Author Topic: motion  (Read 3566 times)

phx

motion
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:21:16 pm »
Ok..I've got really bad motion sickness. I had surgery last year followed by radiation in August. Everything went fine, but now I'm to the point where I can't even function like a normal human anymore. I can't see. I walk like I"m blind. My environemnt is constantluy moving and I feel like half the time it's within me too. Anyone been through this? I've missed many days of work because I couldn't get up. I can't even drive. Please Help! I don't think the doctors have any idea what is going on. I am so clumsy, I'm losing my patience and I'm getting very frustrated.  Thanks!

Suu

• Better out than in.
Re: motion
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:45:42 am »
G'day phx
I had a few weeks post-op when all was going well and I suddenly started having dizzy spells and running into things.

I was referred to a neuro-physiotherapist (that's what we call them in Australia) and after only a few weeks I'm having a LOT less dizziness.
They have trained my brain to rely on my 'good' side as I don't have a middle ear on the AN side so therefore virtigo was always going to be a problem.
The physio called it a space and time thing that I had to relearn.  The exercises have to do with walking and moving the head from side to side, following objects with non-movement (eyes only) and movement (with turning toward object). Some are done with the eyes open and then repeated with them closed.

The exercises are for Vestibular Rehabilitation and they can be found on YouTube or your local doctor should be able to help. Here's a link to the ones I did today - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGAWAcAWxQo&feature=related

I hope this helps you in some way because I sure do know how frustrating it can be.

Regards,
Suu

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:49:33 am by suujoy »
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

nftwoed

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 02:24:05 pm »
Phx;

Dramamine worked for me. Meclizine did also, but it's long half life wiped me out. Both meds do the same, but Dramamine's half life is about 6 hrs. vs. meclizine's, which is about 24 hrs.
  One can purchase them w/o a Rx in the USA. Maybe just 1/2 pill taken at HS would help?
  We're not to play Dr. this site, so this is something you could ask about.
  Good luck with this. I think it's likely to abate in time. Seems your vestibular nerve just realized how upset it really is, but, then again, I don't know what type surgery you had.
  Understood, is the loss of frustration tolerance!
  Good luck to you, Phx!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:24:57 pm »
Are you sure this issue isn't related to the radiation?  Could it be a side-effect?

I noted that you had radiation in August and from what I was told side-effects sometimes take as long as 12-18 months to surface.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

phx

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 05:16:00 pm »
Thanks all! I had an emergency surgery where they had to put a shunt in my head. That helped a lot. Something about the pressure in my head being 44. Just had it done on Monday. I wish the doctors would have said something sooner. I saw them numerous times and they didn't say much about swelling. They said there was a little bit of swellig (reason why I was put on steriods). Thanks again!

Phx