Author Topic: Dr. Konziolka UPMC and Dr. Link Mayo  (Read 5237 times)

kpygman

Dr. Konziolka UPMC and Dr. Link Mayo
« on: May 03, 2011, 08:37:41 pm »
Hi Everyone,

First, thanks for taking the time to read this and for continuing to support everyone going through similar situations as yourself.
Secondly, I am in the process of determining where to seek radiation treatment for my acoustic. If anyone has had any experience with Dr. Konziolka at UPMC, or Dr. Link at Mayo in Rochester, I would greatly appreciate your feedback and insight.

Thanks again;

Eric

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Dr. Konziolka UPMC and Dr. Link Mayo
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »
Eric -

if you search on the word "Link" you'll find some threads about Dr. Link.

Here's one of them http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=5381.0

I searched on Konziolka and didn't find any threads, but the name sounds familiar.  Are you sure you have the correct spelling?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

DanW

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 11:42:34 pm »
When I was doing research a few months ago on Cyber Knife, there are very few "centers of Excellance" I think is the term they used. As I recall Mayfield clinic in OH was listed. I think they are speaking or represented at Symposium in June.
We met with Dr. Link, but I don't like DRs that don't give stats.
We have done this for 10 years doesn't cut it. Give me your numbers.
Don't know much about Radiotherapy, its not a bad choice not the one one that fit in our case.
Good luck.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:22:54 am »
Centers of Excellence is the term - coined by the ANA for those docs/facilities that have passed a stringent set of "rules" set by the ANA when it comes to treatment.

Centers of Excellence are listed on the main page of the ANA website.  I never really looked into who does CK, but Mayfield Clinic has a stellar reputation.

There probably are a decent amount of docs/facilities who fit the Center of Excellent profile that do GK.  I know my doc and his practice are listed.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »
Hi Eric and welcome to this forum .....

I believe it is Douglas S. Kondziolka, MD you are looking for.  He is at UPMC.  He was also a presenter at the Chicago ANA Symposium.  I was very impressed with his knowledge, his professionalism, and his personality.  I have not had any treatment with him.

Best wishes on your search for treatment.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

kpygman

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 06:50:40 pm »
Thanks so much for your comments and insight. I will keep you posted as to what develops! I am still researching my options.

rupert

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:02:44 pm »

Hello,

I had GK treatment with Dr. Kondziolka at UPMC   in Feb 09.   Can't say enough good things about this facility and team.   GK at
UPMC  is considered to be the Platinum  standard.   The GK center at UPMC has done more treatment for AN's than any other facility and
you would be in very good hands.   Bryan

rupert

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:10:42 pm »

In my post I stated I had treatment in 09.  It was actually 2010.   Sorry about that.   Maybe they zapped to much.  LOL.   A little GK humor there,  I
can't help it sometimes.

JAndrews

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »
I just sent a response to blueeyes about the same Dr. Link
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

nftwoed

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:58:24 am »
Hi;
  If you search, you will see Dr. K of UPMC has a huge GK pt. study. His success record is undeniably good. Mayo Drs. 'toot their horn less', in my opinion. I think it's because the name, "Mayo", assumes quality care. Well, maybe or not... They certainly are busy!!
  Undoubtedly, Dr. K has performed GK on more pts. than Link who also performs microsurgery, and really, prefers it, I believe.