Author Topic: MRI Question  (Read 23245 times)

clskrockdrummr

MRI Question
« on: April 04, 2011, 04:25:13 pm »
Hi Everybody,

Here's a little background on me. I'm a 51 year old male. About three weeks ago I started experiencing dizzy spells and mild facial numbness in one cheek. I have had hearing loss and tinnitus in the ear on the same side as the numbness for many years. This ear also tends to get a clogged or plugged feeling during heavy physical exertion. The initial diagnoses many years ago was the the tinnitus and hearing loss were caused by my years of exposure to loud music from amps and my drumming playing in rock & roll bands. When the dizzy spells started I went to the internet and started investigating and when I found the symptoms for an acoustical neuroma I said whoa....I made an immediate appointment to see my doctor. I described all of my symptoms and told him about what WEB-MD described as the symptoms for an AN. He said ok...lets get an MRI done (which was done last Friday). My question is shouldn't he have ordered the MRI with contrast material??

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: MRI Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 04:32:59 pm »
Hi - and welcome.

The short answer to your question is: yes.  However, although the contrast dye is helpful in imaging an acoustic neuroma, it is not absolutely necessary. The problem is when the AN is tiny - and some are at diagnosis  - making them difficult to spot on the scan.  That is why the contrast dye is recommended.  I hope you don't have an AN but we're here for support if you do - and even if you don't.  Please let us know the MRI results - whatever they are.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keeping Up

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 09:37:34 pm »
Hello ...

I was told by my ENT that contrast isn't necessary (and he has a speciality in ANs) - it may be the 'gold standard' but isn't necessary for picking up tumors.  I have a small tumor and can easily see tumor (and the inner ear mechanisms, very cool!!!!) in a MRI without a contrast.

I can't say I understand why some doctors use the contrast and others don't - however, in my case, I don't need it despite the very small tumor.

Don't fret - if you have good ENT (and maybe a newer, higher resolution MRI machine - my only conclusion for not using contrast), you are more than likely in good hands.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:22:25 am »
Hi Everybody,
 I described all of my symptoms and told him about what WEB-MD described as the symptoms for an AN. He said ok...lets get an MRI done (which was done last Friday).

Hi drummer
Have you got the results yet?  All is crossed that it's negative but if it should turn out to be an AN then please come back and let us help you through it?
Regards,
♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

clskrockdrummr

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 09:26:45 am »
Hi All,

I appreciate the warm welcome and the well wishes. I haven't gotten the results yet. I will post them as soon as I do. I'll be surprised if it's not an AN. My sister had one so it's in the family genes. Plus reading the posts on this site...It's amazing to me how similar my symptoms are to many of the ones being described by different folks here. The hearing loss, the tinnitus, the light headed and dizzy feelings, the "wonky & wobbly" feelings, the dull headaches, the mental fog, the sometimes sideways gait, being tired through the day even though I got eight or more hours of sleep the night before, the diminishing ability to concentrate, etc, etc... None of the symptoms I have are debilitating but they do have a profoundly negative effect on my quality of life. I'm hoping for the best but fearing the worst. To be honest I'll be pretty scared if it's not an AN...what else in the world could be causing all these symptoms if it's not. The internet can manage to work up a great deal of anxiety when you start searching symptoms.

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:20:42 am »
Hi! My first MRI which diognosed my AN was done without contrast. Since diognosis I`ve had them done with contrast W+W going into 4th year. Personally being W+W I think I`m going for the next one without contrast again. My tech said he could detect any chage with our without. I`m sure if it came to having treatment contrast would be a must. Wishing you the best, Mickey

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:20:55 am »
I had a stroke April 4, 2009 and had an MRI, with no contrast ...stroke damage showed up, but no sign of the AN...but we were not looking for an AN. My MRI looking for the AN was December 2009, with contrast, and it showed up. They pulled out my April MRI, and three doctors at three hospitals could not fine the AN. I had been having wonky days for about two years before the stroke, so I know that the AN had to be there. In my case, it took took the contrast. Who know what an expert is. Doctors at House could not see an AN on my stroke MRI. If you did not have contrast, and they do not find an AN, I might look for another doc.

suboo73

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 11:38:05 am »
Hi Clskrockdrummr!

My short story...I had symptoms for over 12 years and no diagnosis or MRI recommended- just ENT telling me I was 'getting older.'
(WHAT?  At 40 years old?) - Then, in 2008 my sister was diagnosed.  My symptoms were the same, except gradual hear loss, so I changed docs and asked for the MRI.  I think my husband thought i was a little 'nuts!'

