Author Topic: Surgery tomorrow - 7/21  (Read 8011 times)

Cheryl R

Re: Surgery tomorrow - 7/21
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 08:23:21 am »
Itheus, I am glad to hear you are home and doing well!    Only ANers really understand "well"  for now.      I am sorry to hear of the hearing loss but you were at where there was the best chance to keep it.    All depends on what's going on with the nerves and blood supply.      We're here for any questions you have for those days when it is "Am I supposed to be feeling this way?"    Do you have the back door no if do have questions for IC and a dr?   I do if need it.   
                               Take it easy and wish you a good recovery!              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 03:26:41 pm »
Itheus ~

Thanks for the update.  I'm pleased to learn that you're home - and doing so well.  I hope your smooth recovery continues.  I'm sure having such a good nurse is helping.   ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LisaP

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 05:45:33 pm »
Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

ckoza1

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 08:45:46 am »
Best wishes on your recovery. I have been only recently diagnosed and have a far way to go before surgery, but I have followed your progress and am much relieved for you that all went well. Your experiences will help me and many others as we prepare for our own surgeries, so I thank you very much for your willingness to share. You are in my prayers. Chester

Itheus

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 07:14:24 pm »
Best wishes on your recovery. I have been only recently diagnosed and have a far way to go before surgery, but I have followed your progress and am much relieved for you that all went well. Your experiences will help me and many others as we prepare for our own surgeries, so I thank you very much for your willingness to share. You are in my prayers. Chester

Thanks Chester, and best wishes to you too!

It seems no one can guarantee the outcome of these surgeries.  So like you, I followed a lot of different people on this forum and their experiences.  It proved to be very helpful and therapeutic.  I wanted to make sure to reciprocate others' kindness of sharing their experiences!

JAndrews

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 06:19:10 pm »
Glad to hear you are doing well! I didn't have any taste issues until a few months later..my mouth had the taste of a burned biscuit (only way I can describe it) it eventually went away. 1/2 of my face did go paralyzed about 3 weeks after the surgery..only lasted about 2 weeks. I'm just telling you this so you don't freak out if t happens...all is fine and normal! Just part of the surgery. My tumor was not an acoustic neuroma. It looked just like it, but it was a meningioma..also benign. Have you found out what your tumor actually was?? BTW, the fatigue lasts a while. I took alot of naps
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Dolwin

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 08:50:50 am »
Great to hear how well you're doing so far!  Hope your recovery continues to go as smoothly as possible.
1.4 x 1.7 x 1.2 cm AN diagnosed 6/11.  8% hearing left in right ear.  RetroSig surgery set for 8/25.

Itheus

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 03:01:56 pm »
Glad to hear you are doing well! I didn't have any taste issues until a few months later..my mouth had the taste of a burned biscuit (only way I can describe it) it eventually went away. 1/2 of my face did go paralyzed about 3 weeks after the surgery..only lasted about 2 weeks. I'm just telling you this so you don't freak out if t happens...all is fine and normal! Just part of the surgery. My tumor was not an acoustic neuroma. It looked just like it, but it was a meningioma..also benign. Have you found out what your tumor actually was?? BTW, the fatigue lasts a while. I took alot of naps

I kind of found out what it was.  It was some sort of fibrous material that was wreaking havoc on my nerve...they thought it seemed like scar tissue of some sort - maybe my bodies response to some sort of infection at some point.  Dr. Gantz has done a lot of these surgeries and has only seen this a few times.  It was growing, so it's important that it got out.  They also found all cells to be benign, which is the most important thing!

Again, thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 02:56:24 pm »
Great news...very happy for you.

James

moe

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 10:52:07 am »
Well, that was quick. ;) And good to hear that it was benign fibrous stuff. Take it easy now with lots of resting in between the walking!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 06:38:21 pm »
Glad your surgery went well with no complications.....hearing is one of those things that the surgeons hope to preserve but seems like most of us loose that.  Hope your recovery continues to be positive.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!