Author Topic: Excision and decompression surgery with Dr. Ducic at Georgetown  (Read 22172 times)

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
Re: Excision and decompression surgery with Dr. Ducic at Georgetown
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 08:33:11 pm »
;D   No, no more headaches during the night.   I am starting a new chapter in my life.

After cutting the nerves, he implanted them into the muscle to prevent this.  That's what he said and I have to trust at this point that he is good to his word.   If they grow back, he'll be hearing from me.

Keep me informed as to how things go with you.
Mei Mei

SUCH AWESOME News!!!!!!

Just not waking up with the pain like you had been so bad is a huge relief in its own!   I understand about the nerves now, so hopefully they won't grow back.   If I get to that point, I will be calling or messaging you for sure  ;)

As for me I went for a 2nd round of injections for occipital and cervical facets and trigger point injections today.  Love the place I am with because they hardly hurt at all.   Will see how they do and how long they last this time.    My insurance also approve botox for my migraines, head & neck pain, but the dr. wanted to try this again 1st to see if it lasts any longer than last time.   

Have a peaceful night!!
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Mei Mei

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 09:43:23 pm »
Make sure they don't inject through your Titanium mesh like they did to me at Cleveland Clinic.   You could die if they don't have staff around to put you on life support.  This is serious business.

Hugs to you.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 09:52:17 pm »
For sure Mei Mei!!  Although mine was Middle Fossa on the left side and all my pain and injections are on my right side  ;)

My doctor today did tell a story where another resident had an issue once on an occiptal injection because the person had a skull base tumor and piece of the skull removed & left out in that area.  Like you...it went straight to the brain.   He told me this because we were discussing my issue of the Arnold Chiari Malformation and said if I ever got that surgery to BE SURE it would be noted if ever got injections after that because they remove a little of the base of the skull for that!   ( I have NO intention on getting that surgery unless nothing else helps or the pain & stuff get way way worse)

Hugs to you too....still got my number?  Call sometime if you want to chat.   ;D
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 01:00:09 pm »
Mei Mei ~

Wow!  I appreciate you taking the time to walk us through all of your medical tribulations with stubborn, arrogant, ill-informed doctors that gave you poor advice and ultimately caused you suffering and in one horrific case, almost caused your death.  A very explicit cautionary tale based on your real-life experiences that we should all consider for future reference.  You make the salient point that one must be pro-active in our search for relief from pain and auxiliary problems stemming from AN surgery. Never allow ourselves to be 'rushed' into a procedure and do not accept any physicians advice when it doesn't make sense or just seems counter-intuitive.  Ask questions and take notes.  Do not be intimidated by white lab coats, titles and diplomas on the wall.  We can and should respect doctors for their education, training and experience but we do not need to obey them without question when a procedure seems wrong or a treatment proves to be ineffective.   Doctors are human beings and quite fallible.  The best ones know this and are humble, endearing themselves to their patients.  I was blessed to find a neurosurgeon like this.  My doctor and I had never discussed religion or spiritual matters but when I gushed my thanks to him for my wildly successful (zero complications) AN surgery, he waved it away and said that he gave God the credit, adding "I just held the scalpel" That is humility.  This neurosurgeon was my age (late 60's) with 35 years experience and a sterling reputation.  On the flip side of this coin are the the doctors who will never even consider their fallibility and will deny any mistakes or, worse yet, blame the patient, often acting incredulous when a treatment is ineffective, attempting to convince the patient that they are the problem, not the treatment.  This is unfortunate but again, we're dealing with fallible human beings and not gods, no matter if a few doctors seem to believe they're the latter.    Your experiences, while daunting, are informative and I thank you for sharing them, Mei Mei.  I also want to commend you for your fortitude in finding relief through more competent physicians.   I trust that your future will be relatively pain-free as you've certainly 'paid your dues'. 

Jim   
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mei Mei

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 06:26:11 pm »
Dear Friends,
I just took off three or four entries that I felt didn't represent my situation well.   I wrote them in frustration for all the mistakes I have encountered in medicine and find myself searching to repair the mistakes affecting my life ever since 1988.   Once a mistake is made, it is a hard road back.   >:(

It is my wish that the surgeons involved in your care recognize a problem and face it with calm and maturity to help you maintain your status quo.   I have yet to have found that in the two major surgeries of my life but instead had to pursue fixes on my own.   Post surgical care is not what it should be in medicine.   It's a long road to get to the light at the end of the post surgical tunnel.    Thank goodness for the Forum and the wealth of information we have here to share.   How else would I have found Dr. Ducic    :)
Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh