Author Topic: Have often do you get MRI's post op?  (Read 16269 times)

Phillies

Have often do you get MRI's post op?
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:50:14 pm »
Just wondering...  After surgery and assuming the entire tumor is removed, how often does one get an MRI?

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Re: Have often do you get MRI's post op?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:59:22 pm »
This question has been posted on here before and all the answers varied so much.   A lot of it has to do with just who your doctor is and what he thinks.   Possibly what the patient thinks too.   If you are concerned and want one sooner, sure you can ask your doctor.   Then there are some who say their doctor says 1 every year for 10 years or something.   Well, MRI's are very expensive so some people just choose to wait  more than a year (especially if just watching in case of regrowth....they are known to be slower growing tumors).     Gee, some people who's doctor said they 'got it all' may recommend 2 weeks up to a year.   Now that may be to see if the inside is healing well or something.    I think most are due about 1 year post op.

Now if you had some residual, left over parts, I am sure they monitor it closer.   

As for my own situation, I'm sorry I can't exactly answer that because I have another benign tumor in my brain that has to be monitored too.   I wasn't supposed to get an MRI until about 1 year post op, but I had such swelling and severe pain a couple weeks after surgery that I had to get an MRI right away to be sure there wasn't some bad complication going on in there.

Sorry, not another one of those 'clear cut answers' that many of us would like  ???

Denise

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

TP

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:59:55 am »
The year I had my surgery I had an MRI about every 4 months (they had to leave a small portion on the bone next to my brain stem). Then after that first year I had one once a year. I am happy to say I had my last MRI in October 2010 and my Dr said he does not need to see me any longer unless of course I have some issues. So it does depend on each person's situation.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »
Phillies ~

As Denise stated, follow-up MRI scans are very subjective with doctor preference and judgment being the main criteria. I underwent both (debulking ) surgery and radiation.  My very conservative neurosurgeon ordered MRI scans immediately after my surgery (as a baseline to measure any future growth) and after my FSR he ordered an MRI at three months and again at a year, post-op/radiation.  I had an MRI on my second surgery anniversary and the remaining AN showed necrosis and the beginnings of shrinkage.  I have not had an MRI since then (2008).  Obviously I have no symptoms and I'm doing great.  My neurosurgeon has not suggested that I need another MRI, and he would if he thought it were at all necessary. So, I'll likely not be getting an MRI unless I notice symptoms re-appear or my doctor recommends it as a 'precaution'.  Again, there is not a precise guideline to post-op MRI scan frequency. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:25:18 pm »
Hi,

I also had an MRI while I was still in the hospital after my surgery. Then I had about 3 or 4 during my first year because of the severe headaches I was having. I will be having my 2 yr MRI in a month (alittle early because I will be switching to a new insurance that will not cover the MRI in full). So as you can see, like everything else about AN's, we are all different.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:33:56 pm »
Depends on the doc.

I've had one annually for the past 4 years.

My doc usually goes with 1 annually for the first 5 years and then if there's no regrowth, every 2-3 years for a time. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tichinose

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:02:06 pm »
I get one every 3 mos

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:37 pm »
I get one every 3 mos

That seems like a lot.  Mind if I ask why you get one every 3 months?

Did they leave some of your tumor behind during the surgery and feel they need to monitor it?

Also, do they use gadolinium contrast each time?  If so, make sure they are doing the appropriate blood tests (BUN and creatinine) so they are aware of possible kidney problems.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 08:37:18 am »
It does seem to be all over the ballpark on post-op MRI schedules.  After my first surgery, I had an MRI at 5 months post-op, again at 12 months, then yearly until the "area of enhancement" grew and it was determined to actually be regrowth.  Had a second surgery 4 months after that MRI (now 4 months post-op again).  Do not need an MRI until one year post-op (8 months from now).  If that is clear, I will not need another one for 4 years after that.

Apparently much of the frequency depends upon whether the surgeon(s) is satisfied every speck of the tumor was removed during surgery and what the first subsequent MRI shows.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JAndrews

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 09:00:30 am »
If it was all removed, once a year for 2 years--then at 5--then at 10--if nothing at 10 yrs, you are done. Thats what I was told
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 09:55:08 pm »
Yep, it depends on the doctor. usually the first two years are crucial fro regrowth - so I did annual MRI scan for the first three years and now my doctor advised me to take a regular MRI every 5 years.

hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

tichinose

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 06:05:42 pm »
Jan....I have to get mri every 3 mos because the tumor has grown every mri and they have to monitor closely.  I am actually getting kidney cat scan and blood tests tomorrow....

FlyersFan68

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 11:51:54 am »
I had surgery eight years ago this April. I had mri's done at 6 mos., 18mos., 36 mos. and will get my five year done this summer. If that's clean too who knows after that?

lamplight

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 05:20:02 am »
I'm in Australia - had my surgery June 2010 and don't have my first post surgery MRI scheduled until June next year (so two years from surgery). Not sure if this is usual as they were confident that they got it all. Had a CT Scan immediately after surgery and all fine.
Would be interested to hear from any others in Australia if this is the usual practice.

