:09 pm »
Hi Sue

Sure you can tell group here.  We 're here for you however your claim turns out.  If you're accepted that's even better.  Plus you'll have valuable information on the process that will be a benefit to others that may be considering filing for SSD.
So keep us posted and good luck!!!!!

Hugs
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

lmurray69

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 06:18:37 pm »
It took me 2 yrs to get approved the trick is get a lawyer right away and dont waite..I also have other problems becides the AN.. I have small strokes. That leave me memory disorientaded,,i think. the test they gave me was to remember 3 things , then later he asked me if i remembered, I said what did you forget what you asked me . You really shoud write it down ,I cant even remember what day it is . so dont asked me to remember the things you want me too.. all kiden aside work those word search books and crosswords, which ever you want, they do help .but I have short term memory lossess. My husband keep really good tract of me...
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 06:25:02 pm »
If I get it, the only valuable lesson to learn, is to be a complete idiot!!   ;D ;D

The problem with this memory test for me, is that she read stuff to me and that is auditory learning....not reading learning. If I'd READ the story and told it back to her, I would have done better.  Some tests were visual, but mostly it was auditory.  So have somebody read you a short detailed story and then you tell it back and try to remember all the details. Actually she reads two stories and then goes back to the first story and then the second story. Then 45 minutes later, we go back to those stories and try to remember them again.  I was nervous, I'm sure I'd have done better at home.  Oh well....if I'm trying to get disability, I guess the point would be to screw it up, wouldn't it?? ;)

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 08:18:42 pm »
I had that test too...said I was average to below average but the doctor said I was higher than average.  Guess he didn't do so well either  LOL

Sue you will more than likely get it based on your age and your occupation/education.  Please don't feel bad if you get it!  I'm hoping to eventually but know it will take a little longer than I wanted.  I was tested last week for voc rehab and am still awaiting my results.  The tester told me the best I could do right now is part time about 4 hours a day every other day.  That won't pay the bills :o(  Like you if they'd of let me write down stuff I'd have done ok  LOL 

Pembo

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 07:54:00 am »
That memory test sounds awful. I couldn't pay attention that well before surgery, I can't imagine trying it now!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

matti

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 01:42:48 pm »
That sounds like a scary test and I know I would get nervous which would make it worse. I have always been a visual learner, so there would be another problem. YIKES!

I live my life as "queen of the post it notes". I carry them with me at all times and have to jot things down as they come to mind, or else I'll forget it immediately.

Even with SSD, balance and facial problems, I think the memory issues since my AN surgery have been the hardest to deal with. I also hate the fact that I can't find the right words to say to finish a sentence. My husband senses my struggle and always jumps in to help me, as do my friends. I get anxious when I am in social situations and I think that adds to the problem. Somedays I feel  so dumb >:(       ok venting over

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Static

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 07:31:34 pm »
Memory test?? omg, I was just looking at digital cameras and couldn't remember what I read from one screen to the next!  Maybe I should go take that test tomorrow LOL!  In reality tho, gonna look into voc rehab when I go to this stupid unemployment workshop I have to go to and take it from there!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right