Author Topic: metallic taste in mouth...  (Read 4587 times)

Jwh

metallic taste in mouth...
« on: December 14, 2011, 12:16:18 pm »
Hello...

I've had 2 AN surgeries.  My last one almost 3 years ago. Prior to my surgeries and after I had an on/off metallic taste in my mouth.  I just recently noticed it again.  I am kind of freaking out about it.  I know I have trigeminal nerve damage as a result from the tumor and surgeries.  So here's my question....I was sick last week and am wondering if my nasal cavities swelled putting pressure on the nerve to create this metallic taste or is this something that comes and goes with what we had (AN) issues??  Does anyone else experience this from time to time?
Thanks for your feedback!

Jennifer
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: metallic taste in mouth...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 04:21:33 pm »
Jennifer ~

The metallic taste is, as you noted, caused by pressure on the trigeminal nerve.  Whether your returning metallic taste is caused by nasal swelling or a re-growth of the AN is something best answered by your doctor.  However, if the metallic taste abates soon, that will point to nasal swelling as the culprit.   Were this happening to me and the metallic taste remained, I would consult my doctor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jwh

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 04:37:25 pm »
@ Jim thanks for your thoughts.  I did have a clear MRI 5 months ago so that is reassuring to me.  You think it's possible for something to grow in that time frame (big enough) to put pressure on the nerve?
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:43:23 pm »
@ Jim thanks for your thoughts.  I did have a clear MRI 5 months ago so that is reassuring to me.  You think it's possible for something to grow in that time frame (big enough) to put pressure on the nerve?

Jennifer ~

I think it's possible but not very probable

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 09:47:48 pm »
jennifer,

I am over 2 years post op and I continue to have episodes of burning, irritation on the an side of my tongue. It has disappeared for a few months after surgery but then came back for a few months. This past year I have periodic episodes that can last from one day to 1 week. I have asked all my doctors if this is something I will always have due to nerve damage and no one really knows. One of the doctors told me that usually by the third year post op this side effect of surgery goes away, but I am not sure if anyone really knows the answer. These weird feelings and in your case metallic taste, are caused by damaged nerves that can't find their connection and thus they become irritated, leaving us with various symptoms. One suggestion that I received recently from a doctor was that when I have this feeling I should suck on a peppermint candy or a Hall's lozenge- the reason being that the strong taste will distract the nerve- have not tried this yet so not sure if it works. I am curious- is this taste sensation that you get present in the morning and then does it become gradually worse throughout the day? This is what happens to me- I never wake up with it but during the day it comes on and gets worse as the day continues and by nighttime it is intense.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010