I had wondered if the difference is due to the different types of health system. In Australia we can access the public health system (which I did) which is no cost but may be longer waiting times depending on the urgency of what you're in for. But when I was looking in to surgery (and panicking somewhat) I got some quotes of how much it would cost if I wanted it done in the private system and didn't have insurance, and was told $10,000-$15,000 total. I was surprised about this due to hearing on this site about how much it costs in the US which seems to be ten or even twenty times this - although your insurance generally covers it - maybe that's why they do more frequent MRIs?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 04:17:51 pm »
I'm in Australia - had my surgery June 2010 and don't have my first post surgery MRI scheduled until June next year (so two years from surgery). Not sure if this is usual as they were confident that they got it all. Had a CT Scan immediately after surgery and all fine.
Would be interested to hear from any others in Australia if this is the usual practice.

I had wondered if the difference is due to the different types of health system. In Australia we can access the public health system (which I did) which is no cost but may be longer waiting times depending on the urgency of what you're in for. But when I was looking in to surgery (and panicking somewhat) I got some quotes of how much it would cost if I wanted it done in the private system and didn't have insurance, and was told $10,000-$15,000 total. I was surprised about this due to hearing on this site about how much it costs in the US which seems to be ten or even twenty times this - although your insurance generally covers it - maybe that's why they do more frequent MRIs?

I'm in the U.S. and, obviously, can't respond to your query regarding the Australian health care system protocols for AN surgery patients.  However, I will attempt to address the second part of your post regarding the rationale for the U.S. system's costs for AN surgery and the frequency of MRI scans. 

The U.S. health care system is privately funded, for the most part, but approximately 20% of all U.S. residents are enrolled in the government health care program known as 'Medicare', available to citizens 65 or older and those who are disabled (at a small annual cost, currently approximately $1200.)  Because, ethically, hospitals have to accept any sick person who presents themself, whether they are insured or not, most hospitals run at a financial loss. The federal taxpayer-funded Medicare and the state-run Medicaid programs do not reimburse the hospitals (and doctors) at anything close to the real cost of the services rendered, adding to the financial burden on them.  Their solution has been to increase the costs of services to sometimes astronomical levels, knowing that the majority of their patients will be insured and the insurance companies will pay the bill.  Of course, the hospitals are forced to 'negotiate' with the private insurance companies so they always set their initial charge very high.  For example: a $10,000. bill may be negotiated down to $700.  I've seen this happen on my own bills.  With Medicare/Medicaid patients, the government (state or federal) set the price they'll pay for a 'covered' treatment and there is no real negotiation involved.  If the hospital agrees to accept Medicare/Medicaid patients, they must agree beforehand to accept whatever fees the government agrees to pay.  Of course, private insurance companies are profit-making businesses, not charities, and they simply pass along the escalating cost of hospital services in the form of higher annual premiums for their customers., shifting the cost burden to the consumer, as you would expect. 

This situation has driven many doctors (but few hospitals) to decline to accept patients that are insured with the government program (Medicare or Medicaid).  It has also prompted a proposed government health insurance program called the 'Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act' (PPACA)  which was passed by congress last year and is highly controversial.  The program has been legally challenged by 25 or more states and it's legality is expected to be adjudicated by the U.S. Supreme Court later this year.  In my view, the U.S. has a fine health care system and although it isn't 'free', it is still worth what we pay, which, whether insured under a private plan or through Medicare/Medicaid, is not unreasonably expensive, in most cases, although with a population of over 300 million people, you will always find situations where a person or family experienced financial ruin due to steep medical bills.  My church has helped some members with high medical bills and secular charities also help, although some folks are too proud to ask and there is nothing we can do about that, even though we understand their reluctance to ask for help.

My neurosurgeon agreed to take whatever my (private) insurance paid for his services and he told me "don't worry about money, just concentrate on getting well".   I was happy to take his advice.  I later learned that my insurance company paid my neurosurgeon and his assistant (also a neurosurgeon) $28,000. (U.S.) for a very complex nine-hour surgery.   I don't believe he was overpaid. However, the hospital bill, everything included (operating room, intensive care, meds, etc) came to over $60,000. for a five day stay - and I suffered no complications.  The frequency of MRI scans is really the doctor's prerogative.  Because the risk of tumor re-growth is higher in the first two years post-op or post radiation, more frequent MRI scans are ordered.  Once that time period has passed with no sign of tumor re-growth, the MRI scans are spaced further apart.  MRI scans  run into the thousands of dollars and the private insurance companies won't pay for them unless they are deemed 'medically necessary'.  I imagine that the taxpayer-funded Australian health care system is even more prudent in this regard.  Most taxpayer-funded government-run health care systems are like this.

Please forgive the length of this post but it involved some complex issues and I thought your questions deserved a detailed response.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.