Author Topic: New Baha Information  (Read 4047 times)

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
New Baha Information
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:43:12 pm »
Hi All,
I got some very interesting information this week from my audiologist.  I have been having my BP100/BP3 tweaked fairly regularly.  I have been having some trouble with feedback.  It's been sent back to Cochlear twice and we have also had to adjust for volume issues.  I tried the Intenso and was just not as comfortable with that.  Perhaps because it is not yet programmable, but that is coming.  However, it was also not as comfortable on my head.  Evidently, cochlear does not know how long it will take them to come out with the new Intenso.  The interesting thing I found out last week is that Oticon is coming out with an intensified Ponto Pro model  in spring...just a couple of months from now.  I'm waiting to get the details and will let you all know.  Anyone with the old cochlear abutment would be able to wear the Oticon.  However, if you have the new Cochlear abutment, the whole screw does not have to be replaced, just the top abutment can be changed in the doctor's office.  This is not a change that is an "upgrade" because you would be going from one company to another, so it would be an out of pocket expense.  Cost is unknown at this time.  More to follow as info becomes available.
~Dale
PS  This is evidently not ONLY for people with poor hearing on the non SSD side.
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

Paul F

Re: New Baha Information
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:32:02 pm »
Dale,
Thanks for the info.  I wear or, should I say own an Intenso.  It has been almost useless to me except when I'm not wearing my hearing aid in the better ear.  The Intenso just over rides and drowns out any of the sounds that I would like to hear.  I have been waiting for it's upgrade as I imagine many of us here have been but, after seeing the process of getting the bugs out of the BP-100, I don't think we will be seeing anything from Chochlear for quite some time.  Seems like Pronto is having much better success with their models.  I'm so fed up that I am going to try a new Bi-Cros by Phonak in May and see how that goes.  I wore one years ago, kind of antique with the wire running from ear to ear.  They have come a long way and I hope it will help me out.

It will be interesting to see if Oticon can come out with super power Ponto for us with moderate hearing in the good ear.   Please keep us informed.

Paul

ksiwek

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 01:10:28 pm »
All,  I am a current Ponto Pro wearer...and I love it!  I haven't had any issues with it since I began wearing it in December!  I'd be happy to discuss my positive experience with anyone considering it.  I have been in contact several times with the oticon rep and he did echo what Dale posted.  They so have a new model coming soon that would be compared to the intenso but on a digital platform with more channels.  As I learn more I will post!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:01:28 am »
Would love to hear more as you get more info.  I originally chose the Cochlear  BP100 because in my demos I just found it easier to use and found that the sound was somewhat better.  However, I have had some issues with feedback.  The sound is wonderful and I definitely can tell the difference if it is off or I am not wearing it.  I love that I know when someone is talking to me on my SSD side.  However, volume has been an issue for me.  I think that may be part of why I have the feedback problem.  The audiologist has cranked this up as far as she can, but that gives me feedback.  When she lowers the program, or when I decrease the volume I just don't hear as well and it is frustrating, especially in a noisy environment.  I demoed the Intenso, but because it is not programmable, I found it just increased the noise everywhere.  It was also larger and I found it somewhat uncomfortable on my head.  I am never aware of my BP100 when I am wearing it, but I did feel the Intenso, and was relieved to take it off.  Therefore, I will be very interested in test driving the new Oticon intensified device.  They will of course, have to change my abutment if I decide to go for it.  The other issue is cost.  Cochlear, at this point would swap out my BP100 for the Intenso.  I would have to pay out of pocket for the Oticon device.  My insurance won't pay for it.  If I waited 3 more years Medicare would kick in and pay for it, but I'm not sure I want to wait that long.  I guess I just have to wait til it is available and try it out and see what I think.  It's a huge expense, but I will have to see if it is worth it.  I do like my BP100/BP3 and find life better with it than without it, by far.  I just think there could still be some improvement.  I am not expecting pre-SSD hearing, so I am not at a point where I am looking for perfection.  Just improvement.  Keep me posted on what you hear.  What made you choose the Oticon device to begin with?  I know Dr. Battista uses both.

I have certainly followed your story, and you have done phenomenally well.  How is your baby doing? 
~Dale
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles

ksiwek

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:33:21 am »
Hey Dale,

Insurance can be so complicated!  I am very interested to see feedback from the new Oticon device when it launches...it may make your decision easier!?!?!

I have not had any issues with feedback (except for when I accidentally put pressure on it, e.g. I am rocking the baby and turn my head to far  ;D).  I still find word recognition very difficult in noisy situations, but I am finding that now I at least know someone is speaking to me and can adjust to hear what they are saying.  Like you, I recognize that we will never have pre-SSD hearing...but it is an improvement for sure!

I deliberated a long time about which device to go with (ask Jan!).  I talked to patients, doctors and reps for both companies.  I am in medical device sales myself.  One of my products is the gastric band....there are only 2 companies that offer this implant in the US.  Given my background, I found myself over thinking everything!!!!

In the end, I based my decision on ease of use (I liked the single large button, battery door and volume control), the attachment mechanism (it has a lot of give for accidental bumps) and the idea that the abutment was compatible with the Ponto Pro and the BP100.  It also seemed like quite a few people were sending their BP100 devices in for tweaking, so I decided to give Oticon a try!  What I have found is that Oticon has been very helpful and I am a very satisfied with the product.  As a side note, they make an extra long abutment and an angled abutment should you need it...

The baby is doing great!  I can't believe he is 9 months!  I am going to try going back to work in 2 weeks.  My eyes have improved and wonky head is much better.  Wish me luck!

Keep me posted on what you decide!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

Mark241

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 04:08:28 pm »
Hello, I have been looking into getting one of these devices for some time, been waiting to put some time between surgeries for the placement. My ENT friend recommend the Ponto, glad to see someone out there has one to ask. Looking at a July date.
4cm C1  16hrs                 Barrows, Jan 06      NF2
3.5 cm  Right AN retro       Barrows, Oct 06   
Cranial Plate removal           UNM Nov 07
LP                                   Barrows  Jan,2011
Wound revision                 Barrows Feb, 2011
5mm left middle Fossa,  (2) 2mm spine w&w

dalern

• www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 02:08:53 am »
So glad the baby is doing well and you are thinking about going back to work!!!  Yea!  Let's stay in touch about the Oticon updates.  The one real downside for me, is related to the abutment.  I'm not positive if the abutment top can just be changed in the MD's office, or if I would have to have the whole thing pulled and go for another surgical procedure.  If that is the case, it's a no go for me for now.  It 2 1/2 years I will be on Medicare, and will perhaps wait till then....because I have heard Medicare will pay.  For now, it would be an out of pocket expense for me. 
~Dale
Tarzana, CA