Author Topic: Vertigo  (Read 5784 times)

Chances3

Vertigo
« on: March 03, 2011, 08:17:31 pm »
I had my AN removed 4 months ago.  My vestibular nerve was severed in the hope that it would end
the vertigo attacks.  Since the surgery I have had 5 attacks.  They are severe - complete spin for 1-3 minutes,
although it feels like an eternity.  There are no warning signs, they come as a total surprise.  I have had bad
days when I expected an attack and it never happened, only to have totally unexpected attacks in good days.

Having said that, are any of you suffering from this same problem ?  if so, any ideas on curing it ?
Clearly the severed vestibular nerve hasn't done the trick.  My primary care physician has recommended
I take Xanax.  I have read up on it, I don't see the correlation to preventing more attacks.
Is anyone taking this drug and if so, how are your results ?

Thank you everyone for the help.

moe

Re: Vertigo
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 08:50:12 pm »
Hmmm, I take xanax but not for vertigo- for the tinnitus. Something about calming the firing neurons in my brain. It brings my T down from a scream to a high pitch screach.
So it may calm the vertigo neurons ??? Dunno, but may be worth a try. I'm sure it will be small dose, like mine (0.5 mg three times/day)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:35:26 am »
I would be VERY cautious of taking Xanax, I have worked in mental health for over 20 years and this drug is highly addicting and the withdrawl is severe.
There other drugs to be tried for vertigo that aren't addicting, talk to your doctor. I have tried things that haven't really made much of a difference. I have found over time the vertigo has become such that usually I don't really notice it. I usually only notice it if I stop and think about it, try walking around in the dark or with my eyes closed or of course if I get sick (like the flu or a sinus problem) than it's a killer!
Just my two cents.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Brewers7

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:23:33 pm »
I had severe vertigo post op for 5 - 6 months.  I took xanax (Alprazolam in generic) for a host of reasons.  It was very calming and helpful to me, but I got off of it as soon as I could for the reasons Kathleen stated.  It is not intended for long term use.  Just be careful and talk to your doctor about how to avoid problems with it.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:03:51 am »
Hiya Chances3

I've been going to see a neurophysiotherapist who give me hand/eye co-ordination exercises to do and they seem to be working as I haven't had as many 'attacks' since beginning only a few weeks ago.

The exercises involve opening and closing the eyes while moving my head. Holding a pen and following with my eyes and then holding the pen still while moving my head toward it as well as a few others.  I'm going again tomorrow and will see if I can scan the exercises onto the computer and I could email them to you to try if you like.
I'm sure there are sites on the net with similar things.

It may not be a cure but at least it's working a tad for now.

Best of luck.

Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

nftwoed

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:47:28 pm »
Chances3;

Time... Your good ear has to learn to compensate. You probably lost more good vestibular function than you think when the nerve was severed.
  VRT ( Vestibular Rehabilitative Therapy ) can be performed by a Physical Therapist trained in such. Something to ask Dr. about.
  About benzos; Xanax is considered one of the most addictive with a short half life. If a benzo helps, maybe considering asking for a long acting one as Valium or Klonipin. But, they are addictive as well.
  Re; "Quick spins" or longer episodes of 'true' vertigo', meclizine, phenergen, or dramamine are worth the sleep if you truly get sick to the point of vomiting and the true vertigo doesn't relent. I've been hospitalized 3 xs for incapacitating vertigo lasting at least 24 hours each episode. As always, ask your Dr. before trying these things on your own. Valium will make you more sleepy than Xanax, and meclizine, etc. are additive ( synergistic effect ). EG; 1+1=3

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 01:59:18 pm »
ZOFRAN....WONDER DRUG! It is used for cancer patients to fight vertigo. It is made by GlaxoSmithKline, and is uber expensive, but there is a generic. Talk to your doc. I had vertigo big time prior to surgery, and this stuff works very quickly. 30 tablets were $1800, so get the generic.

James