Author Topic: Damn, regrowth after 3 years  (Read 12576 times)

tweety

Re: Damn, regrowth after 3 years
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 03:43:16 am »
Steve, So sorry to have of the regrowth. I will keep you in my prayers and know that Dr. Chen is a very competent and wonderful sugeon.  He will not guide you wrong.  Was the regrowth large?  Just wandering.  I just had my year check up and he said no MRI for 5 years makes me a little nervous but I am good accept for my hearing loss.  Tweety (Nancy)

stevek

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 05:36:27 pm »
Good news.  We used radiation to zap the 2cm regrowth last Wednesday in Pittsburgh.  One day outpatient single treatment.  After conversations with my Dr.'s we decided to just get it over with instead of put it off.  The worst part was having a metal cage drilled into my skull and wearing it for 7 hours.  Hoping this killed the bastard.  Follow up MRI in December.  Thanks for all the love and support.
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 05:43:50 pm »
Steve ......

Glad to know you had treatment last week.  Hopefully this will, indeed, kill it once and for all!

Prayers for success of the treatment and good health from here on ......

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »
Steve ~

Thanks for the update.  I truly hope the radiation does the job and the AN finally 'dies'. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

kenneth_k

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 01:16:15 am »
Hi Steve.

I hope this does the trick and you enjoy your new job.

Best regards, Kenneth

CSF leak Mary

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 11:30:07 am »
I did some research year ago before having my an removed about radiation, there was a study done on primates that found 10-15 years after the initial radiation they developed malignant brain tumors. I went the regular surgery route, and still dealing with csf leak since 2007.  Wish I could share better results.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 12:16:42 pm »
There is only one substantiated report I am aware of concerning a radiation patient developing a malignant tumor at the site of their treated AN, and statistically speaking, it could very well have been totally circumstantial, as it was one case among many thousands. In fact, exhaustive research has demonstrated that the risk of radiation patients developing cancer is no more than that posed to the general population.

We can debate how much radiation was applied and in what manner to the primates in the study "CSF leak Mary" referred to, but it wouldn't change the fact that, with over 40 years of radiation treatments now behind us in the U.S. alone, there is no substantiated link between radiation treatments and cancer. Even four decades after treatment. If people were developing brain cancer in 10 to 15 years time, doctors would know about it and be seeking their patients' informed consent. This is clearly not the case.

TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 06:38:20 pm »
As a Gamma Knife patient, I thank you, tumbleweed....
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Chris P

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:00 am »
Stevek,

I am so sorry to hear about your regrowth.  What was your original treatment when you first found out you had an A N ?  I had the gamma knife radiation last June and I go for my follow up MRI this coming August.  It is always a concern that things are not going well but we always hope for the best. 

The one thing I have experienced is facial weakness 4 months after my treatment.  It has been 8 months now and it has gotten much better but still some lack of control of the right side of my face.  I'd say I am about 70% improved and hoping it will continue to get better, but only 1 % of the people get what I got . 

I hope you have success with what ever you choose to do, we are all wishing you well.

Chris Paulsen
Small AN 14mm , right side , Gamma Knife Radiation 6/22/10 Gainsville, Florida.
Balance issues, hearing loss and facial weakness appeared four months post op.

JAndrews

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 07:43:39 pm »
I think you should get another opinion on how to treat your tumor. I would call House in LA. They are the experts. Never listen to one doctor..or even two..they don't know everything
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

Chris P

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 10:03:51 pm »
Good news.  We used radiation to zap the 2cm regrowth last Wednesday in Pittsburgh.  One day outpatient single treatment.  After conversations with my Dr.'s we decided to just get it over with instead of put it off.  The worst part was having a metal cage drilled into my skull and wearing it for 7 hours.  Hoping this killed the bastard.  Follow up MRI in December.  Thanks for all the love and support.

So Happy for you, as I said in my last post to you I had the Gamma Knife and having only one time to take care of it is the best.  Good luck on you follow up in December. I have mine in August. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Chris P
Small AN 14mm , right side , Gamma Knife Radiation 6/22/10 Gainsville, Florida.
Balance issues, hearing loss and facial weakness appeared four months post op.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 03:03:25 am »
Crossing my fingers for you that the suckers DEAD!
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

stevek

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2011, 11:10:21 pm »
Wow great conversations by all on this thread.  Much appreciated.  I hope everyone is feeling well. 
Diagnosed 5/14/08   4cmx2.8cmx3.1cm
16 hr. Translab 6/9/08
Spinal Fluid Leak 6/12, under control & released 6/16
Dr. Hillman, Dr.Chen, & Dr. Aziz @ Allegheny General in Pitt.
2cm regrowth treated with Stereotactic Radiosurgery & released 6/8/11
Dr. Fuhrer, Dr. Chen, & Dr. Hillman @ AGH