Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled .... Yipes!!  (Read 5660 times)

Pattilouwho

Surgery Scheduled .... Yipes!!
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:39:02 pm »
January 31st, 2012. MGH / Dr. Mckenna / Dr. Barker - Whew

Once you scedule the surgery, it certainly makes it that much more REAL !!  If I'm this nervous now, I can't even imagine how nervous I'll be come January. Feeling pretty good lately, occassional headache...my neck sometimes feels like it "pulls" or "tugs"....sometimes it feels HEAVY!! I think my AN is 3cm x 11/2cm...Anyways, that's it - wish me luck.....like you, I'm sure I'm going to need it !!

I'll be reading and reading and reading all the new post surgeries between now and then.

Thanks Peeps !!
Surgery scheduled for 2/10/2012 - McKenna/Barker @ Mass General
 2 cm left side / 90% of hearing gone / balance isn't too bad, worse in the morning!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery Scheduled .... Yipes!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:11:38 pm »
Hi, Patti ~

Please accept my (hesitant) congratulations on attaining a surgery date.  I use the adjective 'hesitant' only because you seem to be a bit intimidated by knowing that having the date makes it, as you put it: "REAL!'  Most of us understand exactly what you mean by that.  Just know that you're doing what is best for you and that, like most AN patients, you'll be O.K. and that your friends on the ANA forums will here to send you good thoughts, say prayers for you and do whatever we can to support you.   Good luck!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

New girl

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 03:57:44 pm »
Best wishes with your surgery Patty.  You are in great hands!  I am up sugery with Lee and Barker in about a week.   Take care.   ;D
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:50:00 pm »
You'll do great, Patti  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pattilouwho

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:25:28 pm »
Thanks ANA Forum Peeps  :)

Best of luck to you "New Girl " !!!  Hope all goes well and we hear back from you soon !! You'll be on our minds and in our prayers !
Surgery scheduled for 2/10/2012 - McKenna/Barker @ Mass General
 2 cm left side / 90% of hearing gone / balance isn't too bad, worse in the morning!!

HJY

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:48:09 pm »
Hi Patti!

I felt nervous right up to the day (I had also just had a baby so I was dealing with a newborn too!), but strangely on the day I was very calm. It becomes something surreal! One thing I can encourage you with is that the surgery and the immediate difficulties after do seem to pass so quickly and within months you'll find yourself realizing "I'm free of this symptom" or 'that pain'. It gets better and better until one day you realize all that you were dealing with pre surgery. You'll suddenly realize what it feels like to be 'you' again! Of course there are many blips along the way but you will get there! Hang in there and do whatever you need to to feel ready.

Take care,
Heather
1.4cm L sided AN removed 6th Dec, 2010 (7 weeks after my 3rd baby was born!)
Surgeons - Proff Marcus Atlas & Dr George Wong, Ear Science Institute, Perth Western Australia
Mid Fossa,Hearing preserved,HB level 6 facial palsy Balance
issues
1st Oct, 2011 - Facial recovery HB 2-3, sudden HL of 30dB

schmidtkat

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:05 am »
Hi Patti,

Having a surgery date set can be a mixed bag of emotions. Initially for me having the decision made as to where to go and the date set was a huge weight off my shoulders. Then I became a bit like you...the reality check. The advice I received on here really helped me to prepare. It was a comfort to read the posts of other ANers. Taking that time prior for surgery to get things in order at home and work helped ease things for my absence at both. Finding some extra moments to do things you enjoy might also be good for you as you prepare. Little things like a lunch with a friend and talking on the phone with someone I have been out of touch with for a while and just spending some time relaxing made me realize how important these things are for my physical and mental well being. Find time between now and your surgery to do those things that make you feel good so you go into the proceedure at the top of your game.
Thoughts & prayers ~ Kathy

VTBunny

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 03:25:22 am »
Hi Patty,

I have been trying to schedule my surgery with Drs. McKenna and Dr. Barker for a couple of weeks now but Barker's nurse is never available.  When did you schedule?  Thanks

Chances3

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 11:46:11 am »
Hi Patti,

Hang tough girl, and I have you on my prayer list.

God Bless

New girl

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 05:12:17 pm »
Hi VT Bunny - I found calling in the morning around 9:30am was a good time to call.  I had some OR scheduling issues so I was literally checking in everyday.  If I got the answering service I would just call back.  Best wishes. 
9mmx14mmx9mm
Diagnosed 6/1/2011
Retrosigmoid Surgery 9/27/2011
Daniel Lee (MEEI) & Fred Barker (MGH) - Exceptional Surgeons