Author Topic: Year #2 MRI Shows Growth - Time for Treatment ?  (Read 3561 times)

lrobie

Year #2 MRI Shows Growth - Time for Treatment ?
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:23:06 pm »
My journey started in 2009 when I was initially diagnosed with an AN due to sudden hearing loss.  It measured 7mm x 4mm.  I have been seeing Dr. Hirsch and Dr. Gardner at UPMC.  They both have recommended watch and wait until my last MRI.  It has now measured 9.5 mm x 5 mm.  I have also lost 12% of my hearing, have tinnitus and dizziness.  Hearing came back in 2009 after taking steroids.  The doctors now believe I need to make the decision on treatment.  The options they gave were cyberknife or mid-fossa surgery.  I've been reading a lot of your posts as I'm not sure which way to go.  I am 44 years old.  I think I may get a second opinion at the Cleveland Clinic.  Any information would be helpful.  Also, I have been following SarahinPA as she had trans-lab on 7/29 by the same doctors.  I'm hoping she reads this.

Lisa

6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Year #2 MRI Shows Growth - Time for Treatment ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:31:44 pm »
Hi, Lisa ~

I'm sorry you're the recipient of an acoustic neuroma diagnosis - but glad you decided to join the ANA discussion forums.  I hope we can help.

I'm not a doctor and cannot offer you a qualified opinion on what treatment you should pursue but our members have had good outcomes with both CyberKnife as well as the Middle Fossa approach AN surgery.  I'm sure Sarah will be along soon to offer her perspective.  Meanwhile, we're all available for support as you continue your AN journey.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:03:04 pm »
Lisa

The main thing that I would say is to take your time and research all options.  And most important be comfortable with what you decide to do, not what someone else wants you to do.  Your AN is about the same size as the one I have and I decided to have Cyberknife last November.  There have been some side effects, but so far nothing to put me on the sideline.  I won't know if the tumor is dying until my next MRI in November.

Best of luck with your decision.

TJ

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:46:49 pm »
TJ,

Can I ask what side effects you had with the Cyberknife?

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »
I have has a "small" amount of hearing loss on the AN side, but I already wear a hearing aid so that took care of it.  I have had some balance issues but not enough to keep me down.  I just have to be careful when I first stand up.  And the last thing is that I have had some increased tinnitus.  I had tinnitus before the Cyberknife but it is up just a slight bit.

I have to say that of course each person has a different response, I have seen some post that the writer says they have had no side effects, and some that have had worse than I describe.

Again good luck with the decision.  I am glad I did cyberknife and would do it again if needed.

TJ