THe ENT ordered with contrast - but at almost 1 cm., I bet he would have seen it anyway. (as experienced with ANs)

I didn't wait for the doctor visit - went straight to the local imaging center and got the report. 
No surprise to me, just everyone else!
But - i like information, so i was ok to learn that it IS an AN and mostly benign and slow growing.

Hope you do not have an AN.
Information is power.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

moe

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 10:00:57 am »
Hi and Welcome,
Thinking of you and will be interested to see the result of your MRI.
Your symptoms mimicked mine:

, the tinnitus, the light headed and dizzy feelings, the "wonky & wobbly" feelings, the dull headaches, the mental fog, the sometimes sideways gait, being tired through the day even though I got eight or more hours of sleep the night before, the diminishing ability to concentrate, etc...

I went on like this for way too long and it wasn't until the hearing started to diminish that I went to get a hearing test.......But then again maybe you don't have one.   This is such a sneaky little creature!
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 11:00:52 am »
Hi clskrockdrummr .....

Wondering what your MRI showed.

Ann is on to something .....
(and maybe a newer, higher resolution MRI machine -

There seems to be a significant range of clarity on MRI screenings at different facilities.  Also even slight movement caused from movement (swallowing, for example) by the patient can create unclear images.

In my case, an MRI done 14 months before my first diagnosis, without contrast, was negative for an AN.  Diagnosing MRI was with contrast and showed the 2+cm AN.  All of the doctors who looked at my MRI CDs could find no evidence of it on the MRI done without contrast.  However, my neurosurgeon was quite confident that he would have seen a shadow of it, if it had been there.  Thus, I was placed in that unusual category of having a rapidly growing AN.

Hopefully you will post the results of your MRI, to help others.

Many thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Farmgirl88

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:03:03 am »
Hi,

Thinking of you and hope you get your results soon.  My MRI was ordered without contrast, but part way through the procedure, they pulled me out and said they could see a little spot and wanted to put the dye in me to get a better look.  So, my little 7 mm one was able to be seen first without the dye.

I've only had one MRI so far.  I remember being in there and thinking "I really have to swallow and they didn't tell me anything about that!" so when they pulled me out to inject the dye, I asked them if I could swallow.  The answer was yes, but keep it minimal.

Regards,
Lori
AN diagnosed 3/2011, 7 mm x 6 mm x 4 mm, right side
Some hearing loss, have tinnitus 24/7
Watch & wait

clskrockdrummr

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 02:47:23 pm »
UPDATE - Sorry I didn't post my MRI results sooner but I wanted to wait until I saw the neurologist for the follow-up. My MRI results came back normal, no AN, no sign of stroke, no unusual masses. There was one footnote though, one "minor" thing my doc said. I have a vascular loop on the left side of my head near the nerves in my middle ear. Meanwhile the symptoms continued so my GP ordered a referral to a neurologist. Two weeks later I got my referral...I made my appointment for the following week which was rescheduled for two weeks later because the doctor was ill and...etc... Anyway...so I finally get to see the neurologist, I get an hour long exam and consultation. During the exam he kept looking into my eyes...he said they're a bit twitchy which is caused by the vascular loop rubbing against a nerve in my middle ear which could be causing all of the other symptoms. He said that he doesn't know why this is all the sudden causing issues for me, according to him I've this vascular loop all my life. He thinks the condition is probably aggravated by stress and the blood pressure meds I'm taking so...guess what...he writes me a prescription for Paxil. Just what I need...more medicine. I'm not taking the Paxil...the side effects scare me...besides that, I enjoy having a few beers on the weekend while playing my drums and you can't drink any alcohol at all with Paxil. I'm not so sure about his stress conclusion anyway. Sure my job is highly stressful but my job's been highly stressful for years. Why would stress all the sudden become a factor. I'm experimenting with my BP meds...no worries, I have a BP monitor at home and I use it. So far no real significant change...some days are better than others but the symptoms are still there. I still think they should have done an MRI with contrast.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 06:47:34 pm »
Hi again,
That's fantastic news of not having an AN but as you said - I still think they should have done an MRI with contrast. - if symptoms persist please go and get the MRI done with contrast.
If nothing else, it will ease your mind greatly.
Take care and would love to know if and when you have the next MRI?

Warmest wishes,
♥ ´)
.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•♥ ¨)
(,.•´ (.♥ •´ *Suu 
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

JAndrews

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 08:07:02 am »
my doctors all said mri must be done with contrast
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

tenai98

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 05:37:06 pm »
My secong MRI was done with no contrast and one could clearly see the tumor...but I knew what i was looking for when I saw the image....I'd ask for another MRI with contrast and dont give in until you get it!! Just my opinion
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7