Author Topic: any one musical ear?  (Read 2569 times)

AN?

any one musical ear?
« on: July 07, 2006, 10:09:52 am »
Hi:
I have a question.
did any of you were/are a musician? What happens to the hearing of the fine notes after surgery and loss of hearing? I am trained in music and thats a part of me. I am worried about my capability of identifying small note changes.
Thanks

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: any one musical ear?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 10:32:41 am »
I'm a musician, too, but haven't played much since SSD.  The last time I played with a group of people, my fingers remember what to do. I play flute, so the sound kinda of reverberates thru my head. I did notice my singing harmonies to be rather imporved, actually--I used to stick my finger in my ear to find 3rds and 5ths to sing harmonies.  What do you play?
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 11:21:21 am »
we need crazykat/Paul here. He is a rock/roll musician, had a massive sized AN removed last year and still playing in his band....

Yo, rockerdude! Where are ya? :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 11:32:57 am »

Thats a Paul question!

as for me, I'm no musician, but I still love to blast the car radio at times ... its just if I play with the Balance and Fader .. it all sounds the same to me! .. with and with-out a my BAHA ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 12:37:21 pm »
Hi

I am a musician and former music teacher. I taught middle school band for 13 years before I was diagnosed with NF2. I had just finshed a Master's in music 4 months before I was diagnosed. I am deaf in one ear and have normal hearing in the other at this point. I taught band for one year after becoming deaf on one side. It was very frustrating. Although I could still hear a wrong note, I couldn't  locate the source and see the student using an incorrect fingering. It changed the way I rehearsed the band, and drove me nuts! Since I knew that I would at some point be unable to teach band, and since an opportunity to move into a different postition, that was my last year teaching band >:(

I put my trumpet away after I finshed teaching band. I started grad school and haven't had time to play. I did continue to sing in various groups, and found that where I stood  in relation to the group was critial to how comfortable I felt. It just takes adjusting.  My sister has SSD (not related to NF2) and she is a fabulous flute player and singer. However, she grew up with SSD and learned to sing and play with SSD, so she doesn't know anything different. I think that it's just a matter of learning to listen differently. You may have to work a little harder on intonation, but it can be done.

I hope this helps,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 06:28:01 pm »
I listen to other choirs as well as sing in one.  I still have a fine ability to hear a bad pitch and a slip on the piano.  I used to be able to sing a harmony from my head without the soprano there.  Now I must have the soprano there to support my own pitches.  People in my group are still inviting me back every Sunday, so I must be doing something right.  I have no techinical voice training, just a natural ablility to hear pitches and 3rd's and 5th's.  No change, post op.  Thankful, for this one blessing.

AN?

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 08:46:16 pm »
Thanks all of you. I sing. So looks like that it will be another challenge I have to face if after my surgery I go SSD. Thanks for making me aware of this.