Author Topic: New to Forum, New to BAHA  (Read 3306 times)

Tomc1947

New to Forum, New to BAHA
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:54:38 pm »
New to this forum and just want to say Hi!

I have SSD caused by Cholestomia and have had a BP100 since April.
I have to admit that it restores a deminsion to my hearing that was missing, but I've been frustrated by things like feedback, wind noise, crowds, etc. It's been sent back for servicing and the fittings and programming have been done by the Cochlear rep. I'm getting the BP110 within the next week or two and I'm really hoping that it's a improvement.

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm completely dissatified, I'm not, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gotten the Ponto Pro(was my original choice, but that's another story)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: New to Forum, New to BAHA
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »
Hi, Tom.  Welcome to the Forum  ;D

I wear a BAHA - currently a BP100 - and I just love it.  I'm SSD as a result of my AN surgery.

At the time I demo'd the BP100 I also demo'd the Oticon Ponto Pro but knew it wasn't for me. 

My BP100 is my second Cochlear processor, I started with the Divino then upgraded.  I've had the BP100 since April 2010 and thankfully have only had a few minor issues with it.  There seem to be many who've had lots of bigger issues; I'm hopeful the BP110 is the solution to that.

Another great resource for BAHA wearers is the Cochlear Community (www.cochlearcommunity) which is a free discussion forum similar to this one.  Lots of folks there have CI's (Cochlear Implants), but the number of BAHA wearers grows daily.  You should check it out.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: New to Forum, New to BAHA
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:51:05 am »
Hi there .....

Sorry you are having problems.  I have been wearing my Oticon Ponto Pro for almost six weeks now and have not had any of the difficulties you describe ..... nor any difficulties, for that matter.  I have made a couple of trips back to my audiologist for minor tweakings of the settings, but that is all.  I love it.

I saw my audiologist last Thursday and she was very pleased with how well I have adapted to using it.  When she plugged it in for programming, she was so excited that I have been wearing it an average of 11.9 hours a day.  She made the comment that many people are disappointed in various aspects of their devices and when she plugs it in, she finds out they have only been wearing it a couple of hours a day.  She maintains that the more you wear it, the better result you will have, because the brain has to adapt to the new sounds.  I have to assume this would be true no matter which company's product you have.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011