Author Topic: NICO Myriad Brain Tumor “Vacuum”  (Read 4575 times)

Phillies

NICO Myriad Brain Tumor “Vacuum”
« on: June 11, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »
I was doing a search and found an article about this new fancy NICO Myriad Brain Tumor “Vacuum” that the House Clinic uses. I was surpirsed there wan't more talk about it here on the message boards. Appsrently with this device a smaller hole is cut and there is less trauma and easier recovery times...   Is this a new tool that the House Clinic is using for all of their surgeries? Are any other places using it?

sgerrard

Re: NICO Myriad Brain Tumor “Vacuum”
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:33:35 pm »
A previous thread on this topic may answer some of your questions:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=13274

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

nftwoed

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:27:20 pm »
Hi;
  To my knowledge, HEI began using the suction device in the Autumn of 2010. The NIH article I read a while back gives the NICO device a good report for being able to use a smaller burr hole, and removing AN pieces w/o damaging surrounding tissue or nerves. Larger tumors have been resected using smaller skull, burr holes. This appears to be HEIs first incursion into a type of endoscopy.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:10:59 pm »
I'm sure Dyson will improve on it with the "new roll around ball."

ksiwek

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:20:01 pm »
The company was actually at the ANA symposium with a demo....wanted to stop and try it (I am in medical device sales and get excited about seeing how these things work) but the booth was busy with surgeons when I walked by....

Sounds great though...who wouldn't want a smaller hole in their head?!?  But really the minimized potential for surrounding tissue and nerves is great news!

I will ask Dr Friedman about it the next time I get a chance...
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)