Author Topic: Does hearing ever improve?  (Read 2430 times)

arcteryx

Does hearing ever improve?
« on: June 16, 2006, 11:11:38 pm »
I had perfect pre-surgery hearing and am completely deaf in the AN ear now. The surgeons said they left the nerve intact and had a positive ABR during the entire procedure, but still no luck.

Did anybody ever lose hearing during surgery only to regain some at a later time?

Thanks!

Battyp

Re: Does hearing ever improve?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 12:39:48 am »
I had very limited hearing going into surgery and did regain a very small amount.  I'm unsure how much due to the night it happened I had just gone for my post surgical hearing test and was told I had no hearing.  It's not enough hearing to use the phone or hear someone talking to me on that side but it's enough that I dont' have the wonky headed feeling I had for the seven or so months after surgery.  Wish I had better news for you!

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 12:43:37 am »
I had very limited hearing going into surgery and did regain a very small amount.  I'm unsure how much due to the night it happened I had just gone for my post surgical hearing test and was told I had no hearing.  It's not enough hearing to use the phone or hear someone talking to me on that side but it's enough that I dont' have the wonky headed feeling I had for the seven or so months after surgery.  Wish I had better news for you!

arcteryx

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 08:57:27 pm »
Still, I think that's really great news for you.  If I understand correctly, this means you could possibly use a regular or implantable hearing aid if you ever wanted to.  From my research, they're making amazing progress on producing super small hearing aids (and even undetectable for the implantable ones).