Author Topic: 2 1/2 years after ck HAD headaches dizziness, etc  (Read 1924 times)

carter

2 1/2 years after ck HAD headaches dizziness, etc
« on: August 15, 2011, 11:10:36 am »
I am now at 2 1/2 years past Ck ....  for the past 1 1/2 years or so I have had headaches, dizziness, a light headiness, etc.  fatigue as i would almost fall asleep after lunch ...

2 weeks ago, I went to the primary care doctor for the annual follow up on the blood pressure meds and wellness check up.

He listened about the AN issues ....  signed new script of pain pills and walked out the door.  He stuck his head back in and asked about my blood sugar.  He asked of family history and decided to check my sugar levels.  A finger prick and a test strip showed it to be 200.

2 weeks of 2 pills a day and change of diet (no white flour, no sugar, no cokes, no potatoes) --- I have lost weight and feel a lot better.   A LOT better. 

Some head aches - a lot fewer.

Dizziness  - much reduced.

fatigue - a Sunday nap is good but none of the wanting to nod off at work ....

in Reading the literature given to me - head aches, dizziness, etc are part of the symptoms .... for diabetes.

the doctor warned me this AM of a honeymoon affect ... the good may not last - but he can adjust meds as necessary.

thank goodness that he stopped and came back in the room to ask about diabetes .... 

for the presnet, I am in a new world ....

food for thought!

carter
Diagnosed in fall of 2008 with 1.6 * 2.9cm AN on left side. 

Scheduled CK at Oklahoma Cyber Knife in December, 2008 and decided not to proceede on 2nd date that CK was scheduled.  I fired them.

CK performed at St John's Hospital (Tulsa)Jan 2009

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: 2 1/2 years after ck HAD headaches dizziness, etc
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:37:14 pm »
Carter:

Great news that you feel better.

Diabetes runs in my family. For that reason, I thought my dizziness was a symptom of high blood sugar or even high blood pressure, which often accompanies diabetes. I think I lucked out with an AN. I don't have high blood pressure & or high blood sugar.

Diabetes is a horrible disease. Though type II can be controlled with exercise, diet & meds, as you have seen, it kills you slowly if neglected. I've seen too many family members let the disease take over their lives.

I'm glad that you are taking charge of the disease by taking better care of yourself. 

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: 2 1/2 years after ck HAD headaches dizziness, etc
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »
Carter ~

I'm sorry to learn that you developed diabetes but glad that your doctor caught it and it can be addressed successful.  It's great that you're feeling so much better (and lighter) and I hope that you can continue to improve or at least, receive new medication that will continue to help the condition.  Thanks for posting this experience as it may be of some help to other AN patients attributing similar symptoms to their AN, surgery or radiation treatment when, in fact, it's diabetes.  Enjoy your 'new world'!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.