Author Topic: Life Insurance after surgery  (Read 13206 times)

beethoven

Life Insurance after surgery
« on: September 29, 2011, 05:37:15 am »
I had surgery to remove my AN in 2009. Now I'm applying for life insurance. I got an exorbitant quote from Transamerica because I had an "intracranial tumor". Can anyone recommend a life insurance company that does not lump in ANs with all "intracranial tumors"?
AN 1.6cm; removed Aug 2009 by Dr Kalmon Post; SSD (left)

dougs

Re: Life Insurance after surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 10:28:12 pm »
I am 47 (46 when I had surger7) and thought it more prudent to invest and enjoy my family than spend money on life insurance.  I am curious if you are able to find any life insurance that is affordable after AN?

Thanks
AN Dia 7-26-11   4cm x 3cm x 3cm
Retrosigmoid removal 8-1-11 Scripps LJMH

beethoven

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 04:25:54 pm »
Here's what I found out. Almost all life insurance companies will put Acoustic Neuromas in the same category as brain cancer. There are only two major ones that don't: William Penn, and another one I've forgotten. I'm currently applying to William Penn and we'll see what happens.
AN 1.6cm; removed Aug 2009 by Dr Kalmon Post; SSD (left)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:57:20 pm »
Generally life insurance companies have issues with anyone who has had brain surgery for a tumor. 

So unfortunately, even though the majority of ANs are benign (99.9%), people who have had AN surgery often run into problems getting life insurance.

Your best bet is to get life insurance through your employer if that's a benefit that is offered.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Ned

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:36:45 am »
I own my insurance agency, been doing this for 30 years, and specialize in life, health and disability coverage.  I have found different companies treat AN's differently.  We have discovered that a detailed letter from the agent explaining the history of the client along with all the doctor records, including a summary letter from the treating doctor goes a long way in getting the best rates.  However, if you have additional medical problems,  they can hinder coverage at reasonable rates. Find a knowledgeable independent agent that will send your records to multiple companies.
Some companies won't cover if treated with radiation, seems the medical directors are old school and believe the only treatment is surgery.  I would be glad to help if you have problems.
2003   1.5cmX1,6cmx1.3cm
FSR Sara Cannon Cancer Center  Nashville
2006  1.1 cmX1.2cmX .9cm

Cindyswart

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:02:18 am »
I am 7 months post op- and my husband decided to change my current life insurance to another company. So of course, the all dreaded question, "Have you had surgery in the past ten years and for what" came. After all the dust settled, they contacted my AN surgeon who forwarded them all my records, and also included a letter. He sent the letter to me first and it contained wording that I thought was alarming- like "tumor" and "brain surgery". I sent the letter back to the doctor and asked that the wording be adjusted to "surgery" and "benign acoustic neuroma". Three days after they received the letter, insurance was granted. I really don't know if the change of wording on the letter made any difference, but something worked! Actually, they fussed at me because my cholesterol was a little high, not because of the tumor!   ???
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

BeckyMax

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:49:51 pm »
Which company was this with?
7mm x 5 mm Left AN, diagnosed 2/9/12
7mm x 6 mm  8/12
9mm x 7 mm  8/13
Cyberknife 12/13

Cindyswart

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:25:43 am »
New Your Life
Diagnosed 4/19/11 An 1.5x1.9x2.0
Surgery 8/23/11, Dr Fukushima.
Total tumor removed. SSD.
Second surgery 11/11/11 for abscess

I'm gona work like I don't need the money
I'm gona laugh like I'm not afraid to cry
I'm gona dance like nobody's watchin'
I'm gona love while I still have the time!

ChipsFL

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 03:09:04 pm »
Yes it's been a long time. How did you make out with that life insurance policy ?
4-2012,  CK, Wellington, Fl
11-2012, Followup MRI- "no Sig. change"
10-2015 Followup MRI- Tumer Shrunk In Size

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 02:26:10 am »
I have been reading various stories in this section about the trails and downright horror stories in the US to do with health insurance and I tell you I thank God I was in Canada when I got sick!
As far as health insurance here's a laugh for you, a few years ago I was appling for life insurance on my mortgage and rec'd a call from the company, the person believed the hysterectomy I had some years after my AN (as I had listed on my medical form) was to remove the AN! lol I almost peed myself and couldn't continue the conversation for a few minutes until I finished laughing....  it was frustrating trying to explain health issue's to someone who has no concept of general anatomy.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 04:00:37 pm »
I have been reading various stories in this section about the trails and downright horror stories in the US to do with health insurance and I tell you I thank God I was in Canada when I got sick!
As far as health insurance here's a laugh for you, a few years ago I was appling for life insurance on my mortgage and rec'd a call from the company, the person believed the hysterectomy I had some years after my AN (as I had listed on my medical form) was to remove the AN! lol I almost peed myself and couldn't continue the conversation for a few minutes until I finished laughing....  it was frustrating trying to explain health issue's to someone who has no concept of general anatomy.

Kathleen ~

I'm not familiar with Canada's health insurance program but I realize that most Canadians are pleased with it and glad that it works for you.

However, even though the current U.S. health care system, basically at the mercy of 'private' insurance companies but with government insurance covering a third of the U.S. population via 'Medicare', 'Medicaid' and similar programs, we are part-way there, now.  Frankly, I don't think that the U.S. 'Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act' is going to be the kind of wonderful, no-hassle type of socialized healthcare system some Americans expect.  Not when bureaucrats will be dictating the rules and Internal Revenue agents doing the policing of who pays for what.  More likely, U.S. medical care will suffer as resources will be stretched over 315 million very diverse people (unlike Canada's 35 million residents) and those who now receive medical care will be denied due to age or a terminal health assessment.  Of course, the PPAC could, against all odds, turn out to a roaring success.  Until that occurs, I remain skeptical of any governmental bureaucracy in charge of my nations health care.

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 10:05:37 am »
Have to agree with Jim.

James

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 09:39:52 pm »
Jim: Here in Ontario  almost EVERYTHING to do with AN surgery is 100% covered, only things that might not be is if you want a private or semi-private room post-op, medications/physio and things like that  needed post hospital (and for many of us this is covered fully/partially by addition health insurance available through our employer). Mind you we have  long waiting lists sometimes for surgeries, surgeries are prioritized and sometimes an elective surgery will be a long wait and may be cancelled and rescheduled if something "comes in the door" that is life threatening etc.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)