Author Topic: any docs vt or nh?  (Read 5240 times)

Lesliegc

any docs vt or nh?
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:09:25 am »
Just diagnosed with AN 2 days ago. Anyone have doc recommendations for  VT or NH?
4mmx9mm  right side
diagnosed 6/11/11
middle fossa  7/25/11 at HEI
developed chronic headaches at 5 months post op

Chris P

Re: any docs vt or nh?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:58:18 am »
Hello,

I am so sorry you were diagnosed with AN.  I was diagnosed last year and I know what you are going through.  I am sorry I do not know any doctors in your area .   I am in Gainsville , Florida and we have Shands teaching hospital which is where I had my Gamma Knife last June.  I would suggest you do a lot of research and decide on the best choice for you. 

I went with the Gamma Knife because Dr. Friedman one of it's inventors was at Shands and I felt if it did not do the job I could always have the surgery.  So far I have been happy .  I am still not back to normal but I am hopeful that that will come in time.  Good luck and if you have any questions just post them on this forum and someone will answer you .  You have come to the right place for support, everyone is so nice.  Good Luck.

Chris Paulsen
Small AN 14mm , right side , Gamma Knife Radiation 6/22/10 Gainsville, Florida.
Balance issues, hearing loss and facial weakness appeared four months post op.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:13:20 pm »
There was a woman treated a year or two ago at Dartmouth and I think she was happy with the outcome and her doctors. I'll see if I can find the thread(s). If you're willing or able to come to Boston, there are several good doctors for any treatment method. Let us know if you're interested in any of those recommendations.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:43:32 pm »
Hi Leslie and welcome. We need to hook you up with YogaSue here in Mass.  She is amazing!

I'm trying to think of who it was that was treated at Dartmouth Hitchcock but for NH, that is the place to go. I am not familiar with treatment options in VT.  As for Metro Boston, wayyyy too many of us (myself included) to note all the AN treatment options available locally.

Couldn't get any better than in our own "back yard".  Welcome to the forums.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Lesliegc

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 05:12:45 am »
Thank you Phyl and Katie
I'm in the "system" at Dartmouth and am meeting with the neurotologist in the know next week...I may also explore the Boston option so I'll keep you posted
Leslie
4mmx9mm  right side
diagnosed 6/11/11

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 05:27:57 am »
Thank you Phyl and Katie
I'm in the "system" at Dartmouth and am meeting with the neurotologist in the know next week...I may also explore the Boston option so I'll keep you posted
Leslie

Glad to help, Leslie. I thought (if my old-age memory serves me well) that there was a neurosurgeon at DH that originally was based at either Mass Gen or Brigham/Woman's. If I heard his name, I'd say "yah! THAT's him!"  I heard nothing but good about him. Will have to check my email history here.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:49:47 am »
OK, I found the two forumites I was thinking of who had surgery at Dartmouth-Hitchcock.

1) Lamsue23 had retro surgery in 2008 with Drs. Morrison and Erkmen
2) cin605 had retro surgery in 2008 as well

They both had many threads about the surgery and experiences so you can search for them on the forum. You can also send them private messages asking for input.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 07:33:31 pm »
I am from NH and respect what they do at Dartmouth but I chose to go to Boston (Dr Mckenna MEEI), they do many more AN's there and I wanted surgeons that do many.  But the ones that had the surgery at Dartmouth had great outcomes as well.  Good luck with your journey.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Lesliegc

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 08:39:43 pm »
thanks so much for the input...was not impressed with Dartmouth and frankly had shoddy treatment (first meeting with surgeons they didn't call me to tell me the surgeon couldn't make it, and seemed surprised that I wouldn't be just as happy meeting with his nurse). I have pretty much decided to go out to HEI in LA where they do a bazillion of these things. Have you had your surgery yet? Many thanks,
Leslie
4mmx9mm  right side
diagnosed 6/11/11

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 01:51:05 pm »
I had very good results with my surgery at Mass General, it was done on May31st.  The surgery itself is a tough surgery, riding home 5 days later was hard, I cannot imagine being in LA and even flying after 2 weeks, that is a long journey.  Dr. McKenna at MEEI has quite a few of us as his patients, he is very good, think it would not hurt to go and at least talk to him, at least Boston is close.  I  did entertain the thought of going to LA but just could not figure out all the logistics and the expense.  Best of luck with your decisions.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 07:25:34 am »
You should chat with Cindy  (cin605)  who lives in New Market.   She lives in New Market and she is only allowed to go to NH docs.  Her surgery was a Dartmouth.

Take care,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh