Author Topic: Question about BAHA surgery  (Read 5464 times)

Puppylove

Question about BAHA surgery
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:51 pm »
Hi all you BAHA users,

Tomorrow will be 5 weeks post op since my retrosig surgery.  I'm actually doing really well, started driving last weekend and only take ibuprofen occasionally for head pains (not headaches).  My neck is really stiff, which causes head pain on my AN side.  I'm trying to do range of motion stretches to help.

Anyway, I want to get a BAHA, but I have a question regarding the surgery process.  Right now I have maxed my out of pocket through the insurance, so anything else that I need will be paid at 100%, as long as it is done by March 31st.  I'm thinking of getting the BAHA procedure done in March, which would be between 8 - 10 weeks post op. Am I crazy to have this second surgery so soon after the retrosig?  My head is tender, but mainly numb.  Can you think of any good reasons to wait for a few more months?  I really want the BAHA (have already done the evaluation), but I don't want to have to pay anymore if I don't need to.

Hope this makes sense ;)

Debbie
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
Re: Question about BAHA surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:06:41 pm »
Debbie,

Talk with your doctors. I don't really see a problem if you feel up to it, but I am not a doctor and have no business giving advice such advice. The surgery is not bad, but I did have some more serious discomfort three and four days out than I expected, but oxycodone took care of what acetaminophen did not. I can certainly understand wanting to do this while everything is covered at a 100%. I had tried to schedule a colonoscopy for the same reason, but found insurance would not cover until I turn 50 (which is next year) unless there is a problem (which there is not).

Talk to your doctors.

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:44:25 pm »
My surgery experiences were not bad at all.  It's almost like a trip to the dentist office.  I would talk to your surgeon about the BAHA surgery and your future.  He/she can decide to do the surgery and if you are up to it.  Good luck! ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

Puppylove

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:16:07 pm »
Thank you both for your replies.  My doctor is fine with it, I was just more curious about the pain/recovery issue for myself.  I was just wondering how much pain did you have in your head after the BAHA surgery and how long did it last?  I am leaning towards getting it done next month, but don't want to make the pain in my head worse, since I'm not really having all that much right now.
Diagnosed with AN on left side 11/5/10. The              
approximate dimensions are 14 mm AP x 18 mm TR x 15 mm CC.
Retrosig surgery w/ Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz at HEI on 1/12/11. Entire tumor removed with no facial weakness.
BAHA surgery 3/29/11

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:42:16 pm »
In that case you probably won't have a problem. It is not comparable to your original surgery and any recovery is only a matter of days. I did have a couple of relatively bad days, but then again, it is a stressful period at work.

Go for it and good luck!

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 04:26:30 pm »
Debbie -

BAHA surgery is nothing like AN surgery.  Go for it.

The numb head will actually help you - even though there is little or no pain from the BAHA surgery a numb head is an advantage.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:28:05 am »
I never had any pain. They hollow out an area about the size of the BAHA to remove hair and allow the screw to project beyond the remaining flesh. Mine was done with a straight line incision rather than a flap that gets folded back, stripped and then sewn back in place. I suppose with the straight incision they still have to hollow out the flesh, and they must have severed some nerves around the  site. Mine was done in July 2010, and my head was numb for about a 5" radius around the surgery site. The nerves are still reconnecting, and I still have some small areas that are still numb. No pain, but it is like going to  the dentist and not feeling your jaw for two hours. I'm sure all of my nerves will eventually return to normal. So, if you are still numb from your AN surgery, this will just piggy back right on top of that. You will enjoy the BAHA. I just had dinner in a noisy restaurant last night, tuned my BAHA down to a comfortable level, and enjoyed the conversation among 6 people. I know some people have had problems getting there BAHA programmed to fit their needs, but I guess I lucked out...mine is set up just right. The only time I turn mine off when I wear it, is in the car. It picks up the road/tire noise and I turn it off then. Technology is wonderful! Good luck to you.

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:37:07 am »
I did not have AN surgery and had the BAHA surgery without the advantage of a numb head (though some may disagree about my not having a numb head!)  Though I was given a prescription for Vicodin, I think I took only one the first night and after that for maybe a day and a half, took only tylenol or advil.  Slight soreness, no real pain.  A little discomfort when sleeping, but so very minimal.  At least that was my experience.  Good luck.
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:46:41 am »
Everyone's pain tolerance is different.  That being said, in my experience, the pain from BAHA surgery was minimal. 

My neurotologist gave me a Rx for Vicodin that I never had filled.  I took a few extra-strength Tylenol the first day or two post op but after that I was fine.

Your doc should give you something - based on your need for it, don't hesitate to take it.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 09:10:54 pm »
I am 4 days post BAHA surgery, and I too have minimal pain. I think the worse part of it all has been wearing this %$% cap thing over my abutment! LOL!  Seriously though, if that is the worse thing I can say about this whole thing, then you can get the idea of just how easy this was....PM me or post here if you have anymore questions about my experiences....
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston