Author Topic: 29 year old female diagnosed with 5cm AN on left side Surgery on 4/5/11  (Read 7368 times)

kraynok2

Re: 29 year old female diagnosed with 5cm AN on left side Surgery on 4/5/11
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 07:57:51 pm »
Micca,
   Welcome to our group.  I'm sorry for the reason you are with us, but we are here for you.  Your kids will love you, no matter what.  I will be praying for a successful operation on April 5.  Let us know how it went when you join us as a postie.
Sandy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 06:39:45 am »
Micca -

did your surgeons mention debulking your AN?  Because of it's size, it's a good idea to only take part of the tumor (debulk it) and radiate the rest.

If they haven't talked about this yet, you might want to raise the question.  Debulking is becoming more common with large ANs (5 cms falls into that category) and it helps minimize the risk of facial nerve damage.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kareno

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 08:14:16 am »
You will be in our thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery!!  Take it slow and have patience with the recovery process!!

Karen
Caregiver:  Husband 3.0cm diagnosed 1/10, Retrosigmoid Surgery 4/10 Tufts Medical CTR Boston, Dr. Carl Heilman-Exceptional Surgeon

Tumbleweed

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 09:08:35 pm »
Micca, I too suggest you ask your doctors about debulking the tumor and irradiating the remaining portion. It would probably give you a higher chance of preserving the function of the facial nerve. Your doctors will know if this is feasible or advisable. They might make a decision once they're inside and have a good view of the tumor's orientation. But the important thing at this point is for you to let them know what your priorities are. Typically the doctors will have the following priorities for AN treatment (in this order):
1. Stop the tumor from growing (either by complete removal or a combination of de-bulking and radiation),
2. Preservation of the facial nerve function,
3. Preserving balance function as much as possible, and
4. Preserving hearing.

The relative importance of goals #3 and #4 are sometimes switched according to the patient's needs. For example, a sedentary musician would place greater importance on hearing preservation than keeping good balance.

But even though preserving facial-nerve function is very high on a neurosurgeon's list of priorities, it doesn't hurt for you to voice your concern and wishes. It may indeed affect some of the decisions they make during surgery.

I also want to echo what others have said: your kids will love you no matter what you look like. They certainly don't love you for your looks. You will be the same person on the inside, the one they have always loved and will always love. Nothing so superficial as looks can ever mute the love a child has for their mother.

We are all wishing for the best outcome for your surgery.

TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

suboo73

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 04:06:52 am »
Micca,

I am sorry i did not see this thread soon...but regardless, i will start with some major prayers for you today, hoping that if you are now on your way to surgery, all will go well.

When i first came to the Forum, there was a wonderful young lady named Kimberly, about your age and she had treatment with Dr. Tamargo. 
Although her tumor was smaller, she had a good outcome.  [Her name on the Forum is Zinger1905].
Anyway - i too met Dr. Tamargo for my own AN situation.  I thought he was formal and knowledgeable. 
I have always said (for me) that bedside manner is secondary - as long as the surgeon is skilled. (this come from seeing my daughter through 2 major surgeries....)

I know you have had a lot to absorb in a very short period of time - my thoughts for you now are that your surgery goes very well and you are able to enjoy the wonderful family you describe! 
For me, that's what it is all about - family and friends.  As you have already discovered, we are here for you as well!

If you are hubby is able, please have him send an update.

Prayers all around on this day.

Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

moe

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 08:42:12 am »
Today is the surgery day. Praying for a positive and successful outcome :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 08:04:13 pm »
good luck from down under

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 08:05:37 pm »
Just checking in again to see if there's been an update - been thinking about you today...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!