Author Topic: Lyrica and other treatments for pain  (Read 17781 times)

mason

Re: Lyrica and other treatments for pain
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 05:11:37 pm »
I'm just trying to get the hang of this forum and ask a question or two.
I've gust been switched from pain meds to Lyrica to try for a week and then report to my Dr. what I think of results, if any.  I'v had terrible headachs in the past and read from a lot of you that this is one of the symtoms reported most.  I'll also, no boubt face negitive reactions to discontinuing pain meds.

Before I type much more, I think I better see if this posts.

Thanks

linnilue

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 07:01:57 pm »
Hi Mason and welcome,  You could have posted this in AN Issues so that others would see it immediately and it would get alot more attention and it would be your own original post.  Onto your issue.  So sorry to hear of your headaches.  I am on lyrica right now for shingles pain and I have to sy, that the Lyrica has also taken away alot of other chronic pain issues that I have ahd for years..  I have had to lower my dose becasue of abdominal pain and I have been a bit more tired but that should go away once my body gets used to the medication.  I ahve to say, I love it.  I too am allergic to many, many drugs and I was very scared to try Lyrica.  My neurologist knows this but he told me that I basically had no option but to take the medication and risk the side effects (which he felt would be minimal) or I could take it and feel alot better, much quicker and I would most likely protect myself from a lifetime of post herpetic neuralgia.  So I took it and lo and behold, I'm a very happy camper.  I ahve been on it for 5 weeks and will probably be on it for at least 6 months but given the great effect it has had on my pain, I would guess maybe a lifetime.  Hope to see more of your posts on the forum as you get acquainted with us.  Good Luck, Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Raydean

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 04:31:15 pm »
My daughter also takes Lyrica for fibromyalgia.   (First FDA drug approved for this)  For my daughter it took over a week to adjust to it.  If she had based her decision on that first week, I think it would of been a no go.  It made her really tired.  But once she adjusted to it she found that it really helped with the pain.  Basically gives her back the ability to function.  It isn't a cure, nor does it take everything away, but brings it down to a level where she can function.  It's also important that you follow your prescribe dosage, and time frame. Works best for her being consistent.

Hopefully it'll work for you too.  One thing I've noticed that some doctors are doing is prescribing anti inflamatory drug along with a regular pain medication perscription .

best to you
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.