Author Topic: CPT code 61796 (Stereostatic Radiosurgery) - Fair & Customary Charges  (Read 9078 times)

michelekrentz

Hello everyone!

If you've had the stereostatic radiosurgery performed upon you, what did your insurance company pay on this particular piece?

I have a HUGE discrepancy of what my insurance company paid and what the doctor wants for just this procedure (code 61796).

I've tried to call United Healthcare (an insurance company he does participate with) and they will not give any information out on what they pay for this code.

I need to get figures to show what is a reasonable and customary charge for this procedure code so I can better negotiate with this doctor. There is no way I can pay the balance, which is over 21k for just this code. It seems quite excessive for out of pocket cost, but I need more facts to work with.

ANY help is appreciated. Thank you!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: CPT code 61796 (Stereostatic Radiosurgery) - Fair & Customary Charges
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:17:38 am »
Hi Michele and welcome.

Do you have your insurance through an employer (ie: you, spouse/partner, etc)? They should have the benefits package outlining what is covered and not.  You can also phone UHC and inquire to them what they deem as Reasonable/Customary (R&C) for the "Stereotactic Radiation" procedure.  They must disclose to you what they paid as you should also receive in the mail an EOB (Explanation of Benefits) which will tell you anyway....so, for their Cust Svc not to tell is crazy!  UHC is famous for not being one of the best health plans for coverage (I was briefly on it via my husband's employer and they barely covered anything for me) but they should disclose to you. Ask for an EoB of the procedure.  The dr's office should disclose to you as well.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:45:17 pm »
Lots of docs will let you "off the hook" for what your insurance doesn't cover.

Have you asked about that possibility?

Just a thought,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 06:26:26 am »
If he does participate that means he agrees to the amount for the procedure that UHC pays. Usually the EOB from UHC should state the billed amount, the amount allowed, the amount UHC paid, and the amount that the patient pays.  It usually states that the patient is not responsible for any other differences.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:04:12 pm »
Michele ~

See Jan's post (#2). 

When I asked my doctor about the cost of the AN debulking surgery he was going to perform, he assured me that he would accept "whatever your insurance pays" and urged me not to worry about money, just about getting well.  He kept his word.  My medical insurer (Blue Cross, then) paid approximately $28,000. to my neurosurgeon and his assistant (also a neurosurgeon) and $60,000 to the hospital.  I never received a bill from the doctor.  Its worth asking.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

AnnR

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 01:49:34 pm »
My charges for the cpt code of 61796 were $5,754.00. I have Medicare....Medicare allowed $908.79 as ucr and my neurosurgeon rec'd only $789.64 for his part.  as you may know, that Medicare has very different guidelines than private ins.  The totals for all the services, received day of GK at Jackson, Ms at the hospital, was just over $124,000.00.  of which Medicare allowed $8,924.50.......

Maybe this will help you.

I know that if you are on Medicare as I am, that  if the doctor accepts assignment then he must accept what Medicare allows for Medicare patients.

Just as someone else wrote.....talk to the physician's patient accounts people or even him....you never know till you ask.

AnnR