Author Topic: BAHA APPROVED!  (Read 5982 times)

Lynn Mc

BAHA APPROVED!
« on: February 23, 2011, 07:18:43 am »
Hi All,
I just got the approval from the insurance for a BAHA.  Little apprehensive about doing this as I am not really sure I want anyone messing with my head.  I have read a lot of posts about the BAHA and have been able to answere most of my questions.  One that I am not really sure on is will I be able to wear my riding (horse) helmet with the abutment??  My helmet fits really snug & sits lower than a bike helmet. 
Well I am going to suck it up & call the Dr. later today!
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

keithk

• Cochlear Awareness Volunteer (Chapter Leader)
    • Retrosigmoid Surgery
Re: BAHA APPROVED!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 11:39:17 am »
Congratulations and welcome to the BAHA club. I had my surgery in November and was turned on 3 weeks ago. I am not able to wear a hat while I have the BAHA in place, I am not real happy about that but can live with it, Afterall it is better then SSD.
AN surgery 8/19/10, 9.5 hrs
8mm x 5mm left side
Retrosigmoid, Drs Reichert & Harvey
Severe hearing loss in the left ear before surgery. SSD after surgery. Balance issues. Tinnitus (mild). Buzzing in left ear.
BAHA implant surgery 11/17/10
BAHA activation 2/1/11

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 02:36:15 pm »
Congrats!  I would ask your surgeon if you can bring your hat to surgery so he can mark the spot for the abutment.    ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:05:52 am »
You can wear a helmet with the implant, but not with the  BAHA attached. The interior flesh around the screw will be stripped away during the surgery, and the exposed abutment is actually lower than the remaining flesh. If your helmet is really tight, the padding will probably rest on the abutment, but it will not wear the padding and the abutment is titanium and you cannot damage it...no problem! The BAHA snaps into the abutment, projects about half an inch above your scalp,  and you cannot wear a helmet with it in place. I like to wear ball caps, so I take the BAHA off. I can wear a loose fitting hat over the BAHA, but it causes feed back, so I just take off my bionic ear and put it in my pocket. If I am doing yard work, I always take it off...it gets knocked off all the time by low hanging limbs, and I really don't want to run my lawn mower over it.

I am really happy that you are doing well enough to ride a horse. Did you get to keep your vestibular hooked up? For all of you new people to the AN scene, here is another person with a great out come. Most of us have very normal lives. It just takes some time...so just hang in there.

By the way, the implant screw cannot be placed to fit around your helmet. Cochlear limits the placement of the screw because of the thickness of your skull, and where the external placement of the BAHA needs to be...it is in the instructions to the surgeon...and it is right where your helmet fits!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:39:04 am »
Lynn -  congratuations on your approval  ;D  I've loved the BAHA since the day I tried the demo and that love affair has continued for almost 3 years now. 

By the way, the implant screw cannot be placed to fit around your helmet. Cochlear limits the placement of the screw because of the thickness of your skull, and where the external placement of the BAHA needs to be...it is in the instructions to the surgeon...and it is right where your helmet fits!

I think what Ken was trying to say is that your surgeon can sometimes place your abutment to accomodate a baseball hat.  Lots of patients bring their favorite one to their pre-surgical consult and if possible, their surgeon can place their abutment accordingly.  If that's not a possibility, some people just cut a hole in their baseball hat to accomodate their processor, or like James, they just don't wear their hat and processor at the same time.

The only limits on the placement are the thickness of your skull - and while this means that most times it's placed slightly behind and above your ear, it can also mean that it's placed on another part of the skull if the thickness there isn't enough to hold the screw in place permanently.  Some people have their abutment in a unique place - like my partner in crime, Lori  ;D

Wearing a helmet - horseback riding or bicycle - with your processor on would not work.  You would not get a proper fit.  Cochlear has given some thought to this problem and has actually contemplated designing helmets to be worn with BAHA processors, but that's not something that's currently in the works; it's just an idea at this stage.

Maybe that's a concept that Lori and I should work on - we might make our first million!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 03:44:29 pm »
Hmmm....helmets with a "BAHA Notch".....  I can just see the profits rolling in now!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:17:40 am »
Thanks Everyone,

Bit the bullet quite by accident.  Went on vacation with plans to call the Dr today with my decision (I was definitely a little apprehensive).  Came home & am scheduled for April 8th.  Guess they figured I would agree.  Now that it is set I am actually a little excited.

James, I rode all last summer.  Just trail rides, covered lots of miles.  Could walk, jog, canter with no problems.  Just had to watch where I was going.  No vestibular on the right.  My horse is really awesome!  In the beginning she had to duck under me a couple of times when I lost my bearings a little.  No all is well  Can't wait till spring & I can get back at it!  Life is to short not to do what you love!  I also run agility with my dogs.  That can sometimes put me on the ground but that is life!

Looking forward to the 8th!!!

Lynn & my furry four legged crew!
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:58:44 pm »
You are making my day! Get after it girl! Life goes on!!!!! That little BAHA is an expensive device, and if you get it knocked off while ridding, you will never forgive yourself. Just leave it at home when you ride. You are another great example of an AN club member not letting it get in your way. Live life to it's fullest!

Lynn Mc

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:17:57 am »
I think I was more concerned that my helmet would not fit over the abutment.  Definitely need my helmet!  At my young age (ha ha) I have every intention of pushing the limits!!!!!  Life Is Good!
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 12:36:36 pm »
Hey Lynn!! Welcome to the BAHA Club!! I just joined it myself.  You'll find the whole process a LOT easier than the AN surgery, fo sure!  Good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Lynn Mc

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 05:23:46 am »
Thanks Jay.  I am a little nervous about anyone messing with my head again!!!
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Lynn Mc

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 05:26:31 am »
My pre-op is scheduled for Monday. The 8th will be here really quick!  Still a little apprehensive.... BAHA here I come!
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"