Author Topic: Sensitive eyes since surgery  (Read 4662 times)

Goldineye

Sensitive eyes since surgery
« on: July 22, 2005, 10:59:10 pm »
Hi , I was wondering if any had problems with lights after the AN surgery. As soon as I was able to walk in the hospital I couldn't open my eyes in the hallway. It was TOO bright I needed to wear sunglasses. an I couldn't look up to the seiling either. I had some therapy and looking up has gotten a lot better but I can not open the door and look outside with out covering my eyes or putting on dark sunglasses. I have to wear the sunglasses untill the sun go's down. The docters say they don't know why this is . They say if I had a tumer behind the eye removed then they would understand but for an AN they can't give me an expanatio n. Can anyone relate. Thanks .. Goldineye
Lori
3.5cm removed April7,2004
N.Y.U, New York

heyyouconnie

Re: Sensitive eyes since surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 06:50:01 am »
Yes, I have to wear my sunglasses alot. And the outside is very bright (even when it's cloudy). But I have also noticed it is more sensitive to touch. Like if I touch the applicator for my eye drops to my eye, oh man, it hurts. Or if I get soap in my eye during a shower. I almost want to cry. It's so bad that I now always tape up my eye before my showers so water can't get in. I figured it was just part of it. I haven't asked anyone about it. It is just in the effected side. I figured it might be because of the droopy face and the nerve endings from the surgery. ?????

Rayinpa37

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 08:00:46 am »
My surgery was in March 04.  I was like this for several months.   I got Raccoons from my eye dr.  they shade from front, top and sides.  increase all visibility and made the difference for me.  I still use them on bright days.. but only because i want to.. no longer out of a painful need for them

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ray Grace - age 40
Dunmore, Pa

1.9cm AN removed via Sub-Occipital Surgery
March 8th 2004
Dr. Robert Martuza, Massachusetts General Hospital
--Using CROS Hearing Aids

matti

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 10:28:10 am »
I am 7 years post-op and bright lights still bother me. I do not drive much at night because the oncoming headlights blind me. I sometimes wear sunglasses at night. My affected eye seems alot more sensitve and I stopped using mascara. (That was hard!)

My opthamolgist gave me a prescription for eye drops that he gives to his glaucoma patients. He said that it will aide in not letting the pupil dilate so much and allow me to be able to tolerate light better. I have not tried them as of yet.
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

OneEye

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 01:21:50 pm »
I have always been sensitive to light due to poor eyesight.  But I find since my 2/2001 surgery, that if I walk outside or into sunlight from a window it will throw me off balance.  Loud music (boom boxes!) can also make me lose balance.  After 4 years I have seen almost no improvement in this area so I am  assuming the combined effects of my surgery and poor eyesight really affect the balance.

As a humorous side note, I once walked out of a Disney on Ice concert and the loud music had me so unbalanced I had to hang on to a light pole to keep from falling.  A mounted policeman on traffic control was really giving me the once over.  Traffic had been blocked 2 blocks away due to crowds so my wife had to ask him to allow a car through to pick me up.  Boy was that awkward, especially when my ID said I was a minister!

matti

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 04:23:53 pm »
OneEye - that is one of my greatest fears. I always worry that I am going to get pulled over for some reason and having to explain to the officer about my balance problem. Like he/she will understand and I'm sure they've heard that one before. I have been temped to get a note from my doctor explaining my situation. If my life depended on, I still could not walk a straight line.
Life is great at 50

russ

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 07:56:30 pm »
Hi
  I've always thought to bring this to the attention of law enforcement or the DOT, might get ones license lifted.
Seems difficult to know what's best. If there is a vestibular condition unreported and one caused an accident and were sued, to have this revealed in court may be very incriminating.
  Best wishes for the best choice. I've chosen to just be careful and not risk loosing my license.
  Russ

matti

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 08:48:21 pm »
Russ - good point!
Life is great at 50

Goldineye

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 11:12:28 pm »
Thank you everyone , I am glad to hear their are other people that share the same symptoms. I do wear BIG sunglasses all the time. And  i hear what you say One Eye. I always look like I had  a few too many. Like Matti was saying it's hard to walk a straight line, especially on the lawn ! ... So we All look drunk ;D  Goldineye
Lori
3.5cm removed April7,2004
N.Y.U, New York