Author Topic: Duke University  (Read 22691 times)

Angel-1

Re: Duke University
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 08:30:19 pm »
Dallas,

Dr. Friedman that did my surgery, is the surgeon who did Ted Kennedy's brain surgery.  They have a wall of pictures of famous people that were treated at Duke.  This did make me feel better about my choice.

Angela
Tanslab on 7/8/2010
Total tumor removal
SSD, facial weakness (but facial nerve still intact),
balance issues getting better
Duke University, Dr. David Kaylie, Dr. Allan Friedman & Dr. Fukushima

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 04:06:59 am »
Hi Dallas and welcome.

1.  Lori, if there is a new Proton Radiation Center at Duke, do you have add'l info? This would be (I believe) the 4th in the USA (other than MGH, Loma Linda and Houston) to obtain one. 

2.  Ted Kennedy's immediate surgical outcome from Dr. Allan Friedman at Duke Univ can be further read here:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4980749&page=1

Dallas, I know that you will find terrific strength in numbers (as you are already witnessing) as well as terrific info here.  Please take your time in absorbing all the info and know we are cheering you on.

Best wishes.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 04:33:30 am »
Phyl,

I believe the new proton beam treatment center they are referring to is at Hampton University http://www.hamptonproton.org/ in Hampton, Virginia.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

lori67

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 06:02:17 am »
Yes, that's the one.  Not at Duke in NC, but Hampton University in VA.

Tod, I go to VCU for my follow-ups now.  Love it there!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tod

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 07:21:37 am »
Lori, if you don't mind me asking, who are you seeing at VCU?

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

Dallas

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 01:02:52 pm »
Hello, Tod and Phyl…

Thanks for the friendly greetings! :) It’s reassuring to be surrounded by caring individuals, particularly when everyone understands what a new patient is going through. Yes, your strength of spirit is motivating and the information I’ve gathered is very useful.

Tod, like your son, my stomping ground is the Moonshine Capitol of the world (Franklin County). I live in Boones Mill, a town so small that if you sneeze, you’ll drive right by it. ;p But for a country bumpkin like me, it’s the perfect blend of quaint charm and natural beauty. Speaking of, Ferrum is a beautiful campus and I often drive through and hit Shooting Creek road on my way to Floyd, then connect to the Parkway for a stop at Mayberry Mill. You’re right. I won’t casually dismiss what Virginia has to offer. As I mentioned earlier, I’ve already been to UVA for a consultation about Gamma Knife and, in the near future, Hampton University to learn about Proton Therapy. I appreciate the information about VCU. It certainly sounds like you and Lori are pleased, so I’ll definitely look into it.  

Thanks, Phyl for giving Angela the web address about Ted Kennedy’s treatment at Duke because, honestly, I didn’t know. A nurse told me and that’s the extent of it. Angela, I missed the wall of celebrities. Where is it?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:54:21 pm by Dallas »

lori67

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 01:34:45 pm »
I see Dr. Daniel Coelho at VCU.  Dr. Kaylie, who did my surgery at Vanderbilt and is now at Duke, actually did a residency at VCU with him.  Did you follow that?  I think I've confused myself!   ::)  I actually didn't know they knew each other when I first went to see Dr. Coelho, he was just the most qualified neurotologist I could find in my search that wasn't 4 hours away.  When he walked into my first appointment he said "I know your surgeon!" and he had nothing but good things to say about him, so that made me feel good.

They are very much alike, personality-wise too.  Very outgoing and friendly and they don't forget all about you the second you walk out the door.  Everyone at VCU has been great about scheduling all my appointments (I also see a neurologist for my facial issues and a geneticist) so I can do as much as possible in one trip, since it is a long drive.

If you're going to go to Hampton to check it out, let me know.  Maybe we can meet for coffee or something!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tod

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 02:13:00 pm »
Dallas: Yep, Moonshine Capitol of the world. Three-quarters of million gallons produced annually. And sold to college students and others across the state for up to $25/quart. I love the area around Ferrum, I keep hoping my son will want to stay in that area to teach, but he is insistent on coming back to Chesterfield.

While most everyone that has a successful surgery has wonderful things to say about their docs, and I don't ever want to take anything away from that, I simply can't say enough about the team at VCU that worked for 32 hours inside my head. They simply weren't going to quit until they felt they had done everything they could for me.

Similar to Lori's experience on scheduling, my MRI's are scheduled with the neurosugeon consult just about an hour later. Enough time laps for any scheduling mishaps for the MRI and time for the doc to read the results. My docs have also been very responsive via email as well.

Lori: Dr. Coelho is my neurotologist as well. He was one one of my surgeons and spelled Dr. Broaddus (neurosurgeon) during the very few he breaks that he took that very long weekend. Coelho also did my Baha.  They make an excellent team, and as I have said many times, I receive excellent ongoing follow-up care from them.

The president of Hampton University spent a fair amount of time last summer bragging about the proton beam center during the meeting of the Governor's Higher Ed Reform Commission that was hosted at Hampton. (I was about 6 months post-surgery and that meeting wore me out!)

-Tod

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 03:00:05 pm »
Thanks Tod and Lori. Good to know... that is the 4th of awareness.  Will be interesting to see what data they come up.  VERY limited data/studies noting efficacy of Proton on AN's (specific to AN's).  There are AN'ers here that I am following (and have met in person) that were treated via Proton at MGH.... so this is helpful.

Dallas, just watch out for Lori. Her halo tends to shift from time to time ;)

Again, welcome.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 04:36:45 pm »
Phyl...

I don't know what you're talking about!   >:D

Lori

Dallas

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 12:52:12 pm »
WoW, Tod…

I should have went into bootleggin’! (Cha-ching!) ;p Hmm, if it’s that many gallons, how come I never see any of it?  (Uh-hmm, if I did, I wouldn’t swig‘n‘tell. ;p) At one time, I believe, the Blue Ridge Institute (a division of the college) had a moonshine exhibit, complete with steel and jugs. (No samples, I‘m sure.) I never had the chance to see it, but from what I heard, it was very educating, especially in regards to this particular county. Umm, my Mom is from West Virginia, so she might think they produce just as much. ;p

Lori, I’d love to. Depending on my schedule, I'll probably be coming through closer to the Fall.  

Phyl, uh, I’m reluctant to admit it, but mine is a little tarnished. ;p  But nothing some spit polish won‘t shine right up. ~A~

Now I see why this board is therapeutic. As they say, "Laughter is the best medicine", and I'd much rather live my life through love and laughs because it makes it easier to smile during the trying times.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:55:42 pm by Dallas »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 11:16:11 pm »
Phyl...

Lori

Me either.  I'm confused  ???

Sorry for the hijack, Phyl  ;D

Jan  >:D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 03:57:46 am »
Oh, Jan.... do you have anything to contribute re: Duke Univ?  ???  I'm watching... and let's stay on topic, folks...... Phyl

Phyl...

Lori

Me either.  I'm confused  ???

Sorry for the hijack, Phyl  ;D

Jan  >:D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2011, 07:59:13 am »
Why yes, Phyl.  Funny you should ask.

Regarding Duke University, I've heard only positive things.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2011, 08:37:47 am »
And they say my halo slips......

Jan, I think yours fell off completely and slid under the couch!   :-*

Lori