Author Topic: surgery set on Dec. 7th Very Anxious  (Read 6919 times)

djmassey

• "'Happiness is a warm puppy' ~ Charles Schultz
surgery set on Dec. 7th Very Anxious
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:08:23 am »
Hi I am new to this forum.  I found out late October I have a 11mm acoustic neuroma.  I live in Texas and am flying to House Ear Clinic for surgery in December.  I do not have anyone to accompany me but my 16 year old son.  I am getting more anxious the closer it gets.  We are staying at Seaton Hall and my surgery will be at Saint Vincents Hospital.
Dr Friedman will be my doctor and Dr.   Schwartz - I guess my surgeon?  I haven't really spoken to Dr. Schwartz and just Dr. Friedman once.  I was referred to him and House Ear Clinic by a friend of a friend. 

After the surgery will I be able to sit up - can my son stay with me during the day?  ??? Should I chose translab over middle fossa?   :-\ I really want to keep the hearing I have but I do not want to have any facial paralysis.

Very nervous.  :-[ I have never been to a big city by myself and worried about getting around...to the hospital and back to the airport.  Is it safe to walk to the Walgreen's by the hospital for my son?  Some have said it is a bad neighborhood??

Any advice you can give would be appreciated. :)
AN diagnosis Oct 2010 - Middle Fossa Surgery Set For Dec. 7 2010

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way in which its animals are treated." 
            ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Kaybo

Re: surgery set on Dec. 7th Very Anxious
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 08:50:51 am »
DJMassey~
I did not go to House so I can't really answer any of your questions but I am from TEXAS!!  WELCOME!  I kow this is where you don't really WANT to be but you want find a better place for care and support if you have an AN!!   What part of Texas are you from?  I was in Amarillo but have recently moved to the Houston area.

I would think that you should be fine with your son with you, as long as he realizes that this is MAJOR surgery and you will need his DEDICATED care for a few days...also, you may want tot tell him ahead of time that SOMEtiMES, we get the most impatient wtih those we love the most when things are very different for us!

Feel free to ask us anything - that is why we are here!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

djmassey

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:36:30 am »
Thanks Kaybo;
That sounds like good advice.  Really worried about worrying about him while I am going through all this.  Sounds silly but I am supposed to be taking care of him.  Everything has to go okay, I keep having horrible panic attacks of the what if's happen...he will be in L. A. by himself...dealing with what if by himself...I just want to know it will be okay and I am not a terrible mom for letting him go with me as I have no one else...I asked if I could come alone and they said no.  I need to know will I have a clear head after surgery?  As long as he can be with me I will be okay but I know I will be terribly worried if he is not allowed to be with me.

I have some concerns about what I have read in some posts...

My AN is on my left side...does that mean I will not be able to sleep on my left side after surgery.  I cannot sleep on my right side...

I have to stay in L.A. for 10-12 days after sugery to make sure I do not develop a CSF leak.  Will I have bandages  on my head when I fly home?  Do I need to bring scarves to cover my head for the flight?  What if I develop a CSF leak after I get home, who do I go to?  Do I have to go back to L. A.?  I can barely afford going this time...I know a lot of people go to House Ear Clinc for the surgery, what do they do?

Will I have troubel bending over?  I have read about some people having a great deal of pressure bending over, does this last forever?  Are you in danger of bursting something and causing a leak if you do? 

Do they have to remove your balance nerve?  Can't they just leave that in there?  I have heard I will not be able to ride roller coasters after the surgery?  Is that accurate?

I apologize for all the questions and the freaking out...I just have not had anyone to talk to about this stuff.

I live in Benbrook, a suburb of Fort Worth. dj :)

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way in which its animals are treated." 
            ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 10:59:03 am »
After the surgery will I be able to sit up - can my son stay with me during the day?  ??? Should I chose translab over middle fossa?   :-\ I really want to keep the hearing I have but I do not want to have any facial paralysis.

Is it safe to walk to the Walgreen's by the hospital for my son?  Some have said it is a bad neighborhood??

Looks to me you have done your homework already. I was able to sit up a small amount the day after surgery. But everyone is not the same. Also the beds can lift you up. I really was in no mood to see anyone. And needed my sleep. Your son can maybe watch TV while you sleep. My families perfume and aftershave made me sick when I woke up from surgery. Might want to tell your son not to use any kind of sent products after he baths.

Translab vs Middle fossa. Since you know the risk. Its going to be up to you and your doctor to figure that one out.

16 year old is going to get very bored. I think a nice walk will be good for him. haha. But anyway, I worked insurance claims in south central LA in 1994. The same place were the riots took place in broad daylight and whites were attacked. I felt fine during the daylight. When the sun went down. I got nervous. Call HEI and ask them what they think.

Don't forget chapstick or carmex. If you want a list of things people say they would take if they had to get surgery again. Do a search on "Chapstick" on these forums.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:01:19 am »
dj ......

Adding my welcome to this forum.  This is a scary time and it is perfectly normal to be frightened with all of the unknowns.

I did not go to HEI, nor do I live in Texas ..... some of your questions can be answered by calling HEI and talking with a patient coordinator/representative.

I do not know the policies of St. Vincent's regarding family members staying with you.  At Duke-Raleigh Hospital (NC), where I had my surgery, my husband could have stayed 24-7 with me, but we decided he did not need to because I was fine by myself during the night.  My children are older than yours, but they and my sister, were in and out of my room the entire time I was there ..... no restrictions on family being there, that I know.  I can see no reason why your son would not be allowed to be in your room during the day.  Remember though, that the first 12-24 hours, sometimes more, you will be in the ICU and family only can come in on a restricted basis, usually.

Hopefully some HEI alums will chime in here soon and give you some information on the situation there.

With the usual I AM NOT A DOCTOR .....

As for choosing translab or middle fossa:  that is something you need to discuss with Dr. Friedman.  There are many factors involved in making that decision ..... your current level of hearing, the size of your AN, the specific location of it, etc.

Yes, you will be able to sit up after surgery (perhaps not when you are in the ICU) ..... in fact, they want you up and walking as soon as you are able.  As for having a clear head after surgery ..... remember this is major surgery so the anesthesia alone will make you very groggy and not very clear headed for the first day or so.  As Kay said, prepare your son that you may not be your usual self for a few days, but it is not anything he is doing.  If you are worried about your thinking skills, most of us did not experience anything more than feeling "foggy headed" for awhile afterwards.  Again, I am not a doctor, but even doctors cannot tell you for certain that you will have no issues post-operatively.  Some of us had double vision for several days following surgery.  Some of us were very unsteady on our feet.

Re: sleeping on your surgery side.  Again, this is very individual.  I did not feel comfortable sleeping on my AN side at first, mainly because of the bulk of the bandages on that side.  I soon figured out, with extra soft pillows how to support myself to be able to turn to both sides.  Bandages staying on or coming off seems to vary from person to person, doctor to doctor.  Initially I had a large bandage over the incision with a turban style wrap to hold it on.  It was taken off in a couple of days and replaced with a smaller covering over the incision.  I had no stitches except for dissolving ones, plus surgical glue so I did not have to have stitches removed.  You may or may not have stitches to be removed (usually 7-10 days post-op).  My guess is you will not have anything but perhaps a small bandage over the incision for your trip home.  If you are comfortable wearing scarves, I would take one along just in case you decide you want it.

Yes, you most likely will be encouraged not to bend over for awhile (I cannot remember how long they said to not bend over).  Others may be different but I know I did not want to bend over for quite awhile because of the pressure feeling.  Check with Dr. Friedman's nurse on what they say about CSF leaks (which are not the usual, remember).

The way I understand it, since the AN (actually vestibular schwannoma) starts growing from the covering (Schwann cells) of the vestibular nerve, the nerve has to be removed to get rid of the tumor.  I am relatively certain there are others on this forum who have gone on roller coasters after AN surgery.  I did not like them before so it has been a non-issue for me afterwards.

Do not apologize for asking questions ..... that is what we are here for!  Keep asking away .....

Many thoughts and prayers for peace for you.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 11:28:08 am »
Thanks Kaybo;
That sounds like good advice.  Really worried about worrying about him while I am going through all this.  Sounds silly but I am supposed to be taking care of him.  Everything has to go okay, I keep having horrible panic attacks of the what if's happen...he will be in L. A. by himself...dealing with what if by himself...I just want to know it will be okay and I am not a terrible mom for letting him go with me as I have no one else...I asked if I could come alone and they said no.  I need to know will I have a clear head after surgery?  As long as he can be with me I will be okay but I know I will be terribly worried if he is not allowed to be with me.

16 year old going to LA, Woohoo. Southern CA has some of the best climate on earth. Enjoy. I don't know your son. But I think he will be bored but have fun seeing LA. If you can forget about all the traffic and people. Its really nice.

My AN is on my left side...does that mean I will not be able to sleep on my left side after surgery.  I cannot sleep on my right side.

I had this issue too. But in the hospital I was able to sleep flat on my back. Something I can't do right now. Amazing what your body will do if it has too.

I have to stay in L.A. for 10-12 days after surgery to make sure I do not develop a CSF leak.  Will I have bandages  on my head when I fly home?  Do I need to bring scarves to cover my head for the flight?  What if I develop a CSF leak after I get home, who do I go to?  Do I have to go back to L. A.?  I can barely afford going this time...I know a lot of people go to House Ear Clinc for the surgery, what do they do?

Will I have trouble bending over?  I have read about some people having a great deal of pressure bending over, does this last forever?  Are you in danger of bursting something and causing a leak if you do? 

Do they have to remove your balance nerve?  Can't they just leave that in there?  I have heard I will not be able to ride roller coasters after the surgery?  Is that accurate?

All Doctor stuff. Call HEI and ask them is what I would do.

I apologize for all the questions and the freaking out...I just have not had anyone to talk to about this stuff.

I live in Benbrook, a suburb of Fort Worth. dj :)

I know I was freaked out on a scale of 1 to 10. I was a 9. So that is very normal. And a plane trip to boot. I went to Harris. I live on west side of Fort Worth.

LA in not like NewYork with all the skyscrapes. LA Downtown looks like FW downtown. LA is just large population and spread out. With 6 lane highways. That back up for miles.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

cindyj

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 12:08:39 pm »
Hi, DJ, and welcome!  I'm one of the many Dr. Friedman/Schwartz alumn who hang out here - translab 2 years ago...yes, I'm a big fan of both docs and HEI and St. Vincent's - liked LA also :D  I'm going go send you my phone number in a PM in case you'd like to talk. 

To answer a couple of your concerns, I can tell you that your son should be able to stay with you once you're in a regular room (not in ICU, of course).  My husband stayed with me each night while I was in the hospital - he didn't really do anything, just was a comfort to have him there.  Your bandage will come off just a couple days post op, but the stiches won't be removed until your post op visit w/ Friedman - what a great day that is!  You should never really need to go back to LA - never "talked" with anyone here on the forum who went back out there post op.  You will have a one year follow up MRI and simply send the disc to Dr. Friedman to review, then that's it until your 5 year anniversary (typically, that is).

Regarding Translab or Middle Fossa, that is something only you and Dr. Friedman can decide.  I had virtually no hearing loss, but did choose Translab as I just had a feeling my facial nerve was going to be very tricky - it was and we were very glad we chose that method.  But, everyone is different...yes, you'll hear that repeated over and over while you're with us here on the forum!  Yes, your balance nerve is sacrificed in either surgery...

Got to run right now, but will check back later...do feel free to call me any time.  Best to you - you will be in great hands!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 02:39:23 pm »
Hi, DJ,

Just wanted to agree with cindyj that you'll be in great hands at House. I had translab surgery there almost three years ago and am still in awe of the amazing care and treatment I received. I live in New Jersey and had absolutely no problems on my cross-country flight back home ten days after surgery, which is the usual timeframe for post-surgical flight.

My husband and I stayed at Seton Hall and found it to be comfortable. The close proximity to both St. Vincent's Medical Center (connected to Seton by a basement walkway) and House Ear Clinic (just across the street) was very reassuring. Another good thing about Seton is the camaraderie that develops among the other patients and family members -- just about everyone there is going through the same thing! -- and I'll bet that you and your son will find some folks there who will be happy to take him "under their wings" during your stay.

There are many, many postings on this forum about House and Seton experiences, and if you do a search on those terms (as well as the postings of individuals who've been to House) you'll find a number of appropriate threads. I imagine you've been given the name of a nurse who will be your personal contact -- you might want to call or e-mail him/her with some of your specific questions. I carried on a lengthy e-mail correspondence with my nurse prior to surgery and she always responded quickly and accurately. I'm confident that once you arrive at House your level of comfort will soar and you'll find that you're ready to head into surgery and recovery.

Best wishes,

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 08:46:34 pm »
Hi DJ!

I don't get back here to the forums as often as I'd like to, but when I saw the roller coaster comment I had to chime in!  I'll also provide some of my experiences along the way...  As everyone else has stated... "I am not a doctor!" :)

My AN is on my left side...does that mean I will not be able to sleep on my left side after surgery.  I cannot sleep on my right side...

I had to sleep with at least a 10 degree incline for several days (doctors orders).  That meant I was pretty much on my back.  After that, I slept on either side without difficulty.

Will I have troubel bending over?  I have read about some people having a great deal of pressure bending over, does this last forever?  Are you in danger of bursting something and causing a leak if you do? 

I do not remember having any trouble or extra pressure with bending over after surgery.  There is a 6 to 12 week period where you can't lift too much weight, but I don't remember being told not to bend.  We are supposed to try not to sneeze, but if you have to, do not try to hold it inside.

As Clarice mentioned, they will remove the vestibular/balance nerve.  I remember reading somewhere that they used to try to save it, but it was far more difficult for the patient to adapt to a damaged "mis-firing" vestibular nerve than one that has been removed entirely.  I did stay away from roller coasters for a while, but have recently started on them again!  Here is the one I went on most recently! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Rip_Ride_Rockit

As those before me have said already, everyone's recovery is different.  They didn't have a room for me and were going to keep me in ICU for a second night, so I told my doctor I wanted to go home, and he agreed completely!  I was in one day and home the next night.  I was alert the evening of my surgery and up and around quite a bit the next day.  I was eating subway subs the day after surgery, but my story is definitely on the far side of optimal.  We'll say a few prayers for you and keep our fingers crossed too!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

ReneeK

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 09:13:36 pm »
I am having surgery on 12/6/10 with Dr. Friedman. I am having the translab approach, because my hearing in the AN ear is very poor. My tumor is small 1.1cm x 0.7cm, I'm sure we will meet while in St. Vincents :) Just like you I am extremely nervous  :o and can't wait for it to be over. I will send you a message with my personal e-mail.

Renee

djmassey

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 02:21:07 pm »
Wow...I am so glad I found you all.  Thank you for all the comments.  You have made me feel so much better.  The freaking out is gone and has been replaced with a wonderful calm.  8) I cannot thank you all enough. 

Life has been crazy this weekend but without you all I could not have made it through.  I work fulltime and attend college on-line at a college that only does 8 week courses.  This weekend was my 6th week and I have to cram everything for the last two weeks in this week before my surgery.  I had a paper due yesterday that I would have never of been able to get through if it had not been for your replies and the calmness you gave me.

I feel so much strength from you all.  I am sure you all know how much that means. Thanks again. dj  ;)

~ Mahatma Gandhi

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 03:42:47 pm »
DJ,I sent you a personal message with a lot of info about my experiences at House...Let me know that you got it and read it. Good luck and I'll be praying for you!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Lizard

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 03:48:49 pm »
I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, looks like lots of good advice from the caring folks around here.  You are in the best and most capable hands.
Hang in there,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

jugee

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 06:06:38 pm »
So, how did you do with everything?  Was the House Dr.'s good, etc.