Author Topic: Will I Ever ride a motorcycle again ?  (Read 11238 times)

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Will I Ever ride a motorcycle again ?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 12:55:30 pm »
I had my BAHA done when I had my translab surgery done...two in one. I am a year and 3 months post surgery, and I am still wonky, but I don't have full scale vertigo. It is something I have become used to, and it does not interfere with me having a happy and full life style. I gave up the motorcycle and bike, but I still have my boat, still can lift weights everyday, and life is much better following the surgery than it was prior to the surgery. It is a slow recovery, so do not get discouraged...you have a great life ahead of you!

Twindad

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 02:36:07 pm »
Thanks for the words of wisdom James. I am a very determined person that will not let something like this push me down. I will miss the bike and have considered another flats boat. My doctor tells me that because of the size of my AN my body may have been overcompensating for a long time and there may not be any balance issues. Guess I will find out in 48 hours. Maybe I can have them save the tumor and I could use it as a bobber when I go out fishing on my new boat.  :D
Translab Surgical approach
3.5cm x 3.8cm x 4cm. Loss of hearing on left. Removed 6-23-11 / 10.5 hrs

skipg

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 12:29:52 pm »
I have been riding for over 40 years. Life without toys would life without boys. Saying that, I have been lurking on the forums for 6 mos since I was diagnosed with a 12 x 6 x4 mm's an. MC's have been a passion for me and to think of life without riding would be a real adjustment for me. I have gone through all the emotions and just came back from the ANA Symposium in Cincy. I am convinced there is total and complete healing after an treatment. This part for me is faith based and mentally accepting whatever the outcome I will be a better person because of it. I am WW as per local Dr and the recommendations from the symposium. Do not sell the bike, look at it as a challenge and a goal to be back in the saddle soon and safely riding wherever the road leads. I realize your surgery is in a couple of days and wll keep you in my prayers. Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 11:13:21 am »
One of the ridders in my club ran into a tree in the New Mexico mountains and broke his back, and he cannot walk, but he can sit on a motorcycle. He added a side car to a BMW, and it has a hand shifter and both brakes work off the handlebars. If you can drive a car safely, but your are still some-what wonky, a sidecar might be the answer, and CanAm makes a nice trike now...all good options.

I would be looking at one of  these, but I promised my wife that motorcycles are not part of my life any more. I really miss all the fun, and I hope both of you will have a very good outcome from your treatment and can continue to ride.

James

Chances3

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 11:48:06 am »
Hey TwinDad,

I've never been involved with motor bikes, but I can understand the emotion.

First, good luck with the surgery tomorrow.

Second, take it one step at a time, it's a long road to healing, be patient and

be grateful with what you have.  Post AN surgery is challenging, but we have to face

life with what it gives us.

Don't be afraid to vent your frustrations on this site, you have plenty of company.

God Bless !

Twindad

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 06:14:10 pm »
Thanks for all of the help on the motorcycle topic. After meeting with three doctors today I got another reality check.  >:( I go in for the golf ball harvesting at 4:30 in the morning and the MRI shows this thing attached to nerves that concern them. So the bike goes and I find another man sport thing to do. ??? I'll start out with some nurse flirting in ICU and maybe move up to badminton or something. 
Translab Surgical approach
3.5cm x 3.8cm x 4cm. Loss of hearing on left. Removed 6-23-11 / 10.5 hrs

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 03:36:50 pm »
Okay, just what nerves is your golf ball attached to?

Most of us had an AN that was attached to 1 or more of the 3 following nerves: balance, hearing, facial.  If these are the nerves in question, I wouldn't worry about the motorcycle.

There are lots of stories on the Forum from athletes - marathons (both running and cycling), standup paddleboarding, etc.,

I'm not a doctor, but personally I wouldn't sweat it.  Never say never!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

worrywart

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 08:52:34 am »
 My BF will probably be going for surgery and he has flat out refused to get rid of the bike. He says he will get a sidecar or trike it out for the stability if he needs it. Either might be an option for you.

reg

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 08:56:12 pm »
 >:D I, too am an avid rider (harley) also considered a child lol seriously thru replied earlier this yr bout the joy of gettin on my bicycle n riding it mc next so it can b done lotsa walking n rehab n keep the faith    reg
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

kareno

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 09:11:32 am »
Hi TwinDad:

My husband had a 3cm AN removed which was kissing his brain stem a year ago by Dr. Heilmann Tufts Boston and  he has been riding his motorcycle this summer and is thrilled to be on it.  He did not have any facial paralysis, balance issues or headaches, does have SSD and a walking gait issue.  Everyone's healing process is unique and he did have to take some time before he could ride but hold out on the sale of your motorcycle just yet.  Have patience with the recovery, you will be in my thoughts and prayers!!

Karen
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon