Author Topic: Facial paralysis post AN surgery  (Read 7793 times)

jillian

Facial paralysis post AN surgery
« on: July 18, 2005, 03:25:04 pm »
If you had facial  paralysis, post AN surgery, has anyone tried plastic surgery? If so what kind? What results?

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Facial paralysis post AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 02:12:25 am »
Jillian: I have had many plastic surgeries to "fix" my face after removal of an. I had a 7-12 nerve annastomosis, a fascia sling, nerve grafting and muscle transfer as well as facial physio. Speak to your surgeon and get referred to a plastic sergeon. Here in Canada this was all covered by O.H.I.P. but in the U.S. you may find you have a great cost involved. Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Angela

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 04:35:21 pm »
Surgeons are telling me to get "reinnervation" to graft my tongue to my non-working facial nerve. 
95% success rate but for only 50% funtionality (blink and polite smile).  That ain't happenin'!
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

DeniseSmith

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 08:13:33 am »
I am having the surgery done in August.  After living with full left sided facial paralysis for a year, then finding out my face is not going to regenerate on its own.  I have decided to have the surgery.  I don't like the way I look and I think it will help my self-esteem that has been missing since I looked in the mirror the first time after surgery.

Denise

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:28:21 am »
Hey Denise--that's great! Sounds like you are the next one in line we get to shower with affection and gifts! Bravo, girl!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

DeniseSmith

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 01:57:02 pm »
Thanks, Deb ;D ;D ;D ;D

Raydean

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 04:46:31 pm »
We wish you all things good and wonderful.  Please let us know the date of surgery so we can all keep you in our thoughts that day!!!
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Julie Reynolds

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 11:36:21 am »
Jillian: I have had many plastic surgeries to "fix" my face after removal of an. I had a 7-12 nerve annastomosis, a fascia sling, nerve grafting and muscle transfer as well as facial physio. Speak to your surgeon and get referred to a plastic sergeon. Here in Canada this was all covered by O.H.I.P. but in the U.S. you may find you have a great cost involved. Kathleen

Julie Reynolds

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 11:47:21 am »

Kathleen,

I am over 4 years post op with left sided paralysis.  I now have a smile, but still have poor tone, and need certain muscles to respond.  I believe that plastic surgery can help me.  I just don't know where to begin or who to go to.  My insurance will not pay= it will be out of pocket.  I don't know what a fascia sling is or facial physio.  Not sure if nerve grafting or muscle transferr will help either.  Even though I am partailly normal, I still need improvement.  Any idea who to go to and what to ask them.  The right Dr. is imperetive.  I
m willing to travel.  Do you or any one else know where I should turn.  I do know that I would not benefit fron the 7-12 since  I'm smiling already, and still improving slowly after all these years.

Thanks for any advice.

Julie Reynolds

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 02:44:18 am »
Julie: Where do you live?
        I found the guy who did my surgery from another plastic surgeon I referred myself to for help. I work in a hospital so I went to see a plastic's guy I had worked with and he referred me to the guy who did my surgeries. I would start with you family doctor for referrals and go from there.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)