Author Topic: Uneven Focus  (Read 4041 times)

MNTim

Uneven Focus
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:43:21 pm »
I feel my focus has gotten worse recently.  Since my last procedure my focus has been uneven but recently it seems worse.  I have an optometrists appointment later this week.  Anyone else experienced focus issues?

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

spgreenfield

Re: Uneven Focus
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 02:16:11 pm »
Tim -

My retrosigmoid surgery was about 4 weeks ago, and I totally understand what you're talking about!  It's double vision when it's happening, but it seems to come and go for me.  It's mostly bad in the morning (and maybe again at night when I'm tired) but I wonder if it has to do with lying down and something happens with the eye itself.  I'm going to be going to an ophthalmologist to have my cornea checked and I'm going to ask then.  I think I saw on another string about people needing prisms put into their glasses temporarily until it goes away.  It's a pain when it happens though!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

mk

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »
Tim,

I have had this problem too, mostly a month or two before my surgery. I was afraid that it was because of onset of hydrocephalus, but my optometrist reassured me that he saw nothing wrong with the nerves and that I needed a new prescription. He attributed the trouble focusing on the strain on the eye muscles.
However, this improved after my surgery, which makes me think that it had something to do with the tumor pressing on the nerve, specifically my neurosurgeon said that it was affecting the 6th nerve, which is responsible for eye movement.
Subsequent visits to the optometrist and ophthalmologist found a gradual improvement in my vision 6 months post surgery.
I guess I will never know for sure.
See what the optometrist will say, perhaps it is just a prescription issue.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

MNTim

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:51:16 pm »
Thanks All,

Met with the optometrist last week.  Everything checks out.  She feels it is a combination of my inability to close my eye totally, dryness and late day tiredness (more noticeable later in day).  She also thought there may be some residual effect on the 6th nerve.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy