Author Topic: Gettin' BAHA done...tomorrow!! (2/25)  (Read 7313 times)

Goldie

Re: Gettin' BAHA done...tomorrow!! (2/25)
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 01:12:14 pm »
Congrats, Jay!  I'm just over a month now with my Ponto Pro "hooked up" and it's going great.  I no longer need to worry that I'm walking on someone's right side, and it's a treat to sit down at a table and not worry about my placement with the others.  It's not perfect (they never said it would be), but it really is a huge step towards feeling normal.  I do still struggle in noisy settings, but it's nothing like it was before the BAHA.

As for some of the other comments about Ponto Pro versus the BP100, my audiologist at Mayo said the requests from her patients are about 50-50.  She personally felt she had fewer return with problems with the Ponto Pro, but the previous audiologist I met with didn't indicate anything like that.  I also am having no problems with feedback, which I've read with some of the BP100 users.  I'm happy with my choice, but I know others are just as happy with the BP100.  Whatever works for you!

Denise D.
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 07:47:45 pm »
I was able to try both units out and talked with both audiologists at length. They gave me the pluses and minuses as they saw them. As with any advice, it is typically limited to their own experiences. I chose the Ponto Pro and look forward to April 1.

Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

Mei Mei

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 07:49:29 pm »
Sounds like the Ponto is a nice choice after reading your experiences in noisy places which is my problem and then the experience of the distributor having fewer returns.   I usually tend to go for the older model but from what you are all saying it sounds like a good bet.

Congratualtions to you all!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

moe

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 10:59:34 am »
Good to hear about your new BAHA, Jay. ;)
I also got the Ponto, and really like it.
Are you putting any antibiotic ointment around the abutment area??? May want to ask, since there is a little drainage.
The wait begins...
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 07:10:17 pm »
Good to hear about your new BAHA, Jay. ;)

That was cute Moe! No, I haven't put anything on it, as there is like a protective cap over the whole thing (which I assume will get removed at my first follow up appointment on Monday).  There's a small hole in the center of this cap that allows for drainage, and oh yeah, it drains and drains. I keep joking that's my brain spilling out, so if I have a "duh" moment, blame it on that! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Mei Mei

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 07:40:33 pm »
Duh moment...I like that term.    I get loopy when I take strong meds for my headaches and now I can use that as an opposite to the Aha Moment.

Just saw this link on the BAHA on medline and thought you might want to watch it.    They are very informative:   (If you get quezzy, don't watch)

http://www.orlive.com/hartfordhospital/videos/baha-bone-anchored-hearing-treatment-procedure2?view=displayPageNLM

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 09:07:30 pm »
Mei Mei, wow...thanks for that link...just watched it!  My incision site isn't nearly as big as the one in this video, but I am sure everything else they did is the same...thanks again, i'll share this with everyone so I can have more people feel sorry for me that I had to go through all this! LOL
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Mei Mei

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 07:57:48 am »
You're welcome, Jay.    If it helps, I feel sorry for you, too.   The movie said it all.   I wish I could get a BAHA, but I'm still dealing with the issues of the headaches and cutting the nerves or taking out the mesh.

Just think, you'll be in the hearing world very soon.   Can't wait for your messages after turn on day.

Hugs to the pain and suffering!
Mei Mei  :o
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo