Author Topic: Hair perm or haircut?  (Read 10331 times)

Corrin

Hair perm or haircut?
« on: July 16, 2011, 02:44:59 pm »
Hi Everyone,

this may be a silly question but i was wondering if it's safe to get a perm just one month after the surgery? I'm trying to get a new hair style to lift my mood.

thanks in advance.

corrin
Diagnosed May 2011, 3.5cm x 4cm x 3.5cm
Translab June 20, 2011 with Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz
Symptoms prior to surgery: right facial and tongue numbness, right hearing loss.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Hair perm or haircut?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 02:52:41 pm »
Corrin ~

Obviously, this is question best answered by the ladies.  However, I see no reason why getting a perm would be a problem, but then, never having had one, how would I know?  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 03:52:31 pm »
I would not get a perm so soon post op.     The incison is still tender and the type of chemicals used would not be good for it and probably hurt like heck.         I know I have waited quite some time after till I even thought of trying.    I know some have colored their hair which I do not do but perm I would not.                   This may be disappointing  as know that wants to look their best after going thru such a surgery.     It will work in time.                  Cheryl R 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 03:56:44 pm »
It's fine as long as your head is "healed" - which is different for each of us.

I suggest you ask your doctor - and don't worry, this is a very common questions for him/her.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Anasazi42

• "Per aspera, ad astra"
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:11:07 am »
Hi! I'm a new poster. I had my surgery to remove a 3.0 cm AN (right side) on May 12th. I had my first follow-up with my neurosurgeon on June 29th and after checking the incision sight, he gave me the green light for any hair modification  :) that includes cut, perm, color, whatever. But, I agree with the other posters that this is a valid and common question for your neurosurgeon. So, I would definitely ask. I'd be surprised if the doc doesn't bring it up first.
Diag. Dr. Saffran ENT 3-9-11; 45 yrs at time of diag. 3.5+ cm AN rt side; 9 hr retrosigmoid craniectomy 5-12-11 FL Hosp. South, Neurosurgeon Dr. Melvin Field; Gold wt implant
Post-op: facial para. (rt), double vision (cleared up), SSD, tinnitus, balance issues, ataxia, movement disorder

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:49:11 am »
I am 7 weeks post op and my scar is still tender, I would think the perm would burn it but of course the hairdresser can take precautions around it.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 02:35:26 pm »
Corrin .....

I would have to agree with the others on both the possibility of it burning at the incision site and also to ask your surgeon.

Depending upon how much of your head is shaved, hair grows on the average of 1/2" per month so even at two months, your hairdresser would have difficulty getting your hair around a perm rod in that area.  That being said, if/when your physician gives the OK, if your hairdresser puts Vaseline along the incision line, it should reduce possible irritation at the site.

I had a perm maybe two months before my first surgery.  The curl from that perm loosened some post-op but was still enough to be easy to maintain until I could get another one (do not remember for sure, but it was probably three to four months post-op).  Before my second surgery, I decided to cut my hair shorter than normal for me and did not have a recent perm.  I am leaving it shorter for awhile now (with no perm) ..... mainly because I am not sure I want perm solution around the abutment until after I am sure it is fully healed.

Hope that helps some.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cin605

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 07:04:02 pm »
I would think those rollers being pulled so tight would be enuf for me.Is your head still numb from anestesia?mine was numb for a good six months.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

sarahinPA

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 07:09:43 pm »
Corrin,
If I were you, I would wait, or talk with the doctor. I know that many salons will not even cut hair when there is an open wound or incision, so if your not yet all healed up, you may have to wait. But check with the doc to be sure!
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

lori67

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 07:07:10 am »
Jim,

I think you'd look stunning with a perm!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

staypoz

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:17:15 am »
After my wound was healed and I went for my first cut, the hairdresser put one of those padded neck rests over the basin to make it less painful for me.  If one isn't available, a rolled up towel will do until the tenderness subsides.

staypoz

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 10:16:18 pm »
Jim,

I think you'd look stunning with a perm!   ;D

Lori

I second that!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways