Author Topic: CK Success!  (Read 3337 times)

sunfish

CK Success!
« on: March 02, 2011, 10:07:40 am »
One year MRI this week shows tumor has turned dark in center and "involuted," or collapsed.  I'm considering this to be a huge success!  The neurosurgeon says he believes I "will never need to have anything else done" to this tumor.  Another MRI scheduled in 6 months.

I still have balance and vision problems.  I'm going to a neuro-opthalmologist for my vision in a few weeks.  I now have days which are a little better, a little worse, as far as my balance goes.  I've lost a lot of hearing in my AN ear, especially in the high frequencies, but my speech discrimination scores aren't too bad.  I do struggle on a daily basis with my hearing impairment.

The neurosurgeon has me taking pentoxyfilline (trental) to combat the side effects of radiation.  He told me yesterday I should keep taking it for at least another year, as I'm still in the time period where radiation-induced side effects can crop up.  I feel like such a guinea pig! (but a happy little guinea pig, today!).
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: CK Success!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:43:27 pm »
Sunfish,

That is good news that the AN seems to be doing what we all hope for after treatment.  I too have lost hearing on my An side, but the doctor recomended a hearing aid.  It really has given that side the boost that I needed.  As you I can hear without it but it really improves the hearing wearing it.  You may want to talk to your doctor to find out if that will help you any.

TJ

sunfish

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:56:11 pm »
I've had a hearing aid for about a year and a half.  I got it before my AN diagnosis.  They keep having to "tweak" the settings, as my hearing deteriorates.  However, I love my little "Dot" hearing aid, and can't understand why people are so slow to want to use these!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 03:10:34 pm »
Sunfish ~

I love to peruse the threads and see titles that have the word 'success!' in them.  Congratulations on your 'dying' AN and I hope your other issues improve/stabilize in the next few months. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

crivers

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 06:25:58 am »
That is great news. Best of luck going forward. I have another month to go before my one year post. I hope for similar results.
Cayce
Rt side AN - discovered
Jul 09: 6mmx4mmx4mm
Feb 10: 8mmx5mmx5mm

CyberKnife - Stanford - Dr. Chang and Soltys
April 5 - 9th, 2010

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 08:11:42 am »
Awesome news!!! Looking forward to hearing about your next MRI in 6 months!
Jays
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:09:46 pm »
Necrosis is good!  Congrats, sunfish!!